Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Feedback Requested: Certified Marketing Services (CMS) (2)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

DagnyO

San Antonio, TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  3:58:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla,

thanks for the info! This is the first time I've done IC work, so was unsure about that 1099.

Dagny
Merchandising and resets in the San Antonio, TX Metro area covering Converse, Schertz, Selma, Universal City
NARMS Merchandising Proficiency Test Passed
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Lynne
Contributor

PA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  4:02:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wait, am I reading this correctly? Certified pays mileage?

Sharon Lynne
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  4:53:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No, sorry. Another company pays me mileage. I try to schedule my Certified work along with the other company. If Certified would pay mileage or even some print costs, we would all be happier.

DagnyO, you did keep receipts for your paper, ink and other supplies? Hope so, they are also deductible on your Schedule C.

Yes, if you take your taxes to a tax preparer you will pay more for their services, but they do have to work harder and some of them may not realize what our deductions could amount to.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

DagnyO

San Antonio, TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  6:55:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Definetely kept those receipts and wrote down mileage. I learned the hard way. I have folders for each type of receipt ie office supplies, clothing, vehicle, etc. There's also a notebook for each company where I write down where, when, how far round trip and mileage. This way I can also see if it's worth it to keep working for a company.

I'll have to dig & check, but I think food or drink you buy while out on calls is still deductable as a business expense. Or that only applies if you're an IC. Just don't quote me.

Dagny
Merchandising and resets in the San Antonio, TX Metro area covering Converse, Schertz, Selma, Universal City
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  8:35:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Somebody e-mailed me after seeing my post re: mileage loss, etc: & told me that the mileage allowance from the IRS is actually .52 cents a mile not the 35 cents I thought. (Don't remember where I heard that number & I haven't actually checked it out yet) So I put 6,461 miles on the car doing merchandising this year. That x 52 cents comes to $3,360 & I earned $2,1881 from CMS resulting in no income to report. Now my CMS jobs are on a route that I make for another company so I didn't actually drive any extra miles for these assignments and if the other company paid mileage I wouldn't even be making these calculations. So lets say half of those miles for CMS & half for the other company. That would be 2,330 miles x 52 cents. That would be 1,159.60 resulting in an income of $1,022 from CMS. But wait, we haven't deducted the cost of paper or ink from that yet of which I estimate 2/3 is for CMS work but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say 1/2. You see where this is going? I still end up with a loss on work for this company. Does this help any? It's not really a concern for me as I am on SS & I never make enough over that to have to pay taxes anyway.

Several posts back I was talking about how I had called in for extra time on the DG & FL DVD returns. I only asked for 15 min per store & I was told on the phone it was OK would be noted in my file. When the pay came for those visits I was not given the extra time/pay so I sent a message to their payment inquiry. Today I get an e-mail from them. Remember they can't use the message board for me now as I am persona-non grata. They are asking me who I talked to on those calls that gave approval for the extra time. This was 3 calls over a two day period almost a month ago. I don't remember who I talked to so I guess I can kiss that little bit of money good bye. I did reply & tell them I didn't remember. Also in the e-mail was a section in red that said all inquiries had to have your ID#, Project ID#, site # & date of service or they would not be researched. Mine did have all this but some of you might not be be aware of this. And since mine did have all of this I could've done without the lecture. I got a DD on 1/8. I don't think it was all of my work but since I can't access the site I have no way of knowing. I asked them in my reply today if I could get a copy of the breakdown in visits paid. Do you think they will do that? I doubt it. I think I am missing a visit plus the extra time above. I don't expect to ever see it.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

KizziLittle
Apprentice

Madison, Indiana
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  9:24:05 PM  Send KizziLittle an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone,

I was poking around and I saw posts about the Sony DVDs at the Dollar General and how they are supposed to be priced at 8 instead of 10 dollars. I have three stores, and I have discovered that other SONY DVDs located elsewhere in the store are stickered at 10 dollars. The paperwork says ALL Sony DVDs should have the lower price point.

My question to you is does all Sony DVDs including the ones not on my plan-o-gram need to be re-stickered?

I have sent Certified a message, but I have received no response.

Thanks for your help! I stumbled upon DG/Sony posts earlier, but not I can't find them and have tried searching too!
Go to Top of Page

JillinMichigan
Contributor

Washington Township, MI
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  10:52:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember my parents working for them (about 25-30 years ago) where the cash was picked up at the midnight movies and a cashier's check was sent to them. They actually paid a decent wage and treated you like an actual human being then (and not a commodity like they do now) or my parents would not have done it. I did alot of work for them 6-7 years ago where the pay was probably only slightly higher than it is now, and there was a death in the family and they did not care. I know it is a bitter pill to swallow with the door being slammed in your face. However, it will free up your time to find other companies that respect you and pay a decent wage. I have not cared one bit that I don't work for them anymore based on all of the negative posts on Volition in both forums.

MSPA Gold Certified shopper - shop and merchandise in Metro Detroit and Port Huron areas
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  05:50:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
@JillinMichigan...you are most likely right! Good advice!

What ever happened to Chris (was it Owens??) that use to be on here and worked for CMS - is he still around?
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  07:59:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa, Chris is still around. He was transferred to a different department
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  6:21:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
According to IRS booklet, 2009 mileage rate is 55 cents per mile. It makes it even worse.

DagnyO, it sounds like you have a good system. But NO food and drink are not allowed UNLESS you are required by your company to stay OVERNIGHT. Hasn't been allowed for years.

KLittle, the $10 movies were to be returned awhile ago. If the movies are not on POG, return them. But be sure that all price labels say SPHE and are white. We do not do anything with the ones that labels are yellow.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  8:57:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jill, if your post was meant for me. Unfortunately there are no other merchandising opportunities available in this area. I looked for a long time before I found CMS & the one other that I still work for. But that's OK. No regrets so far.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

DagnyO

San Antonio, TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  08:17:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MarlaB,

well, crud! And here I was hoping that I could deduct my Dr. Pepper habit!

Dagny
Go to Top of Page

JillinMichigan
Contributor

Washington Township, MI
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  09:15:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle R

Jill, if your post was meant for me. Unfortunately there are no other merchandising opportunities available in this area. I looked for a long time before I found CMS & the one other that I still work for. But that's OK. No regrets so far.

I just sent you an e-mail with work you might be interested in. I hope that the locations are not too far away from you.

MSPA Gold Certified shopper - shop and merchandise in Metro Detroit and Port Huron areas
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  8:57:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Got it Jill but they're not near me. I sent you an e-mail in return. Did you get it?

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

KentB

Cordova, TN
USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  6:17:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle R

So I put 6,461 miles on the car doing merchandising this year. That x 52 cents comes to $3,360 & I earned $2,1881 from CMS resulting in no income to report.

If you receive a 1099-Misc from any company and had income of $400 or more, be sure to list that amount on your Schedule C or line 21 of Form 1040 (Other Income), even if you show a loss after deducting your expenses. If you don't, the IRS computer may send you a correspondence audit. You can show a loss for 2 of the last 5 years. Otherwise, you can only deduct expenses up to the amount of earnings.

KentB, Senior Tax Advisor
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  04:03:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kent, I'm sure you are more up to date on some tax issues than I am. Just keeping up with what I need for Schedule C and farm income along with normal W-2 wages. I don't sell my services, never got into preparing taxes for pay, but took plenty of classes in the last 30+ years.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

TeresaCarver

Broxton, GA
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  09:01:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone do the Maternity Wear in Belk stores? I had been doing 2 stores, but I haven't had one since the middle of Dec. For some reason, on my last report, my photos didn't go thru...the girl that called said that the file was there, but it was empty. I emailed the photos as per instructions. Then I got an email about it a few days later saying that the photos were missing from my report, so I sent them again as per instructions in the email with an explanation that I had already sent them in per the phone call! Maybe they took them away? But I haven't seen them on the Jobs page as open????
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  10:53:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, Sony is pulling out of one of my Food Lion stores. Honestly, I'm not surprised. I honestly think that weeks went by with only one or two DVD's total being sold. I saw one popular movie not sell at all in two months. The inventory on it stayed the same visit after visit. I got a call Friday morning, wanting me to go and box all product for return either Friday or today. I told them I couldn't do it either day. I said I could do it on Monday, but the scheduler said it had to be done by Sat. I get home last night and find the assignment on my page???

I updated status that I would go on Monday. I guess they either decided it could wait til then or the scheduler assigned me anyways??? If they call about it, I will say I what I told the scheduler. If they don't like it, oh well. I'm not messing up a weekend for a store that is out of the way on so short notice.

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

BrianHanson37
Valued Contributor

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  12:46:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was assigned GameStops this summer for Sony DVDS. The first week I spent 3 hours (wasted time over the capped, but thought I might get paid, never did) and the next week they send me paperwork saying to box it all up and send it back. Well I didn't have enough labels and the store didn't want them there and I took them home to have FEDEX come pick up at my house. Guess what? 5 months later I still have 3 boxes full of DVDS and UMDS at my house! I contacted them three times and was either ignored or told that they would send them.
Go to Top of Page

DagnyO

San Antonio, TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  10:16:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had three GS this past summer. Made four visits then was suddenly yanked from the stores. No explanation as to why, but I noticed that they were assigned to someone else. Now I'm a bit glad.

Dagny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums