Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Merchandising & Demo
 Feedback Requested: Certified Marketing Services (CMS) (2)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

RoseS
Contributor

IL
USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  6:24:05 PM  Visit RoseS's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I didn't phrase this right: I do complete my tasks. When I'm assigned to a job- I do it. I've never flaked on on an assignment and have completed merchandising and auditing jobs before. I just don't have the time due to college to be able to do this full-time. I like Certified Marketing Services because they occasionally have a job in my area and I can request assignments and still remain flexible. I was hoping someone else could recommend another company like this for people starting off in this business.
Go to Top of Page

DavidCar
Valued Contributor

Charlotte, North Carolina
USA
114 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  04:39:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maybe merchandising is not the right direction for you at this time. You could try mystery shopping. Check the list of companies on this forum. You can make your own schedule and companies do offer bonuses near the end of the month as deadlines near. Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

.AnnieWulf
Inactive

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  07:29:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The original poster could correct me if I'm wrong, but I took her meaning to be that she likes to do merch work for EXTRA (Bonus) money. Not for jobs that are available with bonus payments.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  2:24:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
That is what I thought she meant too.
Go to Top of Page

AhMaynard

CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  2:52:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnnieWulf

The original poster could correct me if I'm wrong, but I took her meaning to be that she likes to do merch work for EXTRA (Bonus) money. Not for jobs that are available with bonus payments.

Yes I think the same thing. She is looking for another company similar to Certified, with self-assigning that allows for flexibility so she can make some extra money. Not that she doesn't take the work as seriously as most of us do, but that she isn't looking to do merchandising as a full time source of income. So, if anyone has any suggestions for the her, I think it would be nice to add some support instead of telling her to look elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

RoseS
Contributor

IL
USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  1:48:27 PM  Visit RoseS's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by DavidCar

Maybe merchandising is not the right direction for you at this time. You could try mystery shopping. Check the list of companies on this forum. You can make your own schedule and companies do offer bonuses near the end of the month as deadlines near. Good Luck.

I do some secret shopping, too, and enjoy working those jobs as well. I've done some auditing through secret shopping companies, and I sometimes prefer it to mystery shopping since I don't have to worry about hiding my motives and remembering many details. Just to clarify, are merchandising jobs usually permanent? And is auditing a bit more flexible? Again, thanks for the feedback
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  5:06:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some merchandising is flexible or one-off stuff, some permanent. Some of the permanent jobs are more flexible than others. For instance, I am a SAHM so the balloon job through Certified was ideal for me - during the school year I would do it right after dropping my child off at school, during the summer I would do it in the evening. As long as it was done and reported by 10PM on Wednesdays, Certified didn't care if I did it at midnight on Monday. I had a good rapport with the store and did it that way for 2 years, so as long as I showed up once a week, they didn't care either. Some of their merchandising jobs are flexible as far as times go, too. So, I would still check their board frequently and more may fit in your schedule than you realize. I pick up a fair amount of their merchandising jobs depending on the time of the year. Check Trend Source, Market Force, etc. for auditing as well. If you are reliable and are comfortable with getting insurance quotes, e-mail me and I can put you in touch with a scheduler who might be able to use your services. Have you checked with iccds and Spies in Disguise who do compliance (tobacco and alcohol) jobs? They appear to be quick and easy and you might be in the right age range (I wish I knew about them in College, it would have been more lucrative and less messy than working food service). Try Maritz Research for some other jobs that might be "doable", especially if you live in a college town where you don't have to pay for or hunt for parking (because you might be able to bike there, walk there, have a parking sticker already). I avoid a lot of stuff on UofM's campus due to parking hassles so a lot of those jobs go unfilled. Sinclair is one that comes to mind that has some food jobs in College Unions that typically go begging, at least in this area. You also might want to look for companies that do phone shops - you can take copious notes to remember the details. Also, find out who shops your bank / credit union. The reports are typically easy, the shops quick, and you are getting paid for doing your banking. HTH

Karen
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2848 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  5:08:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would also like to know of another company that self-assigns like Certified. And I do merchandising as our main income, so I take these assignments seriously.

RoseS, merchandising assignment can be permanent or 1-time, so can auditing. It just depends.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

.AnnieWulf
Inactive

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  8:51:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Good luck, RoseS. You also might try Advantage. They have merch work, too.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

MariaMia
Star Contributor

Los Angeles, CA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  9:14:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you like auditing, try ACNielsen/Crossmark as they are hiring for some states. Go to ACN or Crossmark and look under auditing for the jobsite, M
Go to Top of Page

RoseS
Contributor

IL
USA
60 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  4:25:20 PM  Visit RoseS's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for explaining everything to me and offering some good companies to check out. I think what confused me is that sometimes I get assigned both auditing and merchandising tasks at the same time, and thus, I have never learned the differences between the two.

@KarenMSW- I don't know if I'm comfortable enough yet to ask for insurance quotes, but as soon as I do, I'll drop you a message. Thank you for the advice. The compliance jobs seem like a great idea! I will definitely give those a go since they seem perfect for me. I live in a good college area and a lot of shops go untouched for the very reasons you mentioned. It doesn't help when the name of the shop is different than what is on the actual building (which I have encountered believe it or not. Thank goodness I know my way around campus!)

I will also give Advantage and ACN/Crossmark thanks to MariaMia's and AnnieWulf's suggestions. Thanks a million, everyone!
Go to Top of Page

JonK
Contributor

AL
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  5:54:03 PM  Visit JonK's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yet another night where I'm threatened by Certified that they will cancel all my jobs if I don't enter my report by such and such time. An hour later I receive an email acknowledging it is currently impossible to comply with their demands because their servers have crashed.

Is this insanity?

Jon
Shopping all of Alabama, Mississippi, Florida panhandle, most of Tennessee, western Georgia and anywhere else where there's opportunity!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  6:13:17 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
This round of DG visits is not what was agreed when I took them PERM. It was 90 minutes per store and then having to attempt to enter 8 pages of inventory on report screens that kept blowing up. I did not sign up for reports that kept me up past 2 AM.
This is one PERM (2 locations) that I'm ready to give back.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  6:37:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Happens every time we do a DOL changeout. Or a FAM recall pickup. They could try to stagger the due dates, or even assignment weeks like they did with the waterfall conversion.

Don't lose sleep over it, just update your status to another day, then put the situation into the report comments. Or go to bed early and get up early to enter the reports.
I was informed that in situations like this it won't be held against us, as long as we notate in the comments.
Go to Top of Page

.AnnieWulf
Inactive

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  6:47:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What adds insult to injury is having to print all of those pages. If they'd only put the information as a header to the first page, it wouldn't be so many pages, but the same info taking up a quarter of each of the eight pages just wastes paper and ink plus makes the job more difficult by having so many to shuffle through to find the title I'm looking for. I save a bit by printing the inventory once for three stores and using a different color ink for each of the three locations. I have nine locations for DG. But I also have six grocery stores and they want all 15 done within a two day window.

A few weeks ago they didn't have the entry screens available on the first day we could do the job. Great. Means I have to do them all on one night. Then, the entry screens weren't available the second and last day we had available to do the job. So, I get up early prepared to enter them all on the following morning and THE ENTRY SCREENS STILL WEREN'T AVAILABLE! When I got home THAT night after doing other work, I had a threatening email from them about being late. They made it impossible to be on time.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  7:02:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I copied all the inv sheets to Word, then edited out all the unnecessary print. Then I copied it to Excel and made 2-column pages to print in landscape. Reducing the font size just a little got it down to one sheet of paper per store, front and back.

A lot of work, yes, but saved me 120 sheets of printout, and no telling how many paper cuts from handling 8 more pages per store.

BTW Is anyone else finding their store displays in complete shambles when they arrive?
Go to Top of Page

JonK
Contributor

AL
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  7:21:53 PM  Visit JonK's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Complete shambles is putting it nicely. The waterfalls are causing the movies to fall behind the shelving. You DID check on the floor behind your display, right? Not to mention the inserts make it harder to handle the DVDs. Most of my stores have been so messy that I take everything down, then sit on the floor and alphabetize them (again). No wonder they give us 90 minutes - I need every bit of it.

I've got 21 stores to do and in the past they've given us through Thursday to get the job done. I hope that is still the case as I don't want to lose this work but need the extra time.

On the paperwork, I printed two copies of the inventory sheet and then used a pen and ruler to draw vertical lines to create a grid like you would get if you used Excel. I used 16 pages rather than 168.

Jon
Shopping all of Alabama, Mississippi, Florida panhandle, most of Tennessee, western Georgia and anywhere else where there's opportunity!
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  7:34:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
A friend said he used storage totes to sort the movies. I'd been using 2-3 shopping carts but a couple of the long flat tote boxes like used for storing rolls of wrapping paper, work pretty well. Cost about $3 each at WMart. And yes, that's my SOP for mine: to pull all the movies down, sort and inv them, then replace them to the shelves. And 90 minutes gets it if I work non-stop.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff68005
Star Contributor

Bellevue, NE
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  7:43:05 PM  Send Jeff68005 an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My two locations had them too neat (opposite of what you guys are saying). I pulled them all out into carts, did a sorted inventory and then put them back in the jumble the original instructions last cycle said they wanted them to be.
Compared to Dar-L, I was not as aggressive. I have a new printer that prints both sides without assistance by me. I did print each inventory double sided. That was only 4 sheets of inventory per store. I stapled the sheets prior to going to the store to avoid mixing them up.

TG the DIL091310 store resets were pushed back a week to DIL092010. The changeout stock was in the store, but the job was just a quick routine visit this week.

Longer term, that is not so great as it pushes all my SONY visits for two different merchandising companies into the same week. Forunately the other company seldom permits SONY work to be done on Mondays as MF allows.

Jeff Hix
Serving metro Omaha, Nebraska including Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Ralston, Plattsmouth and Council Bluffs, Iowa.
MSPA Silver Certified - MSPA Gold Certified - NARMS Proficiency Test PASSED
Go to Top of Page

.AnnieWulf
Inactive

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2010 :  6:42:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
New SOP for the grocery store movie job. Instead of returning all deleated titles, we're only returning the titles deleted from the POG that won't fit behind those on the POG. Anyone else thinking that they might be planning to cut the frequency of these visits like they did the DG visits? Even if they don't, having more titles on the fixture than are on the POG is going to make standard visits more difficult. And if I'm reading the instructions right, photos aren't optional but required?

Annie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums