Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Feedback Requested: Certified Marketing Services (CMS) (2)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

DagnyO

San Antonio, TX
USA
41 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  07:51:48 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, add me to the list of those who've had enough.

I lost my mind for a moment and took a maps call at a CVS. I knew from the address about where it was (downtown); no problem. Wrong! I couldn't even FIND the place. I paid for parking and walked up and down the short section of street and even asked people in a few businesses where it was; no one knew. They thought I was talking about another store in a medical building 1/4 of a mile and blocks away.

I gave up, went home and tried to call first. Five messages and hours later, I said 'screw it' and did the report, putting 'unable to locate store' in there. The next day I get a nasty email about how can I not know where it is when I live in the town? Then a phone call with the same thing. I tried - TRIED - to explain that I don't go downtown on a regular basis, and even the businesses on that street had no idea where it was. Did they have the address wrong? 'NO, the address is NOT wrong!' the person on the phone practically yelled. 'If you didn't want to do the job, why did you take it??'

Just to satisfy curiosity, I went back and went in every storefront on the street...finally found the CVS. No sign outside, the windows were filthy, so I couldn't see the neon from the outside that indicated the place was there. The kicker was they had no map display!

Needless to say, I've had enough. I have never run across so unprofessional and rude a company as this one in the eight years of merchandising/vendor work. They can have it.

Dagny
Merchandising and resets in the San Antonio, TX Metro area covering Converse, Schertz, Selma, Universal City
NARMS Merchandising Proficiency Test Passed
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50247 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  10:44:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to why you did not call the CVS and get directions.
Go to Top of Page

JaniceA N TN

Greeneville, TN
USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  05:04:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say that I am impressed with the timely manner in which I was paid. I did my first job on May 17th, was told not to expect pay for 6 weeks. I logged into my bank account this morning to see what hubby's dd was and to my surprise there was my pay for the work I had done!

Janice
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2845 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  09:48:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Janice, once you begin working regularly for them, they will pay regularly, just be aware that there are not regular paydays like most companies. You will be paid eventually, usually 2x per month, just don't count on your pay being in the account on a certain day.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  2:23:31 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
In a moment of folly, I was able to get myself reactivated. I took 5 Sony weekly service jobs for one week only to have something current on my record.
They followed up the activation with a warning if they deactivate me again, it will be permanent.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2845 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  4:14:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
After playing phone tag for over a week, I gave up trying to get reactivated. My son now does my Sony visits and everytime they call to get him to do something he doesn't want to do, he tells them to call me IF I've been reactivated. They haven't contacted me to do so. I have received my last paycheck on time. At this time, I have almost too much work to even miss them.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  3:19:33 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
They dumped 20 messages on my board today (Saturday) and a phone call for a free movie. They don't get it. Most of the trash is not worth leaving the house for. The assignments are anywhere from a few miles to 30 miles from here. No bonuses today, but a few yesterday. They are not worth getting excited about either. I know what I want and what I can do. I confirmed the one assignment I was courious about was reported to me correctly.

I am happy to say the sales team had been active in my area. There are plenty of opportunities if you accept the slave wages and bad estimate of time.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  3:30:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm told the time estimates come from the client. No wonder they're low; the client would like to get by as cheaply as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  12:05:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Marla,

I'm with you...it's not worth the hassle, the slave wages, the incorrect time alloted or the rude personnel...I don't miss it either and would have to be starving to work for them again.

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  12:12:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dar-L...I have worked for many companies throughout the my years of merchandising. Most of the clients could care less how long the job takes. Normally when a company bids on a job with a client they set a fee per assignment and give their client a per job or per assignment fee. The client usually takes the company with the lowest bid. Once the per job or per assignment price is agreed upon the servicing company hires merchandisers and pays them a portion of the amount they are receiving from their client. The servicing company is going to try to get off paying the merchandisers as least as possible in order to make more money for their company..thus the low pay. I have never work with a client who sets a time limit on doing a job; however they have said that a job should only take a certain amount of time and that's all they were going to pay per location. I could be wrong and I'm sure that others on this forum could give you more information but I scheduled for one company and that's the way we arranged the time and pay.
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  12:19:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dar-L...I would think that CMS's client might be telling them for example 4 hours @ $8.00 per hour and CMS is requiring the merchandisers to do the job in 2 hours @ $8.00 per hour or per location. That way CMS is making 2 hrs. or ($16.00) profit off of every assignment....pr the client could be paying something like $20 per location, CMS pays the merchandiser $8 per location and makes $16 off the top.
Go to Top of Page

BrianInGA
Valued Contributor

Columbus, GA
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  08:06:01 AM  Send BrianInGA an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone attending this morning's Anagram training call? Quite an experience, so far...

Brian
MSPA Silver Certified - Contact me for your shopping and merchandising needs in Columbus, GA and Phenix City, AL
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  12:14:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Looks like they lost a client---it involved servicing lingerie at a department store. Oh well, that's $6 less I'll earn a month!

I had to laugh at the details of a new assignment that involves measuring displays at a WM. It stressed the need for accuracy. Okay, fair enough. But they noted that there would be a 100% quality control check. I decided not to do it. I could measure just a little differently than someone else could---so there could be a discrepancy of 1/16 inch and I could just picture not getting paid or even deactivated for it! And if all work is going to be checked, then why not just use that measurement? Why pay a merchandiser $8 to measure first??????

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  5:37:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marjorie Powell

Dar-L...I would think that CMS's client might be telling them for example 4 hours @ $8.00 per hour and CMS is requiring the merchandisers to do the job in 2 hours @ $8.00 per hour or per location. That way CMS is making 2 hrs. or ($16.00) profit off of every assignment....pr the client could be paying something like $20 per location, CMS pays the merchandiser $8 per location and makes $16 off the top.

I was responding to Jeff's comment about "bad estimate of time". I understood him to mean the jobs that are capped at a low amount of time, and take much longer. Just reporting what I was told by a CMS supervisor. Didn't mean to get you all stirred up.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  5:43:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellinbeth

....I had to laugh at the details of a new assignment that involves measuring displays at a WM. It stressed the need for accuracy. Okay, fair enough. But they noted that there would be a 100% quality control check. I decided not to do it. I could measure just a little differently than someone else could---so there could be a discrepancy of 1/16 inch and I could just picture not getting paid or even deactivated for it!....

Done several of those. Time consumptive, but not difficult. Took a tape measure in with me each time, and never even used it. Lots of counting and writing, but some of mine were in the frozen foods section. Not a bad gig for this time of year!
Go to Top of Page

RobertH
Valued Contributor

Pinson, AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  6:21:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Dagny-

This takes me back a while but at one time I worked for the company that provided map service to CVS stores in Alabama. The stores already had product in them before I was hired for service and the way that was handled led to some....interesting discussions with CVS management.

The map company provided both a display (powerwing) as well as the product. What they did was to wrap the maps in a rubber band, load the maps into the display, place the store invoce for the maps in the box that the display had come in and put the loaded display into the box as well.

At the rate of sales of some of the map titles, I had- literally- a decade or more worth of some of them. Stores that should have had maybe $300 worth of maps at cost all received AT LEAST $1200 worth at cost. The first thing that store managers wanted me to do was return 1/2 to 3/4 of the maps in their displays- which the map company would not let me do. I ended up doing a series of small returns each monthly visit so that, by the end of 3 or 4 months, I had returned about half the store's maps.

To the best of my knowledge, this map company is no longer in business. Surprising, isn't it?

Robert
Over 30 years in the Field
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  8:48:24 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
More fun and games. I took a job out of curiosity. Say Cheese. It turned out to be okay in many ways. Email message popped in as I was leaving. Schedulers failed to answer the phone and made me voicemail message offering to cover a flaked job. I wanted to do both on same trip. Oh Well... While I am doing job 1, they called back expecting me to drive home, print paperwork, do flaked job for less than DOL pays. I offered to do the job for a fair price, they declined.
I get back for the day, some scheduler expected me to drive over 25 miles RT for 2 stores total pay was below minimum wage. It was beyond his thinking why I wouldn't jump at the chance to earn a few bucks. Sorry Charlie, I have a day's reports to do and feed Mom.
I should add don't call me tomorrow. I have about a dozen things to do tomorrow and make reports for them too. (4 merchandising companies)
Remind me to leave the phone in the car next Monday. 7 SONY visits. I have a few quickies at some of the same locations from another company.
Friday is recovery day.

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie Powell
Valued Contributor

New Orleans, LA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  07:17:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
DAR-L...I wasn't get stirred up and sorry if you took it that way. I was only trying to explain how CMS screws over everyone......guess I'll keep my mouth shut next time.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  9:52:32 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Has anyone done the TOY install at WMT? I figure if THEY say "Very Difficult", it is "extremely challanging" to someone like me. I was called on it today and passed politely.
Until I've got two clues, it is on my "ten foot pole" list.

Also, has anyone done the NAV software job. I'm kind of curious how many copies are likely to be stickered?

Jeff Hix
Go to Top of Page

Ellinbeth
Valued Contributor

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  09:09:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For the DVD job---my four grocery stores are all losing the 18 power wings! This isn't a good sign, is it?

Ellinbeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums