Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jennifer P
Star Contributor

NY
USA
271 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  9:16:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hubby did a tax shop at the beginning of the year. I won't be getting enough back to qualify. :(

They're being done by me by a company that usually does bank shops and has recently merged with a couple of other companies. This particular branch of the company uses a sassie site. There are a TON of them in my area!

Also, like others have mentioned, they are also up on a scheduling company's board.

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer S

Selden, NY
USA
49 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  6:05:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How do you complete this shop if you have earnings to report from mystery shopping?

Do you file your shopping earnings with a seperate accountant?
Thanks!

Jennifer
Secretly shopping in Long Island NY
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  6:10:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You have to be getting a refund of $1000.00 in order to be qualified to do this shop is what I heard.....

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

Jason Petersen
Star Contributor

Dyer, Indiana
USA
413 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  06:51:02 AM  Send Jason Petersen an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've never done these before, I don't qualify because I live in Indiana, but work full time in Illinois... but it seems like it would be a conflict of interest...

Here are my 1099s for all of the secret shopping work I did over the last year..."Are you secret shopping me right now?" "Secret shopping, whats that?!"

MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping NW Indiana, Chicago's SouthEast Suburbs and Downtown Chicago
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  08:44:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Petersen
Here are my 1099s for all of the secret shopping work I did over the last year..."Are you secret shopping me right now?" "Secret shopping, whats that?!"

Yes, your tax advisor will know you are an MSer. However, the tax prep person does not know you are msing them, because you are actually going to be evaluating the bank loan process, not the tax prep process. So in a way, you are not even msing the tax prep person at all.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!
Go to Top of Page

Tina At Home
Contributor

St Clair Shores, MI
USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:09:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thinking about doing one of these today. However, I have seen many postings on the internet that H&R block told them they would have their money in a day or two and it has not happened. I am now wondering is this why they are being shopped? Kind of worried at this point.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  12:18:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got my refund without issues, on the same day. I qualified both for the shop and the refund.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Sue 624

MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  6:26:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
{Thinking about doing one of these today. However, I have seen many postings on the internet that H&R block told them they would have their money in a day or two and it has not happened. I am now wondering is this why they are being shopped? Kind of worried at this point.}

Tina,
Not to worry about whether you get the money in a couple of days. I've done this type of shop for three years and this is the first year I was ever accepted for the loan and got my money the next day. The first two years when I was not accepted for the one to two day loan they automatically made me accept the different loan which came through in about 10-14 days (if I remember right). This year I was told that I would have option to have money sent by IRS direct deposit or by check if the 1-2 day loan was not approved. Either way as it is a tax refund... you will get your money as they can't keep the refund.I don't think they are shopped because people have not gotten the money in 1-2 days as the banks that do the loans sponsor the shops. I think they are more interested in knowing that the tax preparers are representing their loan products correctly. The tax prep fees I had taken right out of the loan so you don't have to carry cash to pay for it. All in all it is a good deal in my book to get the tax prep fees paid and a shop fee on top of that. Funny thing when I did them this year the tax preparer had done some mystery shopping himself and could easily help with the schedule C that had to be done. Waving hi to you at the shores from the burbs.

Susan
MSPA Gold Certified and Shopping since 2004
Go to Top of Page

Steveo

CA
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  04:47:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have completed one of tax refund shops earlier this month and received my refund by direct deposit in two days. No problems, also did one last year and everything went fine.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

CherieN
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
248 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  6:33:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a quick question, what does this question mean: "Have you ever had a tax refund related bank product that did not fully fund?"
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  7:12:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I understand it as: when you applied for a refund loan in the past, has part of the loan been denied. In other words, has the bank not given you the instant refund loan for the entire amount of the refund you were entitled to.
I think.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

CherieN
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
248 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  7:23:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My first thought was fully fund what? I was sure they were missing part of the question.
Go to Top of Page

Jeni291
Trainee

Cumming, Georgia
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  07:07:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did one of these tax return shops last year and what a mess! The problem is if you are self employed, which we all are and your tax professional doesn't ask the right questions or misses some deductions your return will be wrong. The tax person I used was LESS than bright and I ultimately decided to do my own taxes after spending over an hour with him. Lost the fee for the job but ended up getting more $ back and ensuring my return was done properly.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

CherieN
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
248 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  2:01:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It also seemed that you basically entered your whole return to make sure you were getting enough back. I assume this would be federal and state combined. But I started to think the same way, that I might as well do them on my own as usual.
Go to Top of Page

CherieN
Valued Contributor

MD
USA
248 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:19:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hope they never have this type of shop again because I won't be taking it. I left the location being told I would be called the next day to see if I was approved or denied. It wasn't an immediate thing like I assumed. Then the next day I was denied and it surely isn't because of my credit. I'm not sure what the client I looking for and I should be paid since it was not a fault of my own.
Go to Top of Page

Joyce in Maine
Valued Contributor

Maine
USA
123 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  11:45:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They will pay all the fees even though your loan was not approved. I had a panic attack when they said that I wasn't approved. I called the scheduler and she assured me I would still be approved for the shop (I was paid for all the fees already). My fees were over $300 and I wasn't approved because I claim realestate taxes and charitable contributions. I think they make there money on the loan application fees. I think it would be interesting to know what the % of people that apply for the loan are really approved.

Joyce

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  11:34:34 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
so the more complicated the return, they don't approve you for the loan? I usually do my own taxes but the fee for this one compared to the effort seemed like a great situation. I have not only charitable deductions but also mortgage interest, property taxes and this year I sold some stocks as well. I guess I better contact the scheduler.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising exclusively!
Go to Top of Page

Joyce in Maine
Valued Contributor

Maine
USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  3:04:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
As long as you meet -- I think the $1000 minimum --- and don't care if you are not approved for the loan -- then I would say go ahead. It just slows down your actual check -- in the past I had my refund direct deposited -- if you are not approved for the loan -- it takes maybe an extra week to 10 days -- because I think they sent the actual check to the tax preparer and I needed to pick it up there. The other thing I am not sure of -- is if he loan application counts against your credit. I would just verify with the scheduler that this year if you are not approved for the loan, will all of your fees still be paid.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Dee

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  11:44:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have so many questions.
Based on my complicated scenario, I was turned down, but my husband raised an interesting question. Since we were thinking of filing separately this year, my husband thought he would do this shop.
He thinks he would qualify, but without doing his taxes, he is only guessing at the $1000 refund.

Does anyone have helpful hints on making sure the shop is accepted?

Thanks

Sandra Dee
Go to Top of Page

Rene-R
Valued Contributor

Phoenix, AZ
USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  7:30:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am soooo confused about this shop...

I applied because I got a severance package that I thought would be a W-2, but when it came it was actually a 1099. I had already applied for the shop, so I took the quiz they asked me to take, and selected "no" when it asked if I was getting a W2. I also put a question in the comments asking if a 1099 would eliminate me from being eligible.

I assumed they were eventually going to cancel my application, but instead I got an email asking me to confirm the shop. I replied back and said that I hadn't heard back about the fact that I wouldn't get a W2 after all, so I didn't want to confirm. Instead of an answer, I got a snarky email about how I must not have read the confirmation email where it said I should email my scheduler.

I answered the questions on the eligibility quiz appropriately, so I'm assuming that if I have real estate taxes, self-employed income, charitable contributions, etc on my tax return, then I am still eligible for this shop??

Gold shopping metro Phoenix & airports everywhere, since 2005. ~ Have Video equipment, will travel!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums