Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2842 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  12:12:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If I don't get my disability approved, I might need to go back into merchandising. My question is, if you had to start over, would you still be with DL?

They are the only ones that are advertising in my area.

Do you do whatever is in YOUR store?

Is there many heavier resets in the $stores?

Marla
Go to Top of Page

LuptonInVirginia
Contributor

Virginia
USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  06:38:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Driveline is fairly consistent but we are getting into the busy time which means more work. Most of the jobs aren't physically strenuous however some, like the recent Family Dollar laundry reset, can be with the constant lifting and movement of product and the movement of shelves. Sometimes we get projects that require us to set up a preformed display unit and sometimes those are heavy.

For the most part there isn't a lot of heavy lifting but occasionally there is.

If I am assigned a store I do everything that comes up on my schedule for that store. If not they have to have someone else come in to do it and if someone else is going to come in and do a project they might as well assign the entire store to them.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

ShaunC
Trainee

Searcy, AR
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  8:09:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to report on my first impression of Driveline.

I applied for a job, as they were all over NARMS for 'Master Merchandisers'. After waiting a couple days, I called their number and followed through to the employment extension. I actually did speak to a person, which is a win in my book. However, my optimism ended there when I had to actually try to get help from the person who took my call. She was very curt, and I got the overall impression that I was bothering her by asking for information about employment. I was then given an email address, and she said that that site would give me information.

HUH???

I will be trying again and hope I speak to another person.

Shaun
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  4:34:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thats what happened to me on my first contact only it was a district manager that called me. I could tell by the tone of his voice he was only interested that I was breathing. I declined, I could just feel it wasn‘t right.
Go to Top of Page

ShaunC
Trainee

Searcy, AR
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  09:42:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LuptonInVirginia

Driveline is fairly consistent but we are getting into the busy time which means more work.

So how much chance does one have to get full time employment with them? Is there any possibility?

Shaun
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  3:53:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shaun, I highly doubt that you can get full time with them. Realistically, if you are a good worker, you can get a full time job with some great companies that pay MUCH better. I would never, never, ever suggest anyone put all their eggs into this basket.

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  4:37:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I worked for them for 7 years, when I started getting 30 hours a week with them,they hired more merchandisers in my area and gave them some of my jobs so that I was down to 10 hours a week.
I don't think DL ever has full time work. I quit them when I got a new DM that was a total jerk. 22 years old and thought they knew more then me with my 17 years at the time experience.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

EdMikes
Valued Contributor

Salt Lake City, Utah
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  08:56:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is this company still around?

Have not seen any reps from them is over a year.

Ed Mikes
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2014 :  6:31:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In my area, DL does DG and FD major resets. I try to avoid going in those stores when they have the aisles and shelves a mess.
Go to Top of Page

CETillman
Valued Contributor

LA
USA
162 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  09:10:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes it's still around and if you have read the messages above you, you would of gotten some very important info. They advertise needing "Master Merchandisers" and I have even asked my DM about it and she still hasn't assigned me any work. Then, they will give you an assignment, delay it, very little hours and then think you ought to jump when they holler froggy...I am not happy with this company. I worked with them some last year(very little work) and this year and it is just not worth setting aside a good job from this one, don't count on getting enough work to pay bills.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  05:49:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good luck to anyone that wants to do these resets at $8 an hour when you can be making more money and have benefits doing something else. I quit when they did not give me a raise.
Go to Top of Page

CETillman
Valued Contributor

LA
USA
162 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  08:55:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not going for no $8 myself...ridiculous!
Go to Top of Page

EdMikes
Valued Contributor

Salt Lake City, Utah
USA
172 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  3:08:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah,

A few years back they offered me a position.

They told me it was going to be 25-30 hours a week merching I think it was Family Dollar stores in the area. When the area Manager called me she told me it "may be" ten hours some weeks but is more like 5-6 weekly. I told her I was not interested anymore. She actually asked me why and I told her it was not worth my time to drive to the stores do the work and then have taxes taken out it was actually easier not to work. She was amazed by my response and really did not get it.

But my overall impression was that they were just looking for a body and that was it.

Ed Mikes
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  12:42:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I applied with DL a couple years back. Heard nothing. Then one day out of the blue, a call from them, wanting to fill "teams" for an upcoming project in my area. I said I preferred to work alone, or with someone I knew and trusted.

A few weeks later, I got to witness one of those tasks being performed in a discount store. Chaos, with candy all over the floor around the registers, 2 workers sitting in the floor looking helpless, and a team lead- "professionally dressed" in jammie pants, flip-flops, and a worn out t-shirt - all helter-skelter trying to read and understand the POG's.

Any wonder DL has such a bad rep in those stores?
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  3:01:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
DL is not well received in my neck of the woods. I, too like to work alone and one day I received a call from one of their people trying to hire me for a "team" position. I declined and he became more than a little rude. Needless to say, this is one place I'm staying away from.
Go to Top of Page

LuptonInVirginia
Contributor

Virginia
USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  9:09:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Interesting responses here but I guess I'm the odd man out. I generally like doing work for Driveline. The pay is ok and the work is super easy, usually. The hours do fluctuate but then my hours with the other three companies I work for fluctuate as well. Lately I've been hammered with a lot of hours which means more money in my pocket.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Russell C.

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  7:03:15 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm another one is happy with Driveline. The pay is decent, (at least for me it is), they keep me busy, the work is fairly easy but yes some of the resets can be a bit more difficult, my DM is great, and I enjoy what I do. My philosophy is if you don't want to work for them or don't like the pay, fine, just don't complain about it, go somewhere else. No one is forcing you to work there. I just don't get all the bad rap it is getting.
Go to Top of Page

Darla61

Phoenix, Az
USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  10:53:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked for many years as a merchandisier, and for several different companies. Driveline is one of the worst. Also, stay away from Spar.

Darla H.
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  5:06:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had seen an ad for a Driveline Master Merchandiser on my daily update from RetailGigs.com but had not replied to it.

Well, today, I received a phone call from a Driveline recruiter about this very same opening. As she explained it to me, it was a step above their regular merchandiser position, as it guaranteed work in an established territory of stores and would also occasionally have me leading a team of merchandisers for larger sets or sets that had to be done in a very short amount of time due to client stipulations. I would also be expected to survey work performed by regular merchandisers in surrounding areas and report back to management on the quality of work done. I might also be occasionally required to meet with chain personnel up to the level of district management and explain what projects were being done and what might be coming down the pipeline.

Although I am not dissatisfied with my current position, I have often said that it pays to explore alternatives because you just never know what tomorrow (or, heck, even later today!) may bring in this field.

We got down to discussing compensation, and, while she would not commit to a particular amount, when she asked what I made with my present employer, her reaction was, "Oh....then I guess you wouldn't be interested in working with us."

So she was offering a position with far more responsibilities I have now but the pay was less? Sheesh......

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2014 :  8:10:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a district manager position to me, did this 20+ years ago, job paid $35K, been offered pretty much the same position a couple of times over the years, it pays less now.

Turned them down, perks ain't enough now like they were then, mileage, and such don't add up.............just not what it used to be.

HubbyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums