Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  1:53:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa, you can point the finger of blame directly at the economy.

When there are as many people unemployed and underemployed as is the case now, companies seem. by and large, to race to the bottom, to see just how little they can pay people to do the work. Remember that, as most companies are paid a fixed fee based on the number of stores in which they agree to complete a certain project, the less they can pay you to do it versus how much they were paid to do little but schedule you to do it means more money in their pockets.

Also, with the number of unempployed and underemployed so high, they figure that, if you won't do it, they'll have no problem finding someone else who will. Employers right now hold all the high cards.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

JulieSouthernIN
Valued Contributor

Clark, Indiana
USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  2:40:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For the most part, I do it because I enjoy what I do. When I started in merchandising, Driveline was the first company I got on with. I enjoy the different tasks, the stores, and 90% of my store managers. I work for one other company besides this one. At one point, I was working for 5 or 6 different companies. I can make what I want to make with these 2. Why put myself anywhere else?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  5:52:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I make more then $8 an hour. Driveline does give pay raises every year,unlike another company that I work for, that pays everyone the same wage and no matter how long you have been with them,they never,ever give raises for anything.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

DebsTN
Contributor

TN
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  5:53:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You earn more than $8. and you got a pay raise. Wow. you are lucky.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Sharron
Contributor

Richardson, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  6:31:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I make more than $8.00 an hour and I get a raise every year....I work hard because that is just the way I was raised, to do it right the first time, and besides it keeps me active so the Big C dose not take over...

Just got thru with a FD reset, two people and it took us 10 1/2 hours.... If you you work as a team and start with the chemicals and do one 4 ft section at a time, there won't be product all over the floor. We used a blue rolltainer and two boxes, for overstock and another for damaged product... You do not have to stock the shelves with new product, only what is already on the shelf, and you do not go around the store looking for product either... Only clean the shelves it the product has leaked.
This was the instructions that came from a email, from the home office...
Just got home, tired, ready to go rest... Talk to you all later..

Sharron
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  11:34:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also make more than $8.00 an hour and have gotten a raise from this company.
Go to Top of Page

DebsTN
Contributor

TN
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  04:04:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well you all have obviously been with the company for a while. I've been with them for 1 year. Didn't even get my 2nd bonus. I know before D/L took over the people were earning more than $8.
If you were hired on recently it would probably be $8. This is one of the lowest paying companies out there. I work for other companies and make between $9.50 - $15 hourly.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  06:22:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Mine was a similar experience.

Driveline paid- well, promised to pay if they actually gave me any work- $8/hr., no mileage, no drivetime, no paid training (except for the phone call). Other companies that I am now working for pay from $10.50/hr to $15/hr. and pay mileage, drivetime and training.

It's great that you get raises after a year; it's surprising that anyone puts up with the ridiculously low wages for that first year.

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

DebsTN
Contributor

TN
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:01:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
lol. no not so great. 24c. if you're lucky enough to get it. i'm still waiting. 2/6 was my anniversary date.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  09:14:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I sure hope this is not going to be the case. I talked with a DM over 5 months ago and filled out an ap online. He said he would have work in the near future (guess we have a different view of the word "near" lol), and he would call me. I finally heard from him. The phone call was very brief and he explained about some re-sets they are doing at Fed Ex. I also explained that I wanted steady lines to service weekly and not just project work, where you are hired to complete a project and then you have no work left. I got the impression that they were looking for bodies just to do these Fed Ex re-sets, frankly. We never got into pay (the phone call was only a few minutes) and he did say they have some steady work but did not go into any detail or even say that I would have any. He did say however that I would need a digital camera. I said I had no problem buying one.(my old one died and I work for several companies and none of them ever require any photos, so I never bothered to buy a new one) Before I invest in one though, I am going to see what he offers for pay. He was supposed to email me some paperwork but I haven't gotten a thing. I will not work for less than $10.00 for anyone. With my experience, it's an insult to work for less. With what you have to spend on gas and wear and tear on your car, ink, paper, and all the tape and tools you need to do merchandising, It just would not be cost effective. So this will be interesting.

If I want to make $8.00 an hour, I can go to WalMart and work as a door greeter and basically do nothing. Minimum wage here in California is $8.00 an hour. Teenagers get that at McDonalds. The DM said he was looking for really good and experienced merchandisers. If that is the case, he won't find any for 8 bucks and if he does, they won't stay long and will split as soon as they find a company who pays more. From what I have been reading on the last several pages here, I am not too impressed.

Just an add on several hours later today: I got an email today from BDS wanting to do a credit and background check. I have no issue with a background check, as I have nothing in my background that is any negative whatsoever, and the same with a DMV check and proof of insurance. That is all fine with me. But my credit history, is frankly, none of their business and this is private information. Did anyone else have to undergo a credit check????.
Go to Top of Page

DebsTN
Contributor

TN
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  3:18:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
will be interesting to see what happens and how much they offer you. maybe in CA you get more because of where you are. Here however, $8. the other co's i work for are a lot more.
I didn't know driveline was doing any Fedex work. Interesting to know.
I don't know why they need to do a credit check either. that is not right. none of their business.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

MindyZ
Star Contributor

Hesperia, CA
USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  3:31:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Big Sue, we hear you! being CA natives ourselves it makes life rough working low wage jobs but.. we did a few ourselves but with a little negotiating you can bring end pay up to an acceptable level, as to background and credit checks haveing being bonded before we have no problem with that, as to credit checks some companies attribute that to making sure you are stable and financially responsible, our experience has been that they want to make sure you can support them with your credit card, you know gas for road trips, hotels and such things (LOL) just till next month's reimbursement (at which point by the time you get reimbursed you have used more of your credit, hubby calls it "suppoting their company") the only way we have found to break even is to not work these jobs, you are correct though, it is none of their business, let them front the money...the companies we work for compensate in their own way, full project pay for short projects, extra hours added on... they have their own ways of compensating for the reliable and hard working people, we have two right now that we have excellent relationships with, so we do well with and for them, they get their stuff done and reported with no problems, so when a problem happens they know who to call.

When these people know they can count on you or your team, they'll call you first.

MindyZ

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  5:37:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MindyZ

Hi Big Sue, we hear you! being CA natives ourselves it makes life rough working low wage jobs but.. we did a few ourselves but with a little negotiating you can bring end pay up to an acceptable level, as to background and credit checks haveing being bonded before we have no problem with that, as to credit checks some companies attribute that to making sure you are stable and financially responsible, our experience has been that they want to make sure you can support them with your credit card, you know gas for road trips, hotels and such things (LOL) just till next month's reimbursement (at which point by the time you get reimbursed you have used more of your credit, hubby calls it "suppoting their company") the only way we have found to break even is to not work these jobs, you are correct though, it is none of their business, let them front the money...the companies we work for compensate in their own way, full project pay for short projects, extra hours added on... they have their own ways of compensating for the reliable and hard working people, we have two right now that we have excellent relationships with, so we do well with and for them, they get their stuff done and reported with no problems, so when a problem happens they know who to call.

When these people know they can count on you or your team, they'll call you first.

MindyZ

First off, this company is not hiring me for any position that I will need to be bonded for, nor is this a requirement. I also will not be traveling for them or paying for any hotels with a credit cards etc. I quite doing that type of work years go, and when I did do it, I had a company car, company gas card and company credit card,etc. It is a simple merchandising job/work. They do not need my credit history info, nor am I going to give them permission to access this. I don't see them offering to give me theirs. That is my personal info and none of their busniess. So we shall see what happens here.
Go to Top of Page

Sharron
Contributor

Richardson, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  5:41:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ladies,
I have been with Driveline for 5 years, yes they did a background check, but no where on my credit report does it show a inquiry for them... I have never heard of
Driveline doing credit checks before... I will call a contact of mine in the home office and find out tomorrow and let all of you know...

These resets in FD are a killer.

Sharron
Go to Top of Page

DebsTN
Contributor

TN
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  5:44:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't have any FD's thank goodness :)

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  5:45:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sharron

Ladies,
I have been with Driveline for 5 years, yes they did a background check, but no where on my credit report does it show a inquiry for them... I have never heard of
Driveline doing credit checks before... I will call a contact of mine in the home office and find out tomorrow and let all of you know...

These resets in FD are a killer.

The form they asked me to fill out was all about credit checking along wth a background check and even provided the info about fair credit reporting and other credit info. In fact the form was 90% all about "credit". If they just want to check your DMV report and do a background check, then they should have a form that only states this and never mentions a credit history check. How difficult would that be to accomplish? Other companies seem to have managed to do this. That just really put me off. I am supposed to trust that they won't be checking my credit history when they want me to sign a release that would allow them to do that very thing?
Go to Top of Page

PheePhee
Valued Contributor

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  7:20:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else received the wrong schematic/planogram in their Family Dollar stores for the reset? It would be great if we could have been mailed the plan to study before we go into the stores, it would make it easier.

Phee
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sharron
Contributor

Richardson, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  8:13:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Big Sue,
It might be since the other side took over that they may be doing things different. I will know tomorrow.

Yes, one of my teams stores rec'd the wrong everything for their store so we did a attempt, and will have to go back in after the new stuff is sent...

Sharron
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  06:56:56 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sharron

Big Sue,
It might be since the other side took over that they may be doing things different. I will know tomorrow.

Yes, one of my teams stores rec'd the wrong everything for their store so we did a attempt, and will have to go back in after the new stuff is sent...

Did they make you take a drug test too? For a part-time merchandising job? That's a new one on me. Got an email about that this morning. What's next? Finger prints? Geez, I am over the hill.....wait til I give the lab the list of my perscription meds. lmao
Go to Top of Page

Sharron
Contributor

Richardson, TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  4:58:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of that.. I am like you, my list is very long...

Sharron
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums