Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Kel B.
Contributor

CA
USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  09:13:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This company paid on time and paid fairly well. I was really happy with the company for a couple of years although you can end up with a LOT of brochures and supplies at your house.

Happy until they went to the territory system. After two years of faithful, on time, reliable work I went from making several hundred dollars a month with assignments each week, to NO assignments. I had 3 regular big stores I did weekly, with multiple small assignments each month. When I asked about it after a couple of weeks (I figured it was a lull between projects which happens at times and I was busy those two weeks..nice break I thought), I was told that corporate decided to assign all stores to the Best Buy rep, which I wasn't, Best Buy being I believe their preferred client. No warning, no.."hey, you're gonna be out several hundred dollars this month", NO apology from my manager for not having the courtesy to let me know. I never had complaints about my work, it was just "corporate decision" and territories. She said I would get small assignments as they come up. I quit.

I got a call for emergency work from the main boss two weeks later and to her credit she profusely apologized about not being warned, plus she also took care of two jobs I had not been paid for and wasn't receiving answers about. She said she would talk to the RMP.

The RMP is still there, I believe promoted now. This doesn't reflect on the entire company except that it was a lousy way to treat people that had done good, consistent work for a couple of years. Not being informed of the change was probably just my personal manager.

Overall I would recommend the company, I was happy with them because pay was like clockwork, direct pay (HATED that card)every two weeks but just be aware of the above.
(no I won't mention names)

(I don't know how in a large rural area like ours, one rep covers it all. That's a lot of driving)

Kel
Go to Top of Page

SuzieAv

New York, NY
USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  12:38:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hello

Similar things happened to me when a new person was put in charge and I went from being a loyal worker to being unemployed! This is not the way to treat workers.

Suzie
Go to Top of Page

Mary A.
Contributor

Rock Falls, Illinois
USA
70 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  4:26:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love working for Premium Retail. The work comes clockwork and so does the pay!!! I like the ADP card also. I used to buy groceries and gas just like a debit card. If you want cah off it just go to Walmart and get cash ...FREE!

SO FAR SO GOOD HERE..!

Mary A.
Shopping northwest Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  5:41:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've been with them 5 years. Have never gotten a raise. A couple of years ago they redid my area and I lost 15 stores to the gal that did Best buy. But they would give me one time jobs that were in her area. In the long run it worked out great as my area has had lots of new store openings the past year, with several more opening in the next few months that Premium services, so I got lots of work now.
I have been happy working for them. When they redid my area my manager called me a month in advance and let me know what was going to happen, so I was prepared for it. (I got a job with another company to add hours lost from Premium)

Sue
Go to Top of Page

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  6:47:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love working for Premium and have been with them for about 1 year. I plan to continue my work for them for quite some time!
Go to Top of Page

Patti Ann

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  7:59:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have worked with Premium for probably 3 years now and the company is great to work for. The pay is on time, enjoy the way I am being paid, work is regular, which is good considering I live in a small area. I think I am on my third manager and I hope she stays because she is real easy to work with.
Go to Top of Page

Helene
Contributor

PA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  06:00:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did anybody read the new TRU backroom policy letter? It will be impossible for me to get an employee to go back with me everytime I need to. The manager in my store is a mightmare to work with for both me and her employees. I cringe now when I have to go in there and this will only make things worse.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  07:20:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What is TRU backroom policy letter and where did you get it? I never heard of it.
Go to Top of Page

Helene
Contributor

PA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  09:57:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heather
Do you work at TRU for Premium? Is so it should be on your job page.
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  12:52:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, I saw the new policy. I'm glad that I have made good friends with the backroom manager!! Here's what I will attempt: If I have several assignments at TRU that day, I'll let the BR Manager know of my need to go to the backroom, and ask him to let me know when it will be a good time. Then I'll go do whatever other stuff I need to do that doesn't require going to the backroom. Then IF AND WHEN he tells me it's a good time, I'll go back and do what I need to do. IF....the backroom manager is off that day, I'll attempt the same with another manager. IF.........I can't get to the back room after making several attempts, I will just report it as such, and let the client deal with it...I'll ALSO write on that green (client specific) time sheet if I was ever unable to get to the back room due to no one available to go back there with me "per TRU backroom policy". The client can take it from there.....It's a hassle, yes, but I can understand their need to have some sort of supervision over vendors, but if I can't get back there, I'm not going to lose sleep over it!! The way I look at it, if enough vendors can't do their job because of this, TRU will take care of it down the road apiece!! Just my

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

HeatherShops
Star Contributor

Lake Placid, NY
USA
277 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  12:57:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ooooh I got it, lol! No I do not have that account to service.
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  6:33:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heres some info. for those that have the mag. job at sams.
the store gets an average of 10 boxes a week, each box weighs 40-47 pounds. The stores usually have the boxes sitting on a pallet, you have to put them in a cart or on a flatbed yourself to take out to floor. returns average 200-500 covers a week. The job takes the allotated time + to do. Most stores want you to throw the mags. in the trash compactor after removing covers. Be ready not to have a pog or a return form inj the shipment. When calling for them to fax them to the store be prepared to be put on hold and forgot about.

The easiest way is rip covers off and place in piles by price point as you go along, then when done, count each price point to put on return form.Find a spot in stockroom, out of the way and find something that has a flat surface to place covers on.
The first couple of times you do the job your arms and hands are going to be very tired from the repetive motion of rippping,tossing, oh, yeah and a broken back from the lifting of boxes that tear easily,make sure to have a box cutter to cut the straps off of boxes and bundles.Make sure you have an empty cart to put the returns in to take to stockroom.
I did this job for another company, and hated it. Have fun.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

KimHarris
Valued Contributor

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  7:14:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hated it also.....glad driveline "lost" the contract.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  3:30:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue,
Are you saying that EACH & EVERY WEEK the store gets an average of 10 boxes of magazines??? How long are you there???

I ask because I do magazine returns for another company in a crafts store, and I'm there an average of 1.5 - 2 hours. But that's putting out only 2-3 boxes of new magazines and ripping off about 60-85 covers. This company provides a postage-paid security-type large envelope to send the covers back in and also sends all the necessary paperwork in one of the boxes of new magazines.

The procedure you describe sounds somewhat different. I'm curious, because I also work for Premium, and they keep me busy on average of 15-30 hours per week, depending which week of the month it is. If Premium got this job, I don't know if I'd have the time to do this, not with my other work from other companies, as well as my work for Premium!!

So I'm curious what the average time is that you are at Sam's doing this!! Thanks in advance!!

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  6:12:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Premuim is giving 2 hours, driveline gave 2 hours. On average it took me 3 hours. They give you a envelope for return by UPS. A few times when I only had 5-6 boxes and about 100 returns I got done in 2 hours time.Most of the time I 10 -13 boxes to put out.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  8:40:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, so far I haven't heard anything about magazines at Sam's in my neck of the woods (SC)....could be that another rep in my area has it........which is FINE with me!! I'm busy enough now!!

How can Premium give only 2 hours if you have 10 boxes of new mags plus several hundred magazine covers to tear off??? This other company that I work for is SO GOOD about letting us take as much time as needed to do this right!! Of course, while at the hobby & craft store, I also have to tally up the cost & retail, and put the correct # of magazine covers alongside the "issue" of that magazine on the return form. But we are allocated 1.5 hours, and IF it takes longer, because of a larger return or a large number of boxes of new mags to put out, my DM for this company told me to just take the time I need!!

Now I will say that this other company got this magazine client from Archway, and that before I came on, the hobby & craft store said they had 8 DIFFERENT REPS over a 12 month period!!! So maybe there was a problem with how Archway worked their reps on this job, I don't know. I don't know how long Archway gave their reps to do this job, but the company I work for is real good about having us take the time we need to do it right!! I know the first time I did the job, it took me 2.5 hours, and that was fine with them!! I've done it 5 times now (it's an every other week job), and I can average it between 1.5 and 1.75 hours so far. I like it!! The craft store personnel are real nice, too!

I'd hate to think of how C-R-A-Z-Y it would be to have to do this at Sam's!!! My hats off to those of you who are doing so!!

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

Maralyn
Star Contributor

USA
626 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  03:58:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Beverly, Do you work for Select Media?

What the world needs: more open minds and fewer open mouths.
Geo. E. Bergman
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:44:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maralyn,
No, I work for several different merchandising companies...the one that I work for that does the magazines is Time Media Direct....they won the job with Select Media. Select Media sends the mags to this hobby & crafts store, and then Time Media Direct hired me to do the magazine job in this store for Select Media (don't want to give the name...not sure if it's any sort of violation, but I'm sure you can figure it out if you read the posts here).

I know that the mags done in the Sam's is with another Company that I also work for....but it seems that the CLIENT for this other company doesn't sound like it's Select Media, because Select Media sends all the necessary paperwork in the box with the new mags. From what I read here, the Client that sends mags to Sam's doesn't always provide the merch co. or its reps with the paperwork, so that's why I don't think it's Select Media.......could be wrong, tho.

Anyway, I enjoy my DM with Time Media Direct, and she has told me that Select Media wants this done RIGHT, which may be why they allow us extra time than what Archway may have allowed. The store seems VERY PLEASED with my work, so I'll stay with them for as long as I can, that's for sure!!!

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

JanieWilson
Contributor

atlanta, georgia
USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  10:52:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
HDA and Chas Levy do Magazines in some stores in my area. Chas did the Costco and HDA had work in Lowes and A Hobby Stores(I think it was Michaels) but not sure. HDA worked other stores also but my area is small so so Lowes and the Hobby store was all they had. Its been a while.
Go to Top of Page

Sue AC
Valued Contributor

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  2:04:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sam's is select media also. There have been times when the store gets the return envelope, invoice, but they do not get the pog or the return form,which is usually attached to the bottom on invoice.So have to call and then wait for them to fax the stuff to store.

Sue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums