Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Paula H.
Valued Contributor

Pasadena, CA
USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  4:48:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just received an e-mail inviting me to join their shopper database. It read, "You are receiving this email because you have signed up to be notified of Mystery Shopping and/or Merchandising opportunities in your area." It was signed Lysa Sampson - Owner. Does anyone have information? website is XXXXXXXXXXXXX

ADMIN NOTE:
Link removed as it has many links to a forum run by Lysa which has spammed here and we do not tolerate spammers.

Gold Certified shopper

Karen Griffin
Apprentice

Lockport, IL
USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  5:33:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received a email from the same company. Mine said that they were scheduling for another company and listed the available jobs. Part way through it said, "**Please join my shopper database to be informed of all Mystery Shopping Assignments in your area!" The website does not list an address or phone number. I did email the company that she said they were scheduling for, after I found no information here or at the MSPA site, I have not heard back from them yet.

I heard back from the company that Lysa's email said she was scheduling for. They said that it is legit, she is scheduling for them and she has access to their database.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Peter T. Sanderson
Valued Contributor

Pawley's Island, SC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  7:25:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paula H.

I just received an e-mail inviting me to join their shopper database. It read, "You are receiving this email because you have signed up to be notified of Mystery Shopping and/or Merchandising opportunities in your area."
Ask her where she got your info from. She probably "borrowed" your info from one of the companies that she used to work for as a scheduler. That is unethical.

Never sign up to work for spammers. We all have enough trouble getting paid by some legitimate companies, signing up to work for or even giving your personal info to someone who has no ethics and sends you spam is a very bad idea.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  12:16:47 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with Peter. This is someone to avoid!

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

ChrisT
Star Contributor

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  1:17:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
ADMIN NOTE:
Link removed as it has many links to a forum run by Lysa which has spammed here and we do not tollerate spammers.
I don't tolerate them either

ChrisT
Deliriously Happy Shopping Uncertifiable
Go to Top of Page

MaryAlene
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, Michigan
USA
185 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  5:34:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been contacted by Lysa in the past when she was scheduling assignments in my area. I haven't worked directly with her but her emails were always polite and professional. I have never received anything I would consider spam from her although I have had that experience with other independent schedulers.

Maryalene
Gold certified and shopping the Grand Rapids and Lansing, Michigan areas.
Go to Top of Page

CDQuiring
Star Contributor

Mountain Lake, Minnesota
USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  10:07:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am signed up with her Company and she is not a Spammer. This is a legitimate Company.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Mazie
Star Contributor

Forest Grove, OR
USA
468 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  10:48:00 PM  Visit Mazie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
What kind of shops do they do? How do they pay, and do they pay on time? Thanks.

Gold Certified shopper, editor, editor trainer.
Shopping the Portland Metro area, willing to travel.
Go to Top of Page

.Stu
Inactive

Williamsburg, VA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  01:21:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been in communication with Lysa for a quite a few years. I trust her completely. She is a very motivated and hard working business women.She does her best in a professional manner to make all information about mystery shopping available to all shoppers on her own web site forum. By letting shoppers know that there is another forum that shoppers can use also for chat and information is not spamming it's called sharing information and gives the shopper a sense of community and also a choice of which information is valuable to the shopper. By giving shoppers more access to information makes the shopper more able to make better decisions and helps the mystery shopper feel more as part of a WHOLE community. Frankly, bickering among adults leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and makes me wonder the motivation behind some actions.
Lysa, I am sure, was not spamming.She is just a hard working American women making a living just like the rest of us working at the American Dream. Cut her some slack and move on to more important issues ( like world peace).

Stuwart
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  06:39:06 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is not just about this one person. She is one small fish in a very large sea. If you read the thread, shoppers do not suggest working for anyone that gets your information from elsewhere and you not know about it.

The link being removed is a good idea too. What if it linked to someone who did not have your best interest at heart and you downloaded some virus. I am glad the owner and moderators check these things out.

The larger companies ask you if you want your information shared with others and you make the decision. It is always good advice to protect your identity and make sure the emails you get are coming from reliable, safe sources.

As for this particular scheduler, when one sees a scheduler go from company to company to company and then branch out on their own, it should make one hesitant. Questioning the reasons,the motives and the ethics is a wise choice. We have all seen people leave companies and take the clients and shopper databases with them. Remember Checkmark???

So, I don't think it is fair to come here and jump on shoppers who are trying to be proactive with their safety and yours. There is no bickering being done, just opinions being offered by seasoned shoppers. If others don't want to follow the advice, so be it.

The Volition rules clearly state not to repeatedly post links to the other forums and no self promoting, so why should it be any different for one?

Stu, we all know about the other forums out there. Being part of one or not being part of one that has 10 or so regular posters is not going to help or hurt a shopper. Those same posters come to Volition to post,read and sometimes steal from, as everyone knows this is the one place everyone visits!

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

MaryAlene
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, Michigan
USA
185 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  08:50:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can understand needing to protect our information, but in my experience, it is not unusual for schedulers and companies to share shopper information. The recent emails many of us received from Undercover Consultants is an example. From Karen's post, it appears that Lysa had permission to send the email.

I can also certainly appreciate that Volition doesn't want competing forums advertising here, but it seems unfortunate that the link to a scheduler database is being censored because the database page has a link to another forum. Using that logic, we should also eliminate links to Checkmark, Service Intelligence and the other companies that also run forums on their site.

Maryalene
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  09:11:31 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
MaryAlene, Checkmark does not have a forum any longer. Service Intelligence has a forum for its' shoppers only and is a member of the MSPA.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  10:04:42 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
OK, I hate to even have to post to this topic, but you are forcing me to.

You have all gotten into topics other than the one at hand which is feedback on this company. So, lets end all the side topics or put elsewhere.
quote:
Originally posted by MaryAlene

I can also certainly appreciate that Volition doesn't want competing forums advertising here, but it seems unfortunate that the link to a scheduler database is being censored because the database page has a link to another forum.
No, we do not say that you cannot post a link to another forum. I never said that.

What we do say is: You cannot SPAM.

Lysa and her friends repeatedly posted ads for their forum. She put the link in every topic she could think of as well as all her job postings. Even after she was asked to stop doing this, she continued to do so, until her account had to be locked.

Spam is not tollerated. Spammers are not allowed here.

When she was forced to stop doing that, she did even more unethical things which I will not go into, but I'm sure my posting here will give her new reason to make up and post lies about me personally on her forum or have her recruit others to do it for her.

Schedulers who steal info from past employers are not to be trusted. No one is saying she did that. It was a warning. Never sign up with any company you never heard of without checking them out first. That discussion does not belong in this thread. See other topics, like:
Ethics of a Scheduler using their Database to Advertise other "Offers"

The general advice is to avoid spammers, and avoid companies who have done unethical things, and do not sign up with someone who emails you our of the blue.

If she or any company got the info from a legit source, the email should have stated where it was from. And I don't mean "should have" as in it would be nice, I mean it is the law as per the USA Can-SPAM Act.

Now, please post actual feedback on this company. Any posts not related to that will be deleted.
Go to Top of Page

MaryAlene
Valued Contributor

Grand Rapids, Michigan
USA
185 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  11:08:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just want to clarify that I was responding to Pam's post where she said "The Volition rules clearly state not to repeatedly post links to the other forums and no self promoting, so why should it be any different for one?" If I have misunderstood the rule, I apologize.

As for feedback, I haven't completed a job for this scheduling company but I did sign up for the database. The company is using Mystery Shopping Solutions, and the application was simple and straightforward.

Maryalene
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  12:43:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lysa has been a reputable and forthright scheduler. I'm signed up with this database and have confidence in this company, and am happy to say that I've not encountered anything unsavory or unethical associated with this company or its owner.
Go to Top of Page

Mary Elizabeth
Valued Contributor

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  1:54:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always felt tht Lysa had an agenda and it made me uncomfortable. I first met her on the Checkmark forum. At first she seemed friendly and she was sweet and friendly to the moderator. Eventually, though, she turned on them. When she started her own forum, it turned nasty with inappropriate posts with links to the new forum.

Once the new forum started going, it seemed somewhat obvious that she had a problem with this forum and with the MSPA. I found it totally unprofessional.

Mary Elizabeth
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

MichelleCPD
Valued Contributor

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  2:22:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with you 100%, Mary Elizabeth. I have been shopping and reading the boards for almost ten years and will tell you that I will more than likely rethink my decision to work for any company that Lysa is associated with, even if it means canceling my account with them. When she started hawking her forum at Checkmark just over three years ago and got her feelings hurt, she lashed out inappropriately, which made me embarrassed for her. I was a little surprised that she was scheduling for Jancyn and quickly cleared my information and deactivated my account, as to not share my personal information with her or her database. Her unprofessional practices started with Checkmark and more recently in the past year or so, her self proclaimed wonderful association with the now defunct company A Cut Above. Lysa was scheduling for the owner of A Cut Above at the very start of the company, praising the owner and their joint services. Meanwhile, my personal information was being skimmed without my consent from another scheduling company that the owner previously scheduled for, prior to starting A Cut Above. This practice was confirmed because I had NEVER used the email address they solicited me at with any other company besides the original one. Even if Lysa does come into her own in five or 10 years, well then it will be my bad, but for now...no thanks. I will wait until she isn't flailing around from company to company trying to find herself.
Go to Top of Page

Andrea_Calif
Valued Contributor

CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  1:50:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Sola

If she or any company got the info from a legit source, the email should have stated where it was from. And I don't mean "should have" as in it would be nice, I mean it is the law as per the USA Can-SPAM Act.
After reading some of the posts here, I was more than a little curious to know how she got my information. My inquiry got the following response.
quote:
Hello Andrea,
I have been scheduling for quite some time now and have obtained my own database over time. I began Private Eyes last year and with our new job board being released, I am simply alerting every shopper whose emails I have collected over the years.
I would appreciate your registering, however, if you choose not to, you should not be contacted again. :)

When I politely pointed out that this didn't answer my question, I got the following:

quote:
Andrea, As I have said, I have been doing this for quite some time. After years of scheduling, schedulers obtain shopper email addresses by the hundreds. There is absolutely no way for me to be able to tell you how exactly I obtained your email, unless of course you were able to tell me what companies that you have worked for over the last 5 years or so. That is the only way that I could find out if I have ever scheduled a job for you, as I have represented many clients. In the schedulers forum that I belong to alone, we ask and provide to one another, hundreds of shopper emails in areas that each other needs.
My email was sent out to thousands of shoppers from my databases. I must ask, since you are the only one that has replied with this question, what is the issue here? Because, as I have said, since the purpose of this email was to offer access to our online database and that you could decline the offer and probably never hear back from us again, why are you so concerned?
I could have scheduled you for an assignment on behalf of 30 or so different mystery shopping companies.
Your email could have been provided to me by another MSP or scheduler.
Your email could have been provided to me by another scheduling company that I one worked for.
You could have contacted me directly.
You could belong to my shoppers forum, <address removed>
You could have joined my mailing list.
You could belong to one of my Yahoo shopper groups.

There is no more specific information that I could possibly provide.
If she has bounced from MSP to MSP as previous posts indicate, wouldn't this imply that she, is in fact, keeping info from past employers? That idea makes more more than a little uncomfy. I hadn't even heard of this woman prior to receiving her email and subsequently checking Volition for feedback. I'm the first to admit that I could be a little paranoid here. If anyone can shed further light on the matter, I would be ever so grateful. Can I really be the only person that has asked her about her sources?

Andrea
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Since 2004
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  6:16:19 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got an email from her too, I quickly marked it as SPAM and sent it to the abuse center. She is currently scheduling for Nsite, who in my opinion, doesn't care what shoppers are saying, or maybe they haven't read here.

EITHER WAY.....
I don't want any company giving this person my email address. I will not work for any company that works with this scheduler.

There are many good schedulers out there that don't use our information from companies to promote and add to their own databases.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  12:59:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I personally don't care how or where a scheduler gets my email address. Especially if I end up with a job because of it. But I agree with you about Nsite, Pam. While I do work for them, I prefer to not get 500 emails a day from them, as I use to. Now I have the computer delete them and I check the web site a couple times a week.
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2008 :  2:06:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just a reminder for those not familiar with or confused by scheduling companies...they are ALL third-party entities whose owners have virtually all gained their experience through association with one or more mystery-shopping providers or previous scheduling companies. If in doubt, contact any independent scheduler to reassure yourself that this is the case. In short, it is naive and incorrect to believe that any scheduler has started from the ground up with no access to any kind of database. The methods of accruing a database, per Andrea's email from Lysa, have been accurately explained and are not in any way unethical for any business.

I'd be wary of using the now defunct Checkmark forum as a frame of reference for professionalism and integrity; during the infamous no-pay incident of a fews back, many can recall that the forum was used by some as a means of carrying out personal vendettas, for lack of a better word, to the detriment of those looking for resolution. There was a great deal of misinformation, to use polite and understated terminology. If the old CM thread exists on this forum, it does an adequate job of conveying the sharp degree of malice that had little to do with the immediate issues of non-payment.

It's also critical to note that Lysa had no connection to or any knowledge of the owner of A Cut Above's subsequent legal issues,nor was she even remotely culpable for the owner's independent actions and it is neither professional nor fair to imply otherwise.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums