Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  12:48:36 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
As part of the redesign, I want to add some tips that will appear randomly while you use the forums. For example, telling people about Active Topics.

If you have any ideas for tips, please post them here or email me.

I've also thought of having it flag people who read but never post and telling them to post something and stop just lurking. A forum is only a forum if everyone posts. If everyone just reads, there would not be much to read.

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  2:57:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think the tips are a good idea. I am certain I will learn something new and useful.

And may I suggest that in the volition survey where it asks how we found this website, that through MSPA be added as an option? I chose through a friend, because that seemed the closest. I kept reading about volition being mentioned, so I came here to see what it was. I visit here daily, but haven't been on the MSPA site for years.

And sorry if there was a more appropriate place for that. I am still not good at finding the right thread sometimes.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  6:56:23 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think the tips is a great idea too.

However, I don't think flagging people for not posting is a good idea. Not everyone is as vocal as some and I think part of the great thing about Volition is that shoppers can read and learn from others, without having to feel forced to participate. Believe it or not, I read here much more than I post. When I am feeling sad, frustrated or just need a break, it is nice to come here and read some of the funny stories others have written.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  9:19:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree Pam. I don't feel like the non-posters are "lurking". Some people are just "shy" about posting opinions.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  06:47:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Are those banner ads on the right side of the screen part of the redesign? I had learned to tune out the ones up top, but these ones on the right side of the page are irritating.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  09:12:49 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
As the page is 160 pixels wider than it was before, the ads are in a space that was never used. They did not make the page any smaller.

If you send me a donation, I can remove all the ads just for you. Otherwise I need the ads to pay for the servers that this site runs on.

( And if you tune out the ads, you won't get your free betty crocker cake. )
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50245 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  09:54:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'll pass on the cake. While I am at it, I also don't like that some of the ads seem to know what area of the country I live in, as they are showing places in my area. How do they know where I live, I sure didn't tell them?

I understand why you have the ads, we all need to make money. However, the area that actually shows the forums is about 30% smaller now. Perhaps, if I resize my screen the forum will be bigger and the ads will be off to the right, where I would have to scroll across to see them.

Edited to add: On second thought the size of the forum may not be smaller, because of the added width. But, it appears smaller. I guess it will take some getting use to.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  7:16:37 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have my favorites to the left side of my screen, I just make that larger if the ads or anything on the right side is bugging me. Some of the ads make it hard to read the posts as they are moving around, etc.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  7:20:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I find the ads on the left a little distracting too. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to them

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  6:47:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I also think people should be allowed to read before deciding if they want to post. This forum can be a little intimadating, until you get the feel of it. There is good info., they should have access to (unless there spy's), and that's another bag of worms....

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  7:48:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just realized the ads I mentioned are on the right not the left. Well, I did say they were distracting.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  10:08:06 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Irene_L.A.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Anyone can read without posting or even registering.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  2:38:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I understood Irene's comments as saying that anyone---registered or not--- should be permitted to simply read these forums, without feeling compelled to post.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  6:29:19 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
A) They are.
B) How is this related to the topic?
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6341 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  06:54:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've also thought of having it flag people who read but never post and telling them to post something and stop just lurking.

Her comments appear to be in reply to this, in the original post.

Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  07:49:01 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was talking about people who have been a member for a year and never posted. So, I guess I did not make the connection between what I said and the comment.

Yes, people can read and not post.

But if they come here every day and use the forum, they should give back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums