Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  1:09:26 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've had a real craving for Sweet Potato Pie.

Yes, I grew up in NY, but I also was the only source for the pie shells for some nice southern ladies who sold Sweet Potato Pies every season. I actually brought in a certain pie shell just for them. They occasionally rewarded my customer service with a really good pie.

I made this recipe from FoodTV's Alton Brown:
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
but it called for 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt which I know is not a traditional southern ingredient. I assume he was trying to lighten it up. Anyway, I could taste the yogurt which gave the pies a sour or lemony taste. Alton's recipe also has 5 egg yolks in it, which is probably another "light" twist on the recipe.

Personally I don't make anything "light" and would rather have a half portion of the real thing than a whole portion of something "light."

I do like Alton's method of steaming the potatoes and will definitely continue to do that.

I also liked Alton's chopped pecans on top, but not sure if that is a traditional thing.

So, I am also looking for a traditional recipe if anyone has one.

GWEN'S SWEET POTATO PIE
And with 1 can evaporated milk and a stick of butter, it is not light. But regular sugar instead of brown seems wrong. And 3 pounds of potatoes for 1 pie?

Still looking.

CarolynRosell
Star Contributor

Vineland, NJ
USA
1417 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  1:14:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Try this link: http://www.chitterlings.com/ppie.html

I shop Vineland, Deptford, Mays Landing and Atlantic City, NJ
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  1:19:28 PM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Ray:

This recipe has 'regular' sugar and not brown as well ... but as someone who has lived in the south all her life ... and who knows the person whose site has this recipe on it and has eaten this person's pies many many many years ... I can vouche for them being about as traditionally southern as can be.

http://www.gagirl.com/southern/spotpie.html

Sweet Potato Pie

Oven: 350 55-60 minutes
Yield: 1 9" pie

1 lb. sweet potatoes
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 9" pie crust

Peel and boil sweet potatoes until tender. Drain and cool.
Combine all ingredients with a mixer on low setting. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 55-60 minutes.

~~~~~~~~
This recipe makes ONE non-deep dish pie ... if you want to make 2 pies or one deep dish one, just double the recipe. But I don't suggest deep dish for sweet potatoe pie ... you just seem to get the wrong ratio of filling to crust. You can top the pie with meringue or a dollop of whipped cream if you wish, but I prefer it just plain ... and still warm! You can use a can of sweet potatoe if you don't want the hassle of boiling real ones ... it turns out almost as good. And you can add a dash of nutmeg if you like but I prefer just cinnamon.

For a crisper crust (since this tends to be a somewhat wet filling) I would suggest pricking the pie shell several times with the tines of a fork ... and dusting it very lightly with flour before filling it.

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2003 :  1:27:08 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Carolyn

I looked at that one.
Soul Food Recipes: Delicious Sweet Potato Pie

2 cups of sugar to 4 potatoes? That can't be right.
Go to Top of Page

.ColleenNYC
Inactive

New York City, NY
USA
1700 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  07:13:27 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ummm.... Sweet Potato Pie. Ray is right, if you are in the NY Metro area - you can find great sources for these. I am lucky have a great friend who grew up in South Carolina, and makes the BEST Sweet Potato Pie ever!! I have already made the call - so she will whip one up for me, for Christmas. Her recipe is a secret, but I try every year to pry it out of her. She loves my Sangria - maybe I will make it a bit stronger this year...and she will finally crack!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  07:37:20 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I made GaGirl's recipe. The only change I made was to add a pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg, and put chopped pecans on top. It came out very good, but was a bit too sweet for what I wanted. Granted the salt made it taste sweeter, so I should have cut the sugar down by adding the salt. And I coated the pecans in 1 tablespoon maple syrup before putting them on top. So, the recipe may not be too sweet and my additions could have been the cause.

I got another 10 pounds of potatoes yesterday and will be going again. This time I'll try 3/4 cup dark brown sugar instead of 1 cup white sugar. I'll keep you posted.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineHN
Star Contributor

Georgia
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  07:59:28 AM  Visit ElaineHN's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
*LOL* When I posted earlier, I almost commented that GA Girl's recipe doesn't contain nutmeg which some people like but that I know she doesn't. (Geez, I just went back and reread my post and I *did* mention that ... duh! *lol* Guess I should reread BEFORE I post!)

Personally I can take it or leave it. I put a little in my pumpkin pie but not in my sweet potato.

I bet the addition of Pecans was YUMMY!!!!

Elaine

~*~ Shopping West Georgia (Carrollton, Douglasville, Newnan, etc.) & Metro Atlanta ~*~
MSPA Gold Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

Sandi In Mississippi
Star Contributor

MS
USA
1285 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  09:01:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just made one!

MaMaw Hill's Sweet Potato Pie
Bake at 450 for 10 minutes,
turn down to 350 and bake 45 more minutes

Combine all this and mix well:
1 1/2 cups mashed, cooked sweet potatoes
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t cinammon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
2 well-beaten large eggs
1/2 t vanilla

Melt this together and gradually pour into potato mixture, beating
till smoooth:

1/4 cup real butter
1 cup whole milk

------and Ray, if you wanta get adventurous and do the sweet potato casserole route -------
Double recipe, don't mash the potatoes very smooth and change to brown sugar.
When you melt the butter, use only 1/2 cup milk and 1/8-1/4 cup bourbon. Turn into casserole dish and cover with foil. For last 10 minutes of cooking take it out, hold close to the bag, and the baby marshmallows for the top will jump into the bourbon taters on their own. L0L
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  09:51:27 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have made the pie posted by ElaineHN several times. It is quite good.

I made it this week and after doubling the recipe, I found I only had 1 pie shell. So, I made one pie in the shell and put the rest into a heavy ceramic pie plate. The shell-less pie was as good if not better than the one with the frozen shell.

Probably if you made a pie shell from scratch it would be better, but between the store bought shell and none, I think I am going to opt for none from now on.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  4:04:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray--I agree about the store-bought shell. Here's an easy pie crust recipe that gets lots of compliments:

2 cups flour
2/3 cup lard
1/3 cup milk
pinch salt

Cut the lard into the flour and salt. When it is crumbly, sprinkle the milk around, dribbling as evenly over the mixture as possible. Mix together until it begins to stick into a larger ball. Divide in half. Roll out each half in flour, keeping in mind that the less you handle it the flakier it will be.

I always bake the shell for a few minutes before adding the filling for a sweet-potato or pumpkin pie to keep it from turning into what my family lovingly called, "Grandma's rubber pie crust." Her pies were wonderful, with flaky crusts--except for this instance.

When I bother to use a recipe for a sweet potato pie, I just use the Libby's pumpkin recipe, substituting the main ingredient and adding additional spices, like nutmeg, cardamon, cinnamon, clove, allspice, ginger. Whichever comes to hand in any combination. I also use dark brown sugar--and sometimes maple syrup gets substituted for half the sugar.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

GenieBird
Trainee

Omaha, NE
USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  1:03:25 PM  Visit GenieBird's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray - you can use any good pumpkin pie recipe and substitute cooked mashed sweet potatoes for the pumpkin. I play around with the sugar -- sometimes brown, sometimes honey -- sometimes I add a hint of molasses to my other sweetener. I don't use all molasses because it tends to overpower other flavors.

I like to use a whole wheat crust with pumpkin/sweet potatoes -- it has a nice nutty flavor. I just use my regular crust recipe (from my Betty Crocker cookbook) and substitute whole wheat flour for anywhere from half to all the flour. The more whole wheat you add the harder it will be to roll the crust out -- it tends to break easier.

I saw in another post that you were looking for sweet potatoe recipes. We eat quite a few sweet potatoes (hubby is allergic to white potatoes) but most of the things I do have already been mentioned. I did find a recipe the other day that looked good, but I haven't tried it yet.

It called for a 28 oz can of sweet potatoes canned in water (but you could cook your own -- I will when I make it.) Then you drain an 8 oz can of pineapple in juice -- save the juice and add water to make one cup. Layer your cut up sweet potatoes in a prepared casserole dish with the pineapple and 1/2 c. chopped pecans. Pour the juice over the top, cover and bake at 350 for 35 min.

Genie
Go to Top of Page

StaceyPH888
Valued Contributor

Port Orange, Florida
USA
197 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  05:08:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't make this pie myself, but I have seen several people use the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe. The only change (other than using sweet potatoes) is they use sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk.
Go to Top of Page

Chell
Star Contributor

GA
USA
814 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  07:40:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ray, My husband and I have had the pleasure of eating at Paula Dean's wonderful place in Savannah, here is her recipe:

2 cups peeled, cooked sweet potatoes
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 stick melted butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 to 2 tablespoons bourbon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup milk
9-inch unbaked pie crust
3 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the filling, using an electric hand mixer, combine the potatoes, 1 cup of the sugar, the butter, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices. Mix thoroughly. Add the milk and continue to mix. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the pie on a rack and cool to room temperature before covering with meringue.

For the meringue, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is glossy and stiff, but not dry. With a rubber spatula, spoon the meringue onto the pie, forming peaks. Make sure the meringue touches the crust all around. Sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until delicately browned. Cool and serve.

Chell
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1634 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  11:08:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am going to try one of these but use honey instead of sugar and chopped walnuts just cuz I have them!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2015 :  5:58:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I cooked a Hubbard Squash for supper a couple of days ago and it was pretty darn good. I think I will use the left-overs for a squash pie, using the Libby's pumpkin recipe--since I can't eat potatoes, anymore. I can substitute the squash for the potatoes that I used to substitute for the pumpkin!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums