Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AngelaV
Trainee

NC
USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  05:27:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am confused regarding what forms you are supposed to fill out for companies since they all require different ones. I thought you were only supposed to send in an I-9 if you were getting hired on as an employee. Is this correct?

Can somebody tell me what forms a company should be asking for if you're hired on as an IC? What about an employee?

Thanks for your help!

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  06:56:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Angela, I believe a company only sends you the required paperwork that is needed to be filled out. If it doesnt pertain to the job youre applying for, you shouldnt be getting it. Isnt the I-9 the citizen verification paper where a SS card or drivers license is used as proof of your being a US citizen legally allowed to work in this country? If so, then that is a required paper everyone of us has to fill out, no if's and or but's about it. As an IC, the paperwork is minimal, as they dont use the tax forms,or anything to do with money taken from your pay. This all falls on the applicant to put aside for payment at the end of the year. But then too, at that time, an IC will have deductions( mileage,supplies,etc) that can add up to an amount that makes the IC position low income with little to no taxes due.
Go to Top of Page

MargeI
Star Contributor

Middletown, MD
USA
900 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  07:32:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I-9 is the employment eligibility and verification form. Independent contractors are not required to complete them, but all employees are. Drivers License does not prove citizenship - a number of items are acceptable, and they include birth certificate and passport.

If you are an employee of a company they would generally want you to fill out a form W4 for tax withholding. They may require other forms, which can vary from company to company, such as acknowledging company policies on non-discrimination and sexual harassment. They may want you to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement as well. Some may ask for a non-compete agreement. These items can also be requested of IC's - ultimately, we must each decide what is acceptable to us.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2780 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  08:12:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As an employee, you must fill out the I-9 which is to verify that you are legally able to work in the United States. You will need EITHER your passport (column A) or one document from column B AND column C. The most used documents from B & C are: Social Security card and State Issued Driver's License.

As a self-employed person, IC, you should be filling out a W-9, which verifies your social security number or tax id (for a business).

Marla
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  5:35:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Im a little late responding to this, but, a drivers license is amongst the accepted verifications for proof. In all the job applications that include the I-9 form, Ive always used nothing but my SS card and drivers license. Just recently though, I had to take my documents to a Notary Public to have verified and notarized, plus, they had to make an additional copy of each of my items to send with the copies I made, to my future employer.
Go to Top of Page

PennyT
Contributor

CA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  08:16:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was recently asked to fill out an I-9 form for a client of the MSC. I filled out the form and submitted it to the MS three times. The site still says paperwork pending. I just sent it for the fourth time today. I am wondering If I am doing something wrong. I filled out the top half and then scanned and sent a copy of my US passport. Any advice? I

Thanks,

Penny in NorCal

Penny in NorCal
Go to Top of Page

TimPrice
Contributor

Rochester, New York
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  08:44:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Penny, I was wondering how you made out with the I9 form. I think many companies use a third party to process the I9 form. Sometimes the communication is poor.

Tim
Retail Merchandiser
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums