Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cary in Cincy
Star Contributor

Cincinnati, OH
USA
259 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  06:52:53 AM  Send Cary in Cincy an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been a shopper for about 7 years and have been an on & off reader of this forum. I have really enjoyed and learned from many of you. However, I have come across some confusing comments. As this site is monitored, shouldn't the shoppers be monitored as well?
I have noticed some shoppers that have posted about not getting paid from companies and possible legal action. Should the shopper not be required to come back in 3-6 months and give an update? I have noticed some of this from shoppers with only a few postings and some with several hundred postings as well. If we are allowed to "sick the dogs" on a company, shouldnt we follow it up with some sort of conclusion? I just find this a bit biased. Maybe if they are not capable of admitting they were wrong or that the company fixed things, they should be booted and the threads taken back.
...Why is it so easy to bash someone and ruin a reputation, but impossible to take a minute and update something that was sooooo important that had to be shared with the entire shopping world?

Cary
Mystery shopping and Merchandising in Ohio, KY, IN, WV, and More....
Video Certified with Own Camera

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  08:08:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Why shouldn't shoppers post that there have been issues with a certain company to get payment? It's not about smearing a name. It's important for others to know there are potential issues with a company especially if they rely on timely payments to be made. People don't come back, because in my experience for the most part those issues usually don't get resolved. If they do for me, I go back and post. A lot of people do. However, that can indeed be months later or even a year later depending on when one finally gets paid.

Don't assume just because the shopper didn't come back that the issue has been resolved. Some simply give up. There has been one company where payment occurred later and later, eventually not at all. People posted when they got paid. In turn some people thought they should continue the work as long as they get paid eventually. The company went under. Quite a few people were left not receiving hundreds to thousands of payments they were owed. If you have been reading this forum over the last seven years, you should know which company it is.

Have you in your seven years of shopping never run into a payment issue? Well, good for you. Hope you never run into one where a shopper could have given you a fair warning but hesitated because of this post. Don't like it, don't read it. Every post should be taken with a grain of salt.

BTW, the forum is monitored and there is such a thing as free speech. If a company feels slandered in any way, they can take it up with the individual shopper. However, there is no requirement for the forum owners to force shoppers to give updates, especially if the particular company doesn't get involved. The ms companies do read the boards. It would also be a lot of work for the forum moderators to check up if an individual shoppers complaint has been resolved to both parties' satisfaction.

Similarly, it is as easy for a company to post an update, if they are oh so concerned about their reputation.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  08:44:28 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree that people should follow up on posts about issues and let us know what happened. I regularly will email people asking them to do so. I also email people who posted "I have my first job with this company this week." and ask them to post actual FEEDBACK now that they have worked for the firm. I do monitor stuff, but if you see something that you think I should look at more closely, please email me.

My problem, which I talked to some of the members about at the 2009 IMSC, is that we have people who have been members here for years, and their first and only post is basically saying "XYZ is an evil company. I have been working for them for 5 years, and now I am waiting XX days for a check." These posts are usually long, and rather hostile.

OK, WHAT? You have been working for them for 5 years, and have been a member of this forum for longer than that, but never once posted any feedback about the firm. Obviously they were pretty good to work for if you have been working for them continually for 5 years. Where were all the posts in all that time saying how great they were?

I contact these posters and ask if they can post feedback about all the other companies they have worked for in the many years they have been doing this.

I get replies saying that positive feedback is useless and people should only post when there is a problem. I find that wrong. I want to know who the good companies are.

I get replies asking if I am trying to censor their negative post. No, you are perfectly welcome to state when you have a problem, especially if you post it in a professional manner stating all the facts. If your negative post is in all UPPER CASE and full of typos, name calling and profanity, I'm going to ask you to re-post it. If you post just says "This company stinks." with no support as to why you say that, I am going to ask you to re-post it and explain your opinion so that we can know why you think that. That is not censorship, that is professionalism.

What I would like to see is a rule where you can't post anything negative without posting something nice about something else. If you are going to post the XYZ didn't pay you on time, or you are mad about a deduction or bad grade, go right ahead, but first post that ABC has great schedulers who you would do anything for.

ciao,
Ray
Go to Top of Page

Cary in Cincy
Star Contributor

Cincinnati, OH
USA
259 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:21:59 AM  Send Cary in Cincy an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't totally agree with you Ray, but I see so many post that are incomplete. If you said you have not been paid in 3 months, come back and post after 6 months with a short update. After all, this forum was good enough to use and post your wrath upon a company.. Then it should be good enough to come back and give us the closure. If it is all negative, that is ok, just make it complete.

Cary
Mystery shopping and Merchandising in Ohio, KY, IN, WV, and More....
Video Certified with Own Camera
Go to Top of Page

ShopperDee
Star Contributor

USA
416 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  11:54:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree completely with Cary. It is much more helpful to see follow-up than to wonder if the poster got paid or got the issue resolved.

Dee
MSPA Gold
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  11:17:21 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Not sure this is the proper area to bring this up, but... if companies/schedulers have the right to complain,post negative comments, and problems with their employee's,plus, warnings of hiring particular shoppers/merchandisers, we should have the right to comment on them also, without jeopardizing our jobs! Since their forum requires login to enter it,the merchandiser forum and mystery shoppers forum should too. I somehow found myself in the schedulers forum (2x) by doing an unrelated search for a topic to which I wanted to start a new thread. VERY interesting reading!! Ray you might want to get the security issue checked out.
Go to Top of Page

IcyHarris

Lilburn, GA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  08:38:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for every shopper, but here are some reasons I can think of:

1. Because of finances, they don't have internet access anymore nor do they have easy access to alternate internet access.
2. They forget
3. They're a member of so many forums that it's hard to keep track of them all
4. The most sobering is one I've heard on many message boards is that, due to natural disasters in their area, they either don't have internet access or their lives have been so disrupted that updating a message board isn't a top priority.

What I did in that situation is private message a couple of members and they answered the question, then I encouraged them to post the update on the thread.

Imogene Harris

Follow me on Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, and Twitter (icyharris)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums