Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 What are your experiences getting I9 forms notarized?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TimPrice
Contributor

Rochester, New York
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  05:35:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have had at least three occasions in the past few months to get my I9 forms notarized. Although I have gotten all the forms notarized, in each case the notary was baffled about how to do it.

Some felt there was no spot for a notary specifically or that they did not feel they were authorized to be an agent for the employer. Some companies had a form for the notary with instructions that also asked for the notary to notarize in addition to the I9 form!

And 2 of the 3 had never seen an I9 form and needed to read it closely to know exactly what they were notarizing. That could just be because I live in a relatively small market. All three were done in local banks.

So I was just wondering if people were experiencing anything similar?

Tim
Retail Merchandiser

Shel7296
Contributor

Wapakoneta, Ohio
USA
64 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  07:53:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went to my employment agency the woman behind the desk is a notary. She said that every form is different so she just reads it and figures it out. She also faxes it for me.

Shelly
Go to Top of Page

Leisa
Star Contributor

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  08:59:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have had this done before several times. I just take it to my Credit Union and the girls take care of everything, and will even fax w/e I want for free at anytime.

Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  09:13:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL, Tim - it's funny you should ask this. I've been in CA all weekend, and had to do this yesterday. This particular form had a phrase that the Notary had to sign saying, "I certify that the individual described above is eligible to work in the United States."

California Notaries will NOT sign such a statement. This poor guy looked at me, looked at my ID, looked at the form, looked at me again, and said, "I can't certify that you're eligible to work in the US!"

Their reasoning is that - even though I have ID & SS card - I might have renounced my citizenship since they were issued, and in the absence of extensive research and proof to the contrary, they ain't gonna say nuthin'!

So what I had him do was hand-write on a color copy of my ID the following:

"I, so-and-so, am a licensed Notary Public in the State of California, license blah-blah. The individual whose identification appears above has appeared in my presence and shown original identification cards to me. I am satisified that the ID presented and the person described above are one and the same."

This is enough for any company, really. Federal law requires that they certify, to the best of their ability, that someone is not an illegal alien before they hire them. The Notarization protects them from fines if it turns out that someone presents fraudulent ID.

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  4:13:00 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never had a problem. I just bring it to our town offices and one of the notaries there notarizes it for me.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  4:23:47 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I imagine that Vermont doesn't have anywhere near the problem with illegal aliens that the southern border states have. After all, how many people are escaping from Canada in search of a better life?

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2780 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  4:43:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I took my forms to my bank, for a small fee $2., they notarized it. They gave me a strange look, but did it anyway.

When I lived in FL, I worked inside a temp agency and we had a guy come in with SS and DL with the same name. It just so happened that someone had stolen the SS card and changed the name on the card. Our payroll company made a habit of checking things like that. The SS# belonged to a 70 year woman.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  5:51:41 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
LOL plus it helps that I have lived here for 12 years & everyone knows everyone by name :)

Ellen

quote:
Originally posted by SueMontagne

I imagine that Vermont doesn't have anywhere near the problem with illegal aliens that the southern border states have. After all, how many people are escaping from Canada in search of a better life?

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Merchandising, Demonstrating and Shopping in Rutland County, Vermont and Eastern Washington County, New York!
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  6:00:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarlaB

...someone had stolen the SS card and changed the name on the card. ...The SS# belonged to a 70 year woman.

Marla -
What happened to the guy? Around here, it happens so often that no one does anything. They just confiscate the false ID and boot them out the door.

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  8:35:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never been asked to have one of these forms notarized.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

TimPrice
Contributor

Rochester, New York
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  04:20:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
These are great posts! I thought there would be a range of stories out there. I had never thought of getting my forms notarized at a place that might actually know something about the I9 form. In hindsight going to my local bank was the place that has the least experience with these forms!

But I need to add that in every case they did finally notarize the form

Tim
Retail Merchandiser
Go to Top of Page

VickyLynn
Valued Contributor

Oneida, New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  11:13:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My bank has no problem notorizing the forms for me, but with each new for comes a bunch of laughs. They are all so extreemly different it's unreal. Why can't there be a standard form all compainys use to make this easyer. The last form I just had notorized she had to notorize she was the notory, the part of my ss card and license she didn't have to notorize very very weird.....
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  9:59:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They prolly don't talk to each other...

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  2:19:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or do you guys still have problems getting a notary to sign a I9 form. Every time i get hired by a new company of course i need to have one filled out,no problem on my part,but the notary doesn't want the responsibilty of signing for the employer. I just tried again and she said no way. Now i have to try and find another one here is this small town. HMMM

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  2:37:10 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Make sure that they understand that what they are notarizing is that the photocopies you are making of your driver's license and social security card are actual real copies & not fakes.

That's all the notary does on the I9. I was a notary for years and I'm amazed at the # of notaries that don't know that.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page

Kelly F.
Star Contributor

WA
USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  4:22:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yep i tried that too. She didn't like the fact that there was no special place for the "notary stamp". She is new from the other notary i was use to using. They both didn't like the fact that where it says authorized representative is where they had to sign. They both wanted a place that said "notary signature". I'll try again tomorrow maybe at the bank instead.

Kelly,
Silver Certified.
Merchandising The Puget Sound Area and Loving it! Love what you do, do what you love!
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2780 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  4:24:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get 1 I-9 notarized and then make copies for the different companies. I have not had any problems doing it this way. I have a complete file with DL, SS, auto insurance, I-9, W4, 1099 and so on, all filled out. I don't have the originals signed or dated, except the notarized one, then I just copy, sign and date it.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Ellen Christian
Star Contributor

Castleton, VT
USA
647 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  5:22:33 PM  Visit Ellen Christian's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kelly,

What my notary does is just sign the photos with something like:

I hereby attest that these photocopies are true copies of original documents.

Then she signs & notarizes it.

~*~ Ellen ~*~
Silver Certified ndkvcr
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  5:28:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ellen,

I am really glad you posted on this.....I have to get a Notary to sign some papers for me tomorrow, and I have looked at them and could not understand just what they were to do.

I will be going to Kinko, as they have a Notary and since they are FEX I can ship everything out from there.
Go to Top of Page

BarbaraF
Contributor

Fruita, CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  6:57:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The first time I had something notarized I paid $10 for the notarization and had to explain to the lady at the bank how to even fill out the paperwork (I am sure she had to fill one out when hired). So after explaining everything to her, she finally got finished after taking 45 minutes of my time.

The next time I went to my daughter's credit union. She didn't charge me a thing and had no problem getting my stuff done for me. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

I hate to say this....but the stupidity of some people. And they are hired at a bank? Shouldn't only at least semi-intelligent people work at banks considering they are watching/handling our money?

Barbara

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1029 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  05:58:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
On many ocassions, Ive had to have various paperwork notorized. This was no exception. Banks in this area dont charge a dime for it. Generally, the prospective employer sends directions, which so far have been self explanatory. MarlaB, I believe copying these legal instruments is illegal,at least thats what Ive been told by people at the court house.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums