Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  6:23:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I need the bakers out there help. My brother-in-law absolutely loves raisin pie, but he wants the filling that was available in grocery stores in a jar,or possibly, was a canned item from a Food Service company that furnishes to restaurants, we think many years ago. He says his Mother made the absolute greatest pie, but no family member has the recipe.. Ive searched to no avail...and a from scratch filling doesnt make the hit list for him. At one time, someone submitted a link to oldie favorites no longer available, and Im hoping you can help me. It's pretty sad when I make pies for my sister, but her husband is left out. I went visiting this past week and baked up several favorite pies for her, and many berry pies for her hubby,to freeze up, but, Id love to be able to make his all time favorite.

Eileen0594
Contributor

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  07:06:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have my grandma's recipe box and she has a recipe for raisin pie, but it is making the filling from scratch so it probably would't help. I could send it if you want.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
61417 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:54:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eileen0594

I have my grandma's recipe box
Don't you love looking through old recipe boxes? They have a lot of character IMO. I treasure the handwritten recipes from relatives who are no longer with us. I have a chocolate cake recipe that my grandma wrote and must have baked a lot, it's dated 1945. There's splashes of cake batter on it which has made the paper brittle.

As for the raisin pie filling, I could only find this:
Go to Top of Page

Eileen0594
Contributor

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2009 :  1:32:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marie, I do love looking through my grandma's recipes and have her Betty Crocker cookbook too. Now if I only had the time.

I found this: http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=6775

Marie's find made me think to look at a local farmers market type place for homemade canned/jarred goodies.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
949 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  06:11:50 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help. Im going to order the product that Eileen found, as Im betting like most canned fillings, there will be an abundance of the flavorful filling, and less raisins, that my brother in law especially wants. Generally, I make 16 large 10" Apple pies to send to them, as they live in another state. Now, I can add several single person sized Raisin pies to the shipment,as a BIG surprise for him. Ill let you know how he likes them. Thank you VERY much for your help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:
Active Topics

If you are logged in, click the link above to see all the topics that have had posts since your last visit.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums