Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  08:40:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have tried both and have had good results with both. After my oldest daughter was born, I lost 80 pounds in 7 months with Slim Fast. After my second daughter was born, I lost 15 pounds in 2 months with Weight Watchers.
I didn't have any other kiddos, but for some reason, I weigh as much as when I was still pregnant! LOL!!!! (well, maybe not as much, but pretty darn close!!!)
So as I am getting ready to shed some pounds again, so I can meet y'all in Vegas lookin' good, I am wondering what others think about those two programs.

I like SF because it is easy and convenient meals when you're on the go. I like WW because it is not as restrictive, especially with the points system. So I was thinking , why not a combination of the two? I would be mostly on Weight Watchers, with the points, but then I would have the Slim Fast shakes for lunch and deduct the points for that.

Any thoughts?

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
MSPA Gold Certified since April 2007!

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  08:44:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think that sounds like a very good idea/plan. I don't see why you can't combine the two into something that fits what you are looking for. I use SF shakes for breakfast most mornings. (It's either that or nothing as I cannot eat in the morning without getting sick.)
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  08:47:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say, too, that the SF shakes are not that bad tasting when they're cold. I am always on the go, but I have a small cooler/lunch bag type of thing where I could keep it for a few hours until lunch time.
I think I may just give that a try.
Starting tomorrow.

Servanne
Merrily shopping my way through the Twin Cities, Western Minnesota and beyond...
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  09:00:22 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've used Slim Fast for times when I don't have time to eat. I like the flavor, but I seem to get hungry fairly quickly afterward. I've never done WW, but I have many friends who have and that seems to be the best way to control weight, long-term. I could definitely imagine using the Slim Fast, though, long enough to see some loss and feel motivated.
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  10:11:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter and her friend at the age of 15 went on WW, and used to go get hot fudge sundaes after (I found out years later). I have used slimfast, but need more food. Doesn't work for the long term. Not eating after 7ish is a good trick.

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

MsJudyP
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  10:15:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went on a liquid weight loss diet years ago-Cambridge. It was a high protein powder. I lost a bit of weight but at the time it even stopped my menstral cycle. It was pulled off the market eventually I think. It caused me to get gallstones as I found out later when my gall bladder was removed three weeks after my son was born. My friend was on it same time as me and she lost her gallbladder also. Her doctor's first quesiton was "ever been on a protein shake diet?"
I tried SLim Fast years later and it made me sick. I think whatever works for an individual is what to do.

MSPA Gold Certified
Shopping the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and beyond!
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  10:54:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MsJudy, that is scary.
Now if onyl I could find the motivation to actually do it...Wahtever it is that I choose.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

MsJudyP
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  5:17:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
you have to eat less,watch the fat intake and exercise more. My docs have been telling me this for years. There are a lot of websites that will help you track your weight,like WW and Biggest Loser and so forth. AS long as you get up and move,it should do the trick. You really need to eat a balanced diet and you can not starve yourself or your body does not have the fuel it needs to lose the weight.Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
Good luck

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  6:09:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The drink lots of water part I have issues with. I just can't drink that much water without some flavor to it. Does adding Crystal Lite to the water still let it count or not?
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  06:01:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would say Crystal Lite counts for the "keep hydrated" part, since it is still water, just with some flavor in it. I believe however that it has something like 5 calories per little pouch, so that can add up a tiny bit (if you count calories or points).
I drink anywhere between 5 and 8 bottles of water a day (the small 16 oz ones). I'm a big water drinker. I drink pop maybe once a month, if that! My weaknesses are iced tea and hot coffee. Both have no calories and I sweeten my coffee only, with Splenda-type sugar. But the caffeien is what's bad in them.

I also have a tendency to finish my kids' plates, because I hate wasting. I suppose I need to rethink that one.

Servanne
Go to Top of Page

MsJudyP
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  7:16:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Greta
my doctor said plain water is the best since it does not have any added chemicals that are in the flavors,etc.If you dont like water,she said tea is a natural diuretic if you put splenda and maybe some lemon in it which is how i do it. But,I also do the flavored waters and they are good. Target has some really yummy flavored water and I do not see how they would hurt. Better than nothing.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Gretta
Star Contributor

Jacksonville, NC
USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2009 :  7:51:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You know it never occurred to me to put lemon in water. That would flavor it. I should definitely try that. Thanks for the idea.
Go to Top of Page

SueMontagne
Star Contributor

USA
786 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  5:10:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only thing that ever worked for me was high-volume, low calorie items. A whole head of lettuce sprinkled with red wine vinegar and lemon pepper. Or celery. Or cooked vegetables. Remember The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet? All you can eat lean protein and lots and lots of water. Works great!

Take care -
Sue Montagne
Hair & MSPA Cert: Silver (70 - the new 30!)
"Retired" and LOVING it (mostly)!!!
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  07:38:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I lost 3 pounds last week...yahoo!

Breakfast = oatmeal and berries, or soft boiled egg and wheat toast
late lunch = chicken, tuna or fish, salad (lots of veggies), eaten around 2 or 3:00
no dinner...snack of yogurt or apple and peanut butter...

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

MsJudyP
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  07:51:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Skipping a meal is so not the way to go. I am diabetic so that would not work for me. The body needs the fuel to funtion. Although losing the weight is nice,starving the body of needed nutrients is not recommended. I can not do lettuce by itself as it causes reflux for one and has no nutrional value whatsoever. Mixed with some chicken or tuna then it works ok. But to just eat lettuce you would get no nutrition. Sure,you lose weight,but it will only stay gone for so long.To lose weight you have to FEED the body with a healthy,limited caloric/fat intake and increase activity. Quick and easy weight loss usually does not have long term results.

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  08:48:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For me it's all about the calories....can't eat more than 1,000 a day to lose. With my eating out msing, very hard, so, when I don't have restaurants to do,, I do it my way. I eat healthy, but not a lot, especially at night. I also give up processed foods, sugar, white flour and white bread...do eat grains and love wraps, and have a small piece of dark chocolate a day. Another favorite is (low carb, no added sugar) vanilla ice cream and diet root beer float, very filling.

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6492 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:07:43 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Servanne

I also have a tendency to finish my kids' plates, because I hate wasting. I suppose I need to rethink that one.

That would be ok if you started out with the same amount of food on your plate that you give them. I am using smaller plates these days too.Trying to trick myself.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

MsJudyP
Star Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
1124 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:23:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Pam-smaller plates is the way to go. Fool yourself into thinking it is more,but that does not mean fill that little plate with cake.

Irene,the way you describe what you eat is similar to how a diabetic eats. Low fat,low carb,limit processed sugars and so forth. I am also supposed to watch the caloric intake. But you know,it is so hard to follow all those rules. I get overwhelmed at times. I plan to get at it better here soon. I have been reading the Biggest Loser tips on line and they make sime good points.Those people lost a LOT of weight and many have kept it off.
I am also joining the recreation center next month!They have great workout equipment and water aerobics. That will be good with my bad knees

MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Irene_L.A.
Star Contributor

Valencia, California
USA
922 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  1:13:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, the biggest loser folks excercise to death. I have a calorie burner, and go on it for 10 or 15 minutes everytime I come home (it's in the gargage), small nutrious meal throughout the day is good, keeps the sugar level even, no highs or lows. Whole Foods have gluten free foods, which is good for you. I eat a bread called Ezekiel (low sodiumm) which has alot of protein in it, and is flourless, I make a huge tuna sandwich with alvocado's and tomatoe's and am really full. This is only when I have a need to diet (now). This has ben a healthy way for me to get it off. Next week I am doing 4 restaurants.....help!

Irene Eichel
Go to Top of Page

Nora
Star Contributor

PA
USA
6340 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  1:57:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I swear that when I get on an M&M kick, I lose weight. It works and I ain't questioning it...
Go to Top of Page

Servanne
Star Contributor

Silver Lake, MN
USA
2430 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  2:00:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nora

I swear that when I get on an M&M kick, I lose weight. It works and I ain't questioning it...

Lucky you...Let me go try that right now!!!!

Servanne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums