Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  07:38:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandra, I do believe that the manager was too lazy to be bothered with accepting your check. Until the last year, my husband was a regional manager with this chain; at the time he left, corporate policy was that all stores accepted checks, and I believe that policy is still in place. If you feel moved to, you could contact Rite Aid and let them know of your experience.
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  6:40:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today I mailed out my letter to Walmart. I am hoping to get
satisfaction!!! Now I will patiently sit back and wait for
a response.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  5:27:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The 3 days that I was supposed to wait before writing another check at Walmart passed a few days ago. The woman in the check writing area of Walmart had said that my checks were approved. About 3 hours ago I attempted to write a check at Walmart. Guess What? My check was once again declined. The cashier looked me right in the eye and said " You've written a bad check and won't be allowed to write another check at Walmart for 2 years. " Nobody was standing in line behind me,so there was nobody to feel lower than a snake's belly in front of. I told her that I wanted to speak to a member of management immediately. Her face became as white as freshly fallen snow. I just happened to see one of the store's assistant manager's and I flagged her down. I told her about the problems that I had with writing a check last Saturday morning at Walmart. I then told her about the comment that the cashier had made to me this evening when my check had been declined. The assistant manager apologized profusely and told the cashier to meet her at the office in the back of the store. I may have caused the cashier to lose her job,and I am very sorry if she does. I felt like she was very disrespectful to me.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  5:52:23 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did they accept your check for the purchase?

Jan
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  6:12:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The assistant manager said that Walmart would not be able to accept my check this evening. However,I asked her to please let me use my check card from the same account to pay for my purchase. It worked
like a charm. The assistant manager admitted that Walmart has some bugs in their system that need to be worked out. Imagine someone from Walmart admitting that Walmart isn't perfect!!!

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  05:40:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The cashier was wrong in the way she approached this situation and personally, I wouldn't feel too bad for too long. She was probably, and much deservedly, coached on the correct way to handle that type of situation and to recognize that it is inappropriate to categorize and then publicly announce, as if you are a criminal, that a check is "bad" because it was declined. I am guessing that the type of situation you have encountered is a frustratingly typical occurrence at WalMart and that the assistant manager there is sensitive to that, at least, and has the sense to aim to minimize the customer's discomfort in that type of situation.

Since it's of almost no use to go through the 800# for customer care, you could wait for a reply to your letter to corporate and use that opportunity to reply that you have had yet another embarrassing---but not your fault!---situation that arose based on your interaction with WalMart's check-verification vendor, Telecheck. If WalMart is going to accept paper checks, then it is incumbent on them to see that the verification process is customer-friendly and not fraught with potentially humiliating experiences for the customer.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50247 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  06:20:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So when you are going to attempt to write another check in there? My point is Telecheck appears to be turning your checks down for some reason. Walmart will in all likelihood pass the buck to them. If I was going to contact anyone it would be Telecheck. I had a bad experience with them once and it was straightened out after I called them.

Many companies use Telecheck and I have seen many people in front of me in lines told that the check cannot be cashed. The usual proceedure is they give you a little card or piece of paper with Telechecks phone number on it. Most of the times I have seen this happen, a manager will take the person aside and talk to them privately. What the cashier did in this situation was completely uncalled for.
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  4:53:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had already contacted Telecheck before. I got no satisfaction from them. A lady just today told me that you can order discount checks through Walmart. I'd like to see Walmart try to blame the bank when they did the check printing themselves. It would be them who would be held responsible for the magnetic strip with the numbers in it.

On my way back from my demo today I wrote a check at CVS Pharmacy. This was one of the locations that Telecheck had told me that my checks would be restricted for those infamous 3 days. My check went through with no problem. CVS apparently uses Telechecks services. Quite frankly I am tired of wasting my checks at Walmart. 2 wasted checks in a week is not good. I do order my checks from discount check printing companies,but the cost could soon run up if I continued to write checks that Walmart will not accept.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

LoraM
Valued Contributor

Eau Claire, Michigan
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  5:59:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JanJojo,

I wish I'd read through this thread earlier, as I do have some experience getting results through writing letters. (Alltel refunded $ and Northwest gave money and coupons for discounts on future flights). So here goes.

If you didn't do so yet, make sure you send a copy of your letter to the president of Wal-Mart, the P.R or Marketing Vice-President of Wal-Mart, and the manager of the local Wal-Mart. Make sure to CC the names and positions on each letter.

Tell them what you want from them and that you'll report them to the BBB if they don't respond satisfactorily. Each letter I've written like this has gotten me results within two weeks. Granted, I don't write letters like this all that often, but when I do, I get results. I also teach my students to write effective letters of complaint. They've gotten results from their letters too.

Writing letters will get your further than phone calls, especially with the level of detail that you have documented. Remember, the rule of thumb is that, for every 1 complaint from customer a business gets, there are at least 9 others that have the same complaint but haven't given the company the opportunity to resolve the complaint.

Oh, and since every person has a chain of influence (the last stat I remember reading was 1 person can influence at least 16 people), it's important for the company to resolve your complaint and keep your business and the business of those in your chain of influence. Don't be afraid to let Wal-Mart know that you know a looot of people and will tell them what Wal-Mart hasn't done to resolve the problem.

Oh dear, a long post. Sorry--this issue is one of my soapboxes. But anyway, those are my words of advice and encouragement. Enjoy the letter-writing campaign.

Loralee ~Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  6:10:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I mailed out the letter Wednesday. I am wondering if I should have sent the letter certified mail. Of course that would not mean that they had to respond to the letter. At least I would have known that it actually made it to the right person.

In some ways I am not feeling real positive about getting a response from the actual CEO. A former Walmart employee told me that he had at one time sent a letter to the top of the Walmart hierarchy. He did get an answer back,but a signature stamp was used rather than an actual signature. Anybody could have slapped the CEO's signature on the letter. Anyone could have written the response.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  05:57:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jan, Don't waste your money on certified mail. I'd only do this if I knew that I would receive something worthwhile in return.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  05:57:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
JanJojo, if that proves to be the case---getting a standard blah-blah-blah response, if any---from WalMart, there are still a number of options you could pursue. If you chose, you could send another updated letter via certified mail. You and Jan are correct in noting that a certified letter only indicates receipt but does not guarantee a response, but on the other hand, WalMart may wisely infer that your letter merits some investigation and a useful response since you have gone to the trouble and expense of contacting them---an indicator that you intend to pursue this to resolution and which may mean some negative publicity for them.

You might also contact your county's Bureau of Consumer Protection to see if they could help you. Another option is to contact area newspaper and television consumer affairs reporters. WalMart may be a mega-corporation, but their sales are suffering recently and they are, by necessity, more sensitive to the effects of negative publicity and word-of-mouth.
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  07:43:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jan,
As Nora suggested, have you thought about a local TV station? They are always doing the "fight for the little guy" exposes and what is a better David vs. Goliath scenario than you vs. Wal-Mart? Especially since it has happened more than once and you have tried to get a response. This wouldn't cost you anything and could actually help many people, as well as focus a lot of attention on the topic.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Kelly130
Star Contributor

Tennessee
USA
1929 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  12:17:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was just catching up on this thread and thought a second before I read it that maybe contacting your news station would be appropriate. I know 5 On Your Side does wonder here

Kelly
Exchanges Rock! Let's Do Another
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  4:20:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do many demos in Walmart Stores. I am concerned about causing too much static,because I am afraid that I will be banned from doing demos in Walmart. I think that for now I will just wait and see if the original letter gets me any positive results. The money that I make doing demos at Walmart is a good portion of my income. I may sound like a chicken,but I feel like I have probably done all that I should for now. I live alone and therefore am responsible for all of the bills.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  5:33:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No, that is an excellent point. You won't see me on the front page, criticizing my school system.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  6:57:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can just imagine what the headlines would read if I took this matter up with the media!!! "DEMO LADY BITES THE HAND THAT FEEDS HER." This should not affect one's job when they are trying to get justice to be served. Of course to believe that this would not affect one's employment is looking at the world through rose colored glasses. I've been bit enough times by reality to know that you've got to watch your step!!!

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  7:36:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What about shopping at stores which appreciate your business?

I haven't bought anything in WalMart for around 2 1/2 yrs. I am living comfortably and cheaply - without being abused at the check out counter or waiting in endless lines. Around here Fred's, CVS, Walgreens, Dollar General, Big Lots, Maxway, local groceries, local hardwares, and other businesses know how to treat customers. So I pay an extra .03 cents for 24-pk toilet paper. They all take my check and none insult me.

Count yourself lucky if WalMart never responds.

MSPA Gold Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  8:34:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi you're lucky to have a choice in stores. I don't know exactly where this lady lives but if she's like me, there's not that many choices. I can go 10 miles one way to Wal Mart, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Lowe's & Rite Aid. Or I can go about the same distance in the other direction to Food Lion, another Dollar General & a Family Dollar & that's it The next choice is a 45 mile drive (one way) to a larger town with more stores. Try getting your ice cream home without melting in 95 degree weather when it takes almost an hour to do it. My Wal Mart does that electronic check thing & so far I've never had a problem, but mostly I use my debit card. It's just easier & quicker but then my bank doesn't charge a fee to use it either. If it had been me I probably would not have gone to all the trouble she has & just wrote it off an a glitch the first time but to have it happen again is ridiculous.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

JanJojo
Star Contributor

West Virginia
USA
42759 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  8:57:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I live in a very rural area. The nearest indoor shopping mall to me is 80 miles away. Gayle, I can get to most of the stores that you mentioned within a 20 mile radius from where I live. Lowe's is approximately 42 miles away. I would love to have the choices in stores that people living in larger cities have. I also realize how lucky I am to have a breathtaking view of the mountains from my back deck. Walmart is just about the only store within the aforementioned 80 miles that offers regular demo work. Maybe once or twice a month Kroger stores have demos. K Marts' in my area seem to be completely out of the demo circuit.

Shopping at Walmart is a convenience. When I do demos in Walmart I must purchase my demo product at Walmart. That is one thing that can't be avoided. With gas prices being what they are it is sensible for me to do as much of my personal shopping in there as possible. I'm already in there working,so why drive way across town to do my shopping? That would be biting off my nose to spite my face. Whether or not I receive a response to my letter is irrelevant as to whether I will continue doing demos there and whether or not I keep shopping at Walmart. I know that my check card will work there. If I had no other option than to write checks then there would be a significant problem.

Janette Johnson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums