Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Feedback Requested: Certified Marketing Services (CMS) (2)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Winona
Valued Contributor

Huntsville, AL
USA
106 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  10:36:50 PM  Visit Winona's Homepage  Send Winona an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dar-L

I agree that we should be paid for our work, and I don't remember being informed about these elective pics in the pre-assignment info. But my report printouts show no pay cap on this job. So why not spend a few extra minutes shopping/browsing, taking some pics, and get paid extra for it, all the while making brownie points with the company? (But let's be reasonable about it!)

My stores showed 60 minute cap on the paperwork & on the first page of the instructions, but stated 45 minutes cap under Assignment Details on the web site. This too has been happening for over 2 months now & I always get paid the 45 minute rate, altho the form clearly states 60. I emailed and then called them when I first noticed, and was told Yes, it's 45 minutes. I pointed out that 60 was stated elsewhere and was given the old 'well you can always call in for more time' line. To which I replied 'and if I call in for more time, but it isn't on my check, I'll have to file a payment inquiry?' Answer was Yes. Why do I have to chase down proper pay? Why can't they be honest about what they're paying for the visit?

Winona
Servicing north Huntsville, Harvest, Toney, Meridianville, Hazel Green, New Market, AL as well as Ardmore & Fayetteville, TN
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  06:31:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well I decided that Big Sue was right in her comments and this afternoon I am going to sit down and figure out each perm job that I have with CMS - the pay and the drive time (we are moving so the drive time will be different). It seems to me that I can make more money doing something else. The photos have not been a big deal at all for me, but several of my stores will not allow them. Last month I needed 15 more minutes for a project, called, was told it was okay but never paid for it. Otherwise they have always paid me on time and I do like the work - but they irate me to no end. So sad - years ago they were my favorite and highest paid company ($14.00 for most jobs) and now.....yikes.
Go to Top of Page

DianeScraps

PA
USA
15 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  06:54:18 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
uggggg!

I have a regular merchandising assignment every 2 weeks, works in with a route of jobs I have for them.

Work for it should have been done last week, but we got notice to wait for signage for it, so I did, I updated my status daily. My signage arrived late afternoon 2/1. I spoke with a rep on 2/2 and advised that I would complete it that day. Went to enter it 2/2 late night - and can't. Sent message to them, and have now spoken to them twice. They have 'closed out the assignment' and I am SOL on getting payment for the job that I complete and made a special trip 1hr and 30 minutes away for! I have been doing this assignment since 12/1/2008! I've taken the paycuts, done all the extras that they threw at me, not a problem - but come on people!
Go to Top of Page

BrianInGA
Valued Contributor

Columbus, GA
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  6:02:50 PM  Send BrianInGA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done one of the Kmart (KUR) resets that have been posted recently? I just got assigned to one here in town and was just wondering whether they typically went smoothly, or if I should plan for more than the cap time-wise on that day...

Brian
MSPA Silver Certified - Contact me for your shopping and merchandising needs in Columbus, GA and Phenix City, AL
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  7:50:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Brian, will be doing mine next Tuesday. Paperwork is not yet available, so I don't know what to expect.

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  8:53:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dar-L while it is true we don't HAVE to work for CMS it helps to have a paycheck if you need the money. As you pointed out there are other companies out there. However NONE of them have work available in my area at all. I suspect this is true in a lot of rural areas. You are lucky to never have a problem with your paychecks. I found that in the last year or so the pay dates were random & you could never count on it arriving on an expected date. Very hard to keep a budget if CMS was your primary source of income or you needed it to pay some of the bills. You can not discuss payroll problems with anyone over the phone like you used to be able to do. You have to make an inquiry & hope that they will answer you. I never was paid for the extra time I called in for even though it was approved over the phone at the timne. I sent an inquiry & I did get an answer. They wanted to know who I spoke with that approved the extra time. Well I spoke with 3 different people in a 2 day period a month before & I no longer remembered their names. This is what I told them in reply & I have not heard another word nor have I been paid the money due me. I worked for them for four years & defended them many times when others were comnplaining. ( We all complain about our jobs at some time or other.) I enjoyed the work & didn't complain about the rate of pay but in the last year I have seen a significant decline in their professionalism & their attitude to their reps. When they started accusing me of thngs that I did not do,that was it for me. I always did a good job for them, always did what they asked, contacted them if there was any kind of problem, filed my reportss on time & did little extras that I didn't get paid for. But none of this mattered to them. I just got tired of saying "how high" when they said "Jump. As for taking DVD pictures I left before this started. I don't mind taking pictures but it does take extra time to download them so we should get paid something for this extra time. Also I didn't like taking pictures of things in the store that we had nothing to do with. It just made me feel ike a spy or something.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:04:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never took the pictures of "displays that caught our eye" in stores, because I did not have time after the balloon inflation and the stores do not like photos being taken at all.
I may be making less money now that I am not currently working for them, although at some point in several months, I may try to start back. . .depends on income. However, I am under 100% less stress now. I too got tired of jumping when they said jump, as Gayle put it. Plus all the phone messages and e-mails about work being overdue got very, very old.

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  04:38:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well I called a total of five times yesterday to try to talk to someone about no longer doing my perm stores (I have six of them) and couldn't get a real person on the phone so finally just left a message. Who knows if they will ever get it or respond. I am lucky that I have a TON of other stuff going on and never depended on them. Those of you in rural areas, hang in there - something will happen. If nothing else look in your stores vendor book (sign in and out sheets) and write down the names and numbers of the companies servicing that store - call them and see if you can fill in during vacations or sickness just to get your feet in the door. Before the internet thats how I got ALL my jobs.

I agree with Jonathan - I feel a 100% better not having the stress.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  05:31:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong friends, I'm not defending CMS's actions. It's obvious here that they do lots of things that rub us all the wrong way. But it is their ball game, and we have to play by their rules or go home.
I applaud Jonathan and Lisa for making personal decisions to better their lives... Stress is a killer, and if they can find more stress-free work elsewhere, I'm happy for them. Myself, I guess I've learned to live with the stress. The merch jobs I do for CMS are easier and more profitable than the MS jobs I've done so many of in the past. Also nice to have the perms to plan my weeks' work around. Payroll always arrives within 10 days of the end of the pay period- How many other companies do that?? - but I also get a little spoiled when they pay early.

I've worked for several other merch companies, and of them all I have to say that CMS has the most work in my area, the most flexible schedules, and the most reliable payroll program.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  06:58:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Dar-L on a lot of respects. They certainly have always paid on time, no doubt on that. And yes they do have a lot of work. I don't agree that they have the most flexible schedules - I've worked with several other companies that pay better and are more flexible - but thats with 23 years of merchandising experience and living in a big metro area - we have several merchandising companies right here in town.
For me it was a pretty easy decision - we are moving and the areas I had work are closer to my old address then my new one. Economically it just didn't make sense for me to keep them. In addition I only shop and merchandise on the weekends, which does not always work for them.
Everyone does need to decide what works for them - I am not cancelling my account with them and when my kids are in school in the fall I certainly might pick up a thing or two - but for now I am happy to be CMS free.
edited to add - I only work on the weekends without my kids ....I shop and other stuff with them all week.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  07:04:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
PS did anyone else get an email from them saying the 1099 they sent out was incorrect?
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  08:35:39 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lisa...I got an email saying my 1099 was incorrect and that they would be mailing another one out by Friday 02/05/10.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:18:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, I got the email regarding incorrect 1099s. My son also works for this company, didn't get the email, nor has he received an 1099 yet. But he did not make the $600 mark from them. I print the page where we can find the amount of checks, then add them up myself. I don't need to use their 1099 to file my taxes since I work for several companies as an IC and I do my own taxes. I add up how much I've been paid and go from there.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  1:09:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well I have finally joined the ranks of the Joanthan, Gayle and Lisa. I was deactivated today because of being accused of something I didn't do just as Gayle R was. When I telephoned the company I was unable to speak with the project manager about the deactivation but did speak with a supervisor who informed me that one of the FD store managers made a complaint via an email stating that I was rude when visiting the location and threatened to contact the DM for the store. Since I wasn't guilty as charged I was very upset about the accusation. Of course they didn't think to contact me and inquire to see if the accusation was true or false they just deactivated my entire permanent store list (about 60 stores). As Lisa V. has posted it's a good thing that they are not depended on for your entire income and as several other posters have stated "never put all of your eggs in one basket"...so glad I have several other companies that I work for. I have worked for them for over three years, enjoyed the work, have always did a wonderful job, never complained about the pay, always took any job that they asked me to take regardless of the distance or the pay, was never late or cancelled assignments and reported work daily. Fortunately I'm friends with the DM of the store that supposingly made the complaint. If nothing else I'll get an apology from this person and a letter will be sent to Certified from FD. It will be a pleasure to tell them where to put it if they want to reactivate my status once they find out that the accusation was false. It's unfortunate that Certified doesn't think enough of their merchandisers to hear their side of a story or allow them to dispute the accusation, the just deactivate you. I can even understand them deactivating this one company or one store if the accusation was true but not all of the permanent assignments. Guess this is a blessing in disuise since I probably would have gone on putting up with lots of the problems with Certified and never quit but allows me now to take on more opportunity for another company that is more professional, has better communication with their merchandisers and better pay.
Go to Top of Page

MarkFL
Valued Contributor

FL
USA
152 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  8:22:27 PM  Visit MarkFL's Homepage  Send MarkFL an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marjorie Powell

Lisa...I got an email saying my 1099 was incorrect and that they would be mailing another one out by Friday 02/05/10.

I received this message also. First on the CMS Message Board, then again in an email this morning.
I earned well over $600 and never received the first one as well. I don't wait and handle my own tax work too.

Mark
MSPA Gold Shopper and Professional Merchandiser.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  05:37:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone that DID receive their 1099 from CMS earlier?
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  09:01:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received mine over a week ago, but it was one of those sent in error---said I earned $800 when it was more like $1100.

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:04:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got mine, but I also got 28 other ones - and I haven't started my taxes yet so I had not noticed they were off.
Oh Marjorie, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles with them. Let us know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2843 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  11:54:32 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
28 wow!

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Gayle R
Star Contributor

Eastern Shore, VA
USA
1396 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  7:25:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got my 1099 & also the e-mail about being incorrect. To me just another example of what is unprofessional about this company lately. I still have to dis-agree with you about the reliability of the pay checks. Somebody said within 10 days of the pay period end. That may be but cycle end was forever changing & that is why I say you coud not depend on the checks to be there at the same time each month. With the one other company I work for the pay is in my bank 10 days later & I know exactly when the pay period ends each & every time, it doesn't change. SO I know exactly when my check will be in the bank & I can depend on that date. As to looking in the vendor log for other companies,that is not an option here. All of my work with CMS was for DG, FD & Fl, neither of which have a vendor log. WM has one but the companies in there already have their reps in the store. I don't really miss the CMS pay that much because I was only making $125 mo with them since they cut back on the frequency of visits to the above stores.

Gayle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums