Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MartinBetchy
Contributor

Clairton, PA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  3:52:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have a new rant to start today.... It's about the some of the childish shoppers who are on these boards!! You know who you all are and most of the memebers here know who you are too! This board is a place for us to research things and vent our frustrations with others who understand what we are going through. In this business, we don't get to meet others who shop very often and this board is refreshing to know we can all get together here and talk and help others. SOME on here feel like they are the Gods of mystery shopping and talk down to you like you are beneath them, well I have new NONE OF US know it all! Thats part of the reason we are here is to get help and to help, not critize and demean others. Then we have the tattle tale who run to the companies and tell them so and so has a problem with their company, well the post is here for all the companies to read and also comment on if they like. And most of us do take our problems to the companies, but I feel it is also important for us to put the troubles we have had with companies in this forum for others to be warned of. We all have had a problem at some point that no other shopper has had with a company and hopefully they never will but again part of why we are here is to provide feedback on good experiences and also on the bad ones. So if you think your getting brownie points with any companies for this behavior think again, I've had discussions with several schedulers about that sort of tattling and they have all told me they don't really like it and it also makes them distrusting of the shopper who "tattled" because they can't be sure what else they are "tattling" to other companies about them! So thank you to all who are here to help and seek help, and for those of you who have encountered these "snakes" and self-proclaimed "Gods" among us, I feel your pain and wish we could all grow-up and be civil to one another. Just my

Marty
MSPA Silver Certified in Pittsburgh, PA

Brandi_Nicole
Trainee

Acworth, Georgia
USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  4:51:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Amen

Edit:
I am still new to this whole mystery shopping thing, but I try my best to have respect for people that have been in the "business" longer than I have. There is always more to learn, and someone else will always know more than you do!

Also, I learned in kindergarten that tattle-tailing is not nice...

Brandi
Happily mystery shopping around Atlanta suburbs.
Go to Top of Page

JeffInIL
Star Contributor

IL
USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  5:17:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lots of bugs on your chair tonight, Martin? I love rants and enjoyed yours!

>> "...vent our frustrations with others"

I'm all over that one!

>> "...wish we could all grow-up and be civil to one another."

I can't say I've noticed any lack of civility between shoppers. Anger toward MSCs, sure, but not shopper on shopper attacks. Or I missed 'em. Volition's 'wizard behind the curtain' doesn't allow flaming, so perhaps the offending posts were removed?

As for the tattling, couldn't agree with you more! I'm not really concerned about it much though. In fact, I want companies to read our complaints, and to know that not all of us will remain silent in the face of mistreatment or abuse. Though I guess when I think about it, I could be accused of tattling on MSCs to other SHOPPERS.
Guilty as charged, Your Honor!

Good post, MB.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

MartinBetchy
Contributor

Clairton, PA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  5:25:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You gave me a much needed laugh Jeff The shopper attacks come on private messages, that's why they haven't been kicked off of here yet.

I can't agree more that I feel the companies need to read the complaints on here, because I am another one who will not remain silent when mistreated!

Marty
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6557 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  6:30:39 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Martin, if you are getting nasty emails or attacks from any shopper, you should forward the message to the moderators. I know from experience, they take those matters seriously. Sorry to hear that is happening to you.

Edited to add:
Jeff, you are a hoot!

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  8:14:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Okay I will say I have not been in on the discussions as much recently as I use to be. With that being said, I will say I never did get any emails from anyone, even when we do the bickering on some forums (ie. random thoughts lol). I think we bicker but still respect each other at the same time, well I do anyway and figure each is entitled to their own opinion even if I don't agree with it. Lastly, I can almost bet just knowing the type of person I am if I did get such an email I would be the one to tell em to kiss off and either don't read my posts, post about it in the forum for discussion or shut the blah blah up . Then again, for some reason I could just see the person who did it being the cry baby to the moderator and making it look like I just sent the email out of spite to them, forgetting all about the email they sent. Oh well.

Jeff you are hearby ordered to serve on the MS board, agreeing to work for next to nothing, give your first born to the company in return for them giving you the job with the small fee they give you, and you must also stay up all night getting all of those reports done.

Brandi I think you will find that even the most experienced of shoppers will still tell you they learn new things. One of the best ones is talking on this rant here (Pam). But you said it right on with the respect. It is not just respect for those who have been at it longer, but for everyone on here. While one of us may never do a job for one company, someone else loves them, and I feel we are each entitled to our opinions and that we should be able to voice them here without getting "jumped".

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

JenFelix
Contributor

Randleman, NC
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  9:15:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have not been on for a while as I have been going back to school, but I love this thread!! I have never felt like I was talked down to, but I agree with Pam that if you feel it happens you should report it to the moderator. I too would probably tell someone where to "get off" if I ever felt someone stepped over the line, but as my husband says, I have the tact of a door knob!

Jennifer "Cookielady" Felix, Silver Certified. Still shopping and loving it.
Go to Top of Page

MartinBetchy
Contributor

Clairton, PA
USA
68 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  9:59:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with you all, I think MOST of us have respect for one another. It's tough to be out there and we hardly ever see one another and we know someone out there is going through the same thing we are. This forum is a wonderful place for all of us, it's just the few on here who try to ruin it for everyone, and I wanted to call them out in this thread, I used class in not using their names, but they know who they are and one day will be sorry for all they have done. Fantastic point about how we are ALWAYS learning! I think you can be in this business for 35 and still learn something new about it every day.

Marty
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6557 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:22:02 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
You know, I learn from both the shoppers who have been around forever and the new shoppers. Everyone has their own perspective and sometimes what I need to hear, only an experienced shopper can tell me. At other times, those fresh eyes and energetic attitudes are just what the "Mystery Shopping Doctor" ordered.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

JeffInIL
Star Contributor

IL
USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  05:59:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randi H

Jeff you are hearby ordered to serve on the MS board, agreeing to work for next to nothing, give your first born to the company in return for them giving you the job with the small fee they give you, and you must also stay up all night getting all of those reports done.

That reads like a cut and paste from some of the ICAs I've signed. Except you forgot about the part where reports are due within 5 hours of the shop, but payments can be late by 30 days or more.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Randi H
Star Contributor

Orange, Virginia
USA
931 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  07:11:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote

Randi
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
544 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  10:05:34 AM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffInIL
That reads like a cut and paste from some of the ICAs I've signed. Except you forgot about the part where reports are due within 5 hours of the shop, but payments can be late by 30 days or more.

Actually, Jeff, I've changed those terms on you without any prior notice. Reports are now due 12 seconds after the shop is completed because our client requires immediate notification of how they are doing. For every second your report is late, we will dock you $1 from your payment/reimbursement. If your report is over 12 seconds late, the shop will be canceled.

Oh, and before I forget, you must now get the name, gender, height, hair color, and age of every employee who was worked for the client since they opened their doors 50 years ago. You must also tell us what they are currently doing.

Enjoy.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  1:31:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Alan, for shame. You forgot to add that you have to make the descriptions be totally objective and that you must be careful to use the correct terms and complete descriptions.

For example, men are never "bald," they have "shaved heads", with possibly a "fashionably long lock curled around the crown." Servers are not "unkempt." They wear "stained, unironed shirts with matching splotched, over-creased pants." And if their dress is inappropriate for the job, you should report that you observed the "bright red bra straps sliding down the arms exactly matched the top of the thong sticking out the back of the jeans."

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LeeM
Contributor

Dunedin, FL
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  3:16:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The last two posts actually had me laughing out loud!!!

I wanted to contribute to this thread and thank those of you who do take the time to post. I have a few permanent assignments with one company and pick up a few jobs here and there, but I always come to the forums to check out the companies I haven't worked for before I decide whether or not to take the job - and for your input, I am thankful.

Some of the topics do get pretty heavy - especially the political ones - but if I don't like the tone, I just stay out of that particular forum. Gotta love freedom - you are free to say what you wish and I am free to ignore it. Happy Independence Day to all!

Special thanks to Marie in Chicago for posting all the freebie and sweekstakes stuff - I have received some really nice products thanks to her info.

Lee
Shopping in Dunedin
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  4:08:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I second the kudos to Marie. It is time-intensive to post all of that stuff and I'm glad you do it.

Martin, sometimes things get heated around here. I know I can be guilty of 'personal attacks'. Anyhow, admin here does take it seriously and cleans up the boards. If you are offensively contacted via email through their system, just forward the email to admin. Just because it's done off the board doesn't mean it's okay to do it. Don't reply. If you reply the offender knows your email and can go 'off system'. There is nothing much admin can do about that.

If I get something off board I don't like I usually ignore it unless it's solicitations by somebody I don't know who wants me to buy something from them, lol.

Telling on others is not nice but it does happen. Those companies who want to know can and do read the boards. The others usually get annoyed. It does create an atmosphere of distrust. I don't think those doing the tattling usually stand to gain from it. What goes around comes around. One also has to figure just like in real business life, for anybody who loudly complaints there are ten others with a similar experience who just quietly stop working for them. Instead of tattling maybe the person should figure out if there is some truth to what has been said.

And yes, the random thought section can get heated

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Kathy69
Contributor

AZ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  5:58:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Martin, Thanks for bringing this up I have been on volition almost every day for the last year and because of what I read I'm afraid to post most of the time. Even though I really want to help.
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
544 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  6:29:46 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
One thing to keep in mind, whether you are reading a post or writing a post, is that our contact is all done through written word. And the written word does not have the ability to convey emotion like talking face-to-face or on the phone can. The ability to send/read the other person is lost.

That's why when you read a post, you should always give the writer the benefit of the doubt. And when you write a post, you should always read it back first and ask yourself how you would take the post. If necessary, add an emoticon or two to lighten the mood of the post.

Or, like in my case, get sick in the middle of writing the post and share it with everyone else.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have exactly 11 of my 12 seconds left to enter this 235 repetitive narrative report.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums