Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2008 :  9:16:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone shopped one of the cheap, generic grocery stores where you put a quarter in the cart? The MSC currently shopping them is known for their short-to-no-comment forms, but on the qualifying quiz, they state:

"In the comments sections, provide detailed comments for each yes/no question explaining what happened/what was said."

I want to know how many questions require a comment. This MSC does not usually have so many comments. The shop fee and reimbursement are small.

Dee
MSPA Gold

Donna in PA

PA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  07:57:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The fee and reimbursement are crazy small, It's hard to do a thorough evaluation for almost nothing. I think you will make more money using coupons.

Donna in PA
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3118 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  09:13:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Can't use coupons that store or a credit/debit card, lol.

I found it not worth my time when they first came out. Since there is no store in our town and I have limited my msing to the near vacinity (thanks gas prices), I haven't kept up to date on those.

It's cheap to go shopping there and I went there a lot back home in Germany and even back when we still lived in Illinois. I was happy to see them opening up stores in KY, but they never quite made it to this town. I would go there regularly, if there would be one in town. Since I would already be there it probably wouldn't matter to pick up a shop to lighten the $$ load

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

MariaPec
Valued Contributor

PA
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  09:28:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
One of those stores opened recently near me and I did the evaluation since I wanted to check it out for myself anyway. It was a negative report - lots of truly rotten produce - so I won't be going back anytime soon. The shops still show up and do get picked up, so they're worth it to someone.

Maria
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  11:06:55 AM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
They're worth it to me! Not only are the prices great there, but most of the time, the food is good, too. If the produce is off, which does happen sometimes, I don't buy produce there that day. Between the already good prices and the shop fee and reimbursement, it really helps a lot around here. The form is hardly any different than it was before. The comments are minimal.

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
930 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  11:18:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I picked that one up when I first saw it. I loved it. Was the first time I had been in the store and the reimbursement actually covered quite a bit for me. I was able to get 2..12 pks of drinks for the kids, some snack stuff and a few other things and it was like only a dollar more than the reimbursement amount. As the one here is tiny, you can can see the entire store on the first aisle, as the shelves are not that high, this is actually an easy store for me to do. Now I wouldn't do it for the price alone, but I usually can pick up a few others right in same shopping center so it makes it worthwhile to me.

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JanB27
Star Contributor

OH
USA
4831 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  3:41:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have done two different locations and didn't feel it was worth the amount they paid. You are required to spend at least the total amount they reimburse, which makes the fee very minimal. Other companies give you a much better deal. It is true that the store is small but you have a required amount of time to be there. Additionally, the stores were not very clean nor the produce good. I guess I might do it if I shopped there anyway, but I agree that you would probably do better with weekly specials or coupons at another grocery.

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn B
Valued Contributor

Buffalo, New York
USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  4:13:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't done these since before the merger. Do you still have to check the cooler temperatures also? The old company was very picky with these reports and I didn't feel the fee was worth it back then. Any improvement?
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethG
Valued Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
166 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  8:02:57 PM  Send ElizabethG an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I feel lucky enough to have them near me. I wouldn't depend on them for all of my shopping, but they sure do help out!

Gold Certified yysqi1
Shopping Chicago and surrounding areas
Go to Top of Page

Rita Collins
Star Contributor

Michiana, MI
USA
518 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  9:14:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm lucky then! For the locations I shop I never see spoiled or molded fruit/veggies. I have seen a disgusting restroom though. You can get a lot with the reimbursement since everything is so cheap. I shop the one less than 5 miles from my house all the time, always on the way somewhere.

Rita Collins
Shopping Michiana
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2008 :  9:36:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Inquiry mind wanted to know, so I googled it. Interesting store, but they are not in the south; mostly in the New England states.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  10:08:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
TinaMarie,

Not sure which store you googled, but as Nora mentioned, it is the Aldi locations being mentioned here. I live in the South, in South Carolina, and there are 4 of them in my county alone.

I used to do the mystery shop when another company had them and the fee was a dollar higher. I won't do them for the fee currently offered. However, I DO shop there every Saturday for about 30% of my weekly groceries! The location I shop has great produce!! (picked up some Vidalia onions yesterday!!). But I find that for the fee, the report is too time consuming.

And yes, I use my debit card each visit....cash or debit card...those are the only 2 choices.

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

Vonni
Valued Contributor

NC
USA
193 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  3:40:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We also have them in NC. I did the shop, too. I'm still not sure if it is worth it for the fee. I had a couple of other shops in the shopping center adjacent to it, so it was a pretty good payday.

The associate who helped me on the floor was awesome, so that made it nice. The jury is still out for me on this one. I do know that I wouldn't drive the 4 or 5 mile distance for that shop alone. I have adopted a double digit fee minimum except for a few easy shops that I could do in my sleep.

Yvonne
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn B
Valued Contributor

Buffalo, New York
USA
188 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2008 :  9:44:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, it sounds the same which I felt was not worth the fee. We have a competitor store here, Sav-A-Lot, which I normally shop at. Great produce, full meat dept, and lots of brand name items. I suppose if I regularly shopped at this store it might be okay, but not to go out of my way. My family does love their frozen coconut shrimp, though!
Go to Top of Page

Heather86
Star Contributor

Bourbonnais (S. of Chicago), IL
USA
2015 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  10:53:02 AM  Visit Heather86's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did these stores about a year or two agao, until the MSP required me to change and update my profile, take tests or something that made it not even worth it to update.

They were decent enough to do.

As for the stores themselves, the quality has gotten better over the years. The employees used to have to memorize all the prices and ring every item up manually. Now they have barcode scanners like everything else. I do feel that the produce and meat spoil quickly, but if you plan on using it that day, it is cheaper than most grocery stories. The one thing I don't understand is their comercials. Quit spending money on that and keep the prices low.

In my area we have for grocery choices: Kroger, Jewel, Aldi, Super Kmart, Super Walmart, Ultra Foods, Berkots and Mario's (both are Centrella branded mom and pop places)....so they run pretty competitive in that 10 mile area. So for the person looking for the name of the store, it's one of those listed above.
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer P
Star Contributor

NY
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  12:34:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
You probably already know this, but a large MSC does shop Sav-A-Lot, at least here in the Albany area.

Just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware! Happy Shopping!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1072 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  05:58:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love these shops and do as many as I can. I buy flowers, t. paper, paper towels, foil, light bulbs, produce and many other items. The fee comes in very handy and $9 goes a long way in this store.
Go to Top of Page

Rachel B.
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  06:14:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We have lots of Aldi and Save-a-Lot locations here. I think the Aldi shops could certainly pay more, but I don't mind doing them.

Rachel
Silver Certified pw4vpo
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn B
Valued Contributor

Buffalo, New York
USA
188 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  06:24:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No Jennifer, I was not aware of that but you can bet I'll be looking now! Thank you, that's the kind of help I appreciate in these forums, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer P
Star Contributor

NY
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  07:29:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
They are a large MSC that just recently changed over from their previous shopper portal to a new one. You can now self-assign many shops (whereas before you had to make a request), the Sav-A-Lot shops are all self assign, at least in my area.
This company still pays by check, and always like clockwork.
They also have a lot of great clients that are in mall settings, including a fabulous home furnishings store AND a GREAT cookware shop.

That's about all of the good hints I can think of w/out violating my ICA.
Go to Top of Page

MariaPec
Valued Contributor

PA
USA
178 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:42:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just completed one of these reports and now I remember why I wasn't going to do them again - I should have read my own post! The condition of the store was much better, but it is a VERY detailed report for the reimbursement/fee. Note to self: Never again!

Maria
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums