Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

AngelaN
Valued Contributor

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  11:55:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Nick, that is "working smarter" for sure. It really is a necessity when we are on the clock like we are, and especially when the wasted time comes out of our hide.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  03:35:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobinMay

But I am feeling a bit used and abused by low pay,not enough time on project to where I have to beg to get paid for my time and watch payroll to make sure the little bit of free time does not amount to more.Not to mention babysit these newbies during resets because they just do not care or have any experience.

If Driveline or any other company is making you work without pay or if you are doing a flat rate job and you go over time so much that the hourly gross falls below min. wage, please report them to the federal and state labor boards.

Working without pay is a big problem, not to mention it is a HUGE worker's comp no-no. If you get hurt on the job after you ran out of time and were told you are not getting paid for your extra time, you have a big problem on your hands and the company you work for has an even bigger problem on their hands.

Any time a supervisor says or implies that you will not get paid for going over time, you have to leave the store once time is up. I know this makes for bad relationships with stores, but then, this is why it is important to work only for companies that respect their employees and their clients enough to not let this happen.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1669 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  05:49:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The way I look at it, when I enter a store to do a job there for any company my time starts when I stand in line to sign the vendor book. I am not standing there for non work related purposes.
Go to Top of Page

ActorMichael
Valued Contributor

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  08:45:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My time starts once my car is in that locations parking lot.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Nick_S
Valued Contributor

Los Angeles, California
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  3:41:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
AngelaN, I respect and enjoy working for both companies, however since I am not on a clock, I try to manage my time efficiently, so that my hourly pay equates to $10 per hour. Most of the time, I do have extra time left, where I will finish a service call before the equivalent of $10 per hour kicks in. Yet when I first started working for the one company, the company where I have to visit 12 stores, the District Manager was getting on my case about my asking for extra time / over time and she basically gave me the business about my needing to learn how to manage my time, so I can get the service call done in the allotted time. Yet within about 3 months, I knew the ins-and-outs of my job, I was able to work much faster, but U then learned about ways to get each service call done correctly and satisfactorily UNDER the allotted time. Yet I found signing in and out of the vendor log and that arrival chit chat with the manager was costing me to waste about 15 extra minutes. Yet before I leave the store, I am still able to get in a nice social and business chat with the manager, yet having 2 separate chats with the manager is just not necessary and causes a waste of time . . . yet I do end up having to chat with the managers during my service call if I have a problem and I need their help or they will seek me out if they have a problem . . . yet thus far, 99 percent of the time, I can get all what I need to get done, while skipping the sign in and out of the vendor log and skipping that arrival chat with the manager.

LarryT, the companies that I work for only employee me as a part-time employee. However us employees of both companies know that we are getting paid a flat rate for each service call at each store. Yet the company gives you a certain amount of time for each service call, often broken down in minutes, which you actually see before you do the service call. Yet since we are self-managed, it is our job as a Merchandiser, not to go over 8 hours per day . . . without prior approval to do so. Thus I know I can only go to so many stores per day, to make sure that I do not end up having more than 8 hours on the books for any one day. Asking for extra time or overtime is not a problem if it is for a reset job, which I rarely will do, but it is a pain to ask for extra time when it comes to doing regular merchandising work. Lucky for me, I have not asked for overtime since last Summer. However both companies (based in other states) take in account of our local California labor laws. Thus is why they do not want us working longer than 8 hours or 480 minutes per day, without prior approval. In general, 99 percent of the merchandising work I do for each company is also broken down by minutes to complete each service call . . . thus making sure that we do not go over 480 minutes per day . . . which makes it easy for me to track that I am getting paid $10 per hour. Now with that being said, both companies are great, because 99 percent of the time, I usually can complete a service call in about 90 to 95 per cent of the time they state that the service call should take . . . thus USUALLY always leaving me with a few extra free and paid minutes after each service call, since each service call is a flat fee that equates to earning $10 per hour.

Nick
Go to Top of Page

SheilaDuhart
Trainee

Cincinnati, Ohio
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  03:42:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When it comes to doing seasonal switchover, I am curious to know some strategies to keep it within 15 minutes. I always go over. I can usually pull the cards fast but it always takes more time to set the new ones. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sheila
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1669 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  07:01:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What I do is keep track of my time as to when I start cuz they will not pay overtime for cards. Just do what you can.. I try to put out as many cards as I can and put out the backers (headers with types of cards) on next visit. I do not work one minute over for them. Put the stuff you cannot put out in the red bag.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaDuhart
Trainee

Cincinnati, Ohio
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  9:48:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am going to have to work harder on the going overtime part. It happened again today, but not as much.

Sheila
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
514 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  10:53:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They won't pay you to get the job done right don't finish it, get done what they pay for and leave it at that, keep things neat and clean, finish what you can then leave, it's not right we know but neither is their gameplan.

M&H Z

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1669 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2013 :  05:50:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Subject: Reporting overages

Hello Team, I know a lot of you are new here is how to do overages. When at a store & you know you are going to go over the time allowed you must:

Call me from the store & explain why you will be going over the time.
If I do not answer it must be left on my voice mail
Never tell a manager that you do not have any time left & cannot finish the project
All projects especially resets and cut ins need to have store managements approval & signatures before leaving for the day. We are in the busy season so we will not have time to go back to fix issues.
When you get home ,you must email me daily with any overages. In the email I will need the store number ,the project number, what kind of store ( DG , FD ect) I will need the amount of extra time spent, along with the explanation of why there is overages.
Enter you plan as you normally would until you get to the final time to enter, stop & do not push the submit button. I write the overages on a sheet which has to go to upper management for final approval, it may be a couple of days before the overages are entered, you may see the plan flashing as incomplete, it will do so until the time is entered so do no worry!!!!!!!!
The most important part is you must report this daily, do not close out the plan, if the plan gets closed you are agreeing the time entered is correct & you will not get the extra time. Any questions with this let me know .
^ above is copy and paste of email from my DM.........
Go to Top of Page

Gene Grubbs
Contributor

Illinois
USA
95 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  3:41:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Driveline has what is advertised as a route with 10 stores, all within minimal distance. Given the geography of the territory, I seems it has to be one of the dollar store chains.

Any info on what this likely involves - product, pay, schedules etc appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  4:11:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Gene, they primarily service Family Dollar and Dollar General. Pay is minimal...like in the $8-$9 range. You will print a ton of pages in the beginning (for the routine jobs). You will work more than they pay you for, because they will seldom pay you for any extra time over what they think it should take. That is IF you have a District Manager that ever answers your calls.
Lest you think I detest Driveline, that isn't the case. Working for Driveline will likely put you in touch with other merchandisers, which is good fpr networking to find additional work.

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Gene Grubbs
Contributor

Illinois
USA
95 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  4:43:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sharon,

Thanks for the info. I haven't really decided whether to apply or not. My current merchandising company is great, and pays well, however in being in a smaller market,hours are more limited.

How flexible is the schedule usually? That's a big thing for me, as I work full time in a non merchandising job. Working 2nd shift, I have morning free to work part time gigs.

I've had a few additional merchandising jobs, but the hours were so limited (2 -3 per month) due to the smaller market area, they really weren't worth the red tape...and additional bosses.

Gene
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
883 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  5:05:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Generally the schedule is flexible. As I said, they aren't horrible as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. Like most merchandising gigs, it is feast or famine. There will be a few weeks throughout the year that you will be worked to death. For these times, they use helpers that use infrequently. If you only want a little extra money from time to time, that might be another option for you.
Good luck!

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl NC
Valued Contributor

Fairview, NC
USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  4:00:00 PM  Send Cheryl NC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Sheila --- i am not sure if anyone has answered you. There is NO way possible to do the seasonal switch out in 15 minutes. Your manager should have explained that you do the seasonal switch out first and then use the remaining time (if there is any, usually there is not) to do your weekly work. (You get two assignments per store during seasonal switch out, one for the holiday and one for regular service) Of course this usually puts you far behind the next week when there is twice as many cards to put out and usually that does not get finished as well. Basically you just keep playing catch up..... the stores do not like it, but if you explain that is what you were told to do, it will at least show them you are doing the best you can, with what you were given to do. Hope this helps. :)

MSPA Gold Certified
Merchandising in the Beautiful Mountains of Western North Carolina!
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl NC
Valued Contributor

Fairview, NC
USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  4:21:24 PM  Send Cheryl NC an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pay is biweekly. Driveline services the Family/General Dollar stores, grocery stores, dept stores, big box stores, mall stores, drug stores and warehouse stores. You cannot work on Friday-Sunday unless the plan is a weekend plan (usually during holidays) Being that you work second shift, this is probably a good fit for you. You will need to be upfront from the get-go about your other job so that other people are found to cover your large resets. You service the same stores and will get to know the staff in each of the stores. Be friendly, remember names, and do a good job and you will be golden. The pay is on the unfriendly side (I believe I read it was the lowest of all merchandising companies)when you start. However the work is always there and the company is growing in leaps and bounds. We were told double the work next year, and we are already very busy. Make sure you tell them you have experience and this will reflect in your starting wage. Driveline can be very demanding. The copious amount of printing will blow through your ink cartridges faster than you can replace them - you are not reimbursed for office supplies. However there is an APP you can use on your phone now, and that saves the trees. I am not familiar with management in Illinois.... but the key to enjoying the job is having a good manager with great communication skills. So ask a lot of questions on your interview about the amount of time they will be available to help. Also some managers micro-manage the teams to death, including moving your work around and telling you that are not allowed to move jobs - again ask questions. If a job has to be done in 1 - 3 weeks - do you HAVE to have it done in the first four days??? Questions like that will give you a good idea what you are getting involved with. Hope this helps.

MSPA Gold Certified
Merchandising in the Beautiful Mountains of Western North Carolina!
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  1:28:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got a call from DL asking if I wanted to work with a team resetting in WMs. Job starts at 5am. No idea what Walmart or anything. I told the guy I preferred to work on my own. He didn't sound like someone I would want to work for anyway. If it's the WM near my home 5am wouldn't be bad, but anywhere else would be leaving at 4am or earlier. I don't think so.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  5:36:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Most likey the chip resets. They only work in teams.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
185 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  6:01:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My work has me in various Walmart stores 5 days a week.

In talking with department managers and assistant managers, I'm finding out that they are trying to move large resets to either overnight (11pm-6am) or early mornings (5am-8am)- depending on the size of the rest it seems- so as to be of least inconvenience to customers. It makes a good deal of sense, but I am not a fan of those hours at all (and I actually enjoy doing resets).

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  6:32:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In my area WM started doing only overnight resets in March 2013. The hours are 11PM-7AM only in the GM depts. I don't remember what the hours were for the food. I don't do overnights anymore, so I never get any resets anymore at WM,

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums