Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MegRentrak
Valued Contributor

Portland, OR
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  06:17:14 AM  Visit MegRentrak's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
In a few weeks I will be going on vacation with my 5 and 7-year-old boys and I am nervous about keeping them busy and relatively quiet on the airplane. We will have a three hour flight, three hour layover, and then a four hour flight. Does any one have any tips? I've taken road trips before, but space is limited on this trip.

Meg Rodriguez
Rentrak Corporation
mco@rentrak.com
ms.rentrak.com

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:05:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When my daughter was three years old we took a car trip from IL to TN to pick up a college friend, continued to St. Thomas Island to visit another, and then down to Orlando to go to Universal for a week--then back to TN to drop of my friend and up to IL. (That would have been 2004)

At that time there was a wonderful thread that told about a company that for $15 (probably more now) would take info about the child (gender, age, interests) and put together a box of goodies to take on the trip. The idea was that the box is filled with things the child has never seen before, so the child does not get bored with each item as quickly as with the familiar.

Whether you let someone else do the shopping or you choose to go to the local dollar store or Goodwill, you can still have the equivalent of a diaper bag or carry-on filled with stuff new to the children. Tell them they get to choose one item from the bag at pre-determined points in the trip--or that you will pull something out (so you don't have them rummaging through the bag).

Or, divide into smaller bags and allow each child to be in charge of their own bag. If you wrap each item in newsprint or colored paper, they get the fun of unwrapping--and you get to figure out how best to dispose of the mess.

I recommend games they can play together that don't have lots of pieces to lose and don't require a steady surface. Maybe Mad-libs, Pencil games like Tic-Tac-Toe, thinking puzzles or brain teasers, Trivia games, and Cat's Cradle instructions with string.

Good luck--with the kids and the sanity-control!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:36:54 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Give each kid a small backpack and let them pack it and carry it. Make it light enough that they can carry it themselves... let them fill it with things they like to do. Some ideas:
-- a book or two (even a comic book or magazine)
-- coloring books and/or drawing paper, along with some new crayons or colored pencils
-- snacks things like granola bars or cookies - NOT M&Ms or anything spill-able that will spill all over the airplane floor

Just off the top of my head... I'm sure others will have great ideas too.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  5:40:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you pack pencils, pack a small sharpener that stays shut so the shavings don't easily spill.

A cup with a lid for filling with water.

My 9-year-old suggests action figures to act out accompanying comic books, doodle pad (with the magnetic surface so there is no paper--just a fun way to draw/erase/draw...), and sticker puzzle or sticker books.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MegRentrak
Valued Contributor

Portland, OR
USA
105 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  09:53:29 AM  Visit MegRentrak's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
As it turns out all my worry was for nothing. The younger one slept most of the time and the older one read his new book most of the time. They never cease to surprise me. Thank you all for the great ideas.

Meg Rodriguez
Rentrak Corporation
mco@rentrak.com
ms.rentrak.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:

If your email address changes,
please be sure to update your profile.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums