Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  4:20:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, Triple coupons? Where? You lucky thing! I'm near New Orleans and have not found any store that even doubles except Fred's (like a Dollar General-type store) which is not near me and only doubles on Saturday. I'm very curious where you can triple. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
460 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  10:55:35 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kroger and Albertsons used to triple up to 39 cents and double up to 50 cents. But recently Kroger has quietly done away with the doubling and tripling. Don't know about Albertsons since all in my area have closed.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  04:31:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My Albertson's closed too but there are still some in Baton Rouge. They don't double or triple, though. No Krogers around here. Thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  05:48:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some stores, among them Kroger/Albertsons/Jewel, have announced they will make changes to their coupon policy because of this. One of the items listed was no more combining manufacturer and store coupons as well as strictly enforcing coupon limits.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

RepSusan
Valued Contributor

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  2:07:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's too bad to hear about the changes in policy. I guess all good things come to an end. I have noticed a lot of young people in stores carrying and sorting through their coupons. It's nice to see them learn some things, especially the value of a dollar.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  5:30:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LAlo, the Brookshires Grocery Stores in Shreveport double and triple manufacturers coupons.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  5:02:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks. You're lucky! Nothing here.
Go to Top of Page

AhMaynard

CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  9:00:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yeah it only takes a few to ruin for the rest of us honest folks. These extreme coupon folks have ruined their own lifestyles by broadcasting their spoils on national tv. We can all save by buying what we actually need instead of hording things we might never use, like diapers for families with no babies.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  09:35:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have also watched Extreme Couponing and there are a few things that they fail to account for. When showing how much the person "Saved" they fail to include the amount that was spent on coupon clipping services or gas spent in rounding up the coupons from dumpsters and other sources. Ink and paper for those printable coupons must be costly, too. They also count rewards certificates (Rite Aid's +Up, CVS Extra Bucks, etc.) To me, that is not saving. I would have to dole out the money, say $3, to get that coupon for $3 on my next purchase. So the three dollars is really my own money that I PAID for but now I am limited to spending it in that specific store.

In one episode a couponer said that she has the newspaper delivery person leave all the extra newspapers at her door. I called my local newspaper to check on the legality of that. The manager averred that it is absolutely not legal and the portions of the Sunday paper that contain coupons (here, anyway) are carefully guarded and kept under lock and key. They are only given to people who subscribe to the paper and only one set per subscription. To do otherwise, he explained, would also be coupon fraud because the newspaper would not be handling the coupons in the manner in which they are contracted to do so.

About the ones that donate all the extra stuff to charity? Most manufacturing companies already make their charitable donations for which they can get tax breaks. It is all calculated into their bookkeeping. For us to obtain their products for free, then give them away is robbing them of their tax breaks and eventually it will raise the price of the products. Now, if I BUY stuff and choose to donate it, fine. That is different.

And all the high-fiving, applause and gloating when the final total is announced by the cashier? That's just rude! I'm embarrasssed to be human! Don't get me wrong, I love to save and free is the most delicious flavor there is but discretion is also a good thing IMO.

Thanks for letting me vent. It's been on my mind a while.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  09:41:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the lady who hoards all the free diapers in her basement and does not even have children! So one day she might have a baby, then what? Use those moldy diapers on the baby? Basements are damp. Diapers absorb moisture. What is she thinking? Yuk!
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  11:42:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I found a store that doubles! Cannata's in Houma and Morgan City, LA. They'll double up to 60c but only once per coupon/item and no separate transactions. Hey' it's something, anyway. And they have a website where I can check the weekly specials when I'm heading to that area. Yay!
Go to Top of Page

Maria84
Apprentice

Pacheco, CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  4:25:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This has happened because "extreme couponers" have ruined it for the rest of us. I have gotten 90% savings, and I dont broadcast it. Its crazy and now the stores know so now they will eliminate it.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  04:41:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is a new snag. Most of the stores in my area now interpret the "Limit one per purchase," written on the coupons, to mean, "Only one coupon can be used during one transaction no matter how many of the stated products you buy." Store managers are quite adamant that that is the true meaning of the phrase. However, in the latest P&G insert, most of the coupons say "Limit one per purchase" then follow up with, "Limit four coupons per transaction." But there is absolutely no way of making store personnel see the difference. And they're willing to fight about it! I just say, "forget it" and have them take of the items they won't accept coupons for. Too frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  10:40:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LAlao,
'One per purchase', means one coupon per item bought. Like you said, if the coupon states limit '4 per transaction', that means only 4 'like' coupons per that particular transaction. Most companies have a copy of their coupon policy online. Print a copy of it and bring it with you when you shop. Ask for a manager when a clerk fights you on a coupon. If the manager fights you, email the company to let them know the situation, so they know if their manager needs training. Manufacturer coupons are paid to the store by the manufacturer and are the equivalent of cash. There is no need to feel like you are in the wrong, as long as you are using the coupon correctly!

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page

Vickie M
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
391 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  10:52:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see that Extreme Couponing was back on TV last week. I've been using coupons for years and even belong to a coupon club and I have NEVER had a 600.00 total go down to 1.00 or even a normal 150.00 total less than 110 or 120 (and thats from using coupons the legit way)

I have read several articles in the Tampa Tribune's money/buisness section regarding this show. One said that the teenage boy last season who got 400.00 worth of toilet paper for free had actually used fraudulent internet coupons and that his mother had gone back to the store and paid that 400.00 out of pocket but I don't see that being shown on TV.

Also the last article I read said that one of the women in the very first show admitted that she had used coupons for items that the coupons wasn't for (something like the coupon was for Coke Zero and she bought other Coke items, not the Zero). She did say that she was sorry for doing that and that if she could she would redo her segment of the show.

Something they also wrote about which I found interesting was that the stores want all that advertisment so they have HELPED some of these people by taking the coupons when they know they are for free products but the coupons are really fraudulent.

I watched really close this time saw some coupons ringing up amounts like 8.50 - sorry but I've never see a coupon for that amount unless it was an internet coupon and it was fraudulent.

Is anyone else going to watch this season?

Vickie M
GOLD Certified-x3woio
Shopping Tampa & Brandon Florida
Go to Top of Page

Michael S.

Winter Park, FL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  2:33:03 PM  Visit Michael S.'s Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
well it was only a matter of time they were going to have the change the rules because people got greedy with it and it became extreme....

-M

Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  08:18:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw that it was on and was surprised--but I have no interest in watching.

I've seen coupons for as much as $20 off on items like a Sonic toothbrush that costs over $75 and Crest whitening kits that are almost free with the coupon, but you have to buy the refills later at full price.

I've had clerks at the local drugstores grab their flyers and cut out coupons for me for items I am purchasing and I had no idea there was a coupon. This was Walgreens and CVS. And when I placed an order from Office Depot the other day I was going to use a $25 coupon and the person on the other end of the phone volunteered to use the code for a $60 coupon. I certainly didn't argue. I'm all for minimizing cost, whether it is for my personal items or my business. But I can't imagine risking arrest by manufacturing my own coupons or using any that I suspect are fraudulent.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

EliseWeav
Star Contributor

Boston, MA
USA
528 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  6:23:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Couponers/Volitioners,
I haven't visited this forum in quite awhile. I was on here looking for some other information and stumbled upon this thread again.
I just wanted to say that I am still 'extreme' couponing. I'm not like the people in the show with my house filled to the brim with items, but I do keep a small stockpile of things we use in the garage because it is cost effective. I swore I would never have a stockpile, but in order to coupon effectively, you must. I have been able to pay off a large chunk of our debt since I started couponing in Jan. 2011.
If anyone has questions, please feel free to send me a message. I still reccomend couponmom.com to start. Another great forum is howtoshopforfree.net and I also recently started visiting weusecoupons.com . The Krazy Coupon Lady is another great site to read to get started.

Happy couponing!

Elise

Elise
Boston area, especially North Shore. Silver certified and shopping since 2004.
Go to Top of Page

BCheatam
Star Contributor

IN
USA
290 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  06:57:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Have you watched this show lately? I watched a few shows this past week and they are trying to make couponing look not so greedy. One family bought a lot of snacks for a sports team. One lady bought necessary food for an extended family-she got 290 boxes of Tictacs for her Mom. Everyone needs lots of them, right? (Sarcasm) Plus, where on earth do you get that many coupons!!! One lady was working with a trainer to help her lose weight-she only bought healthy things. She wanted sweets so he made her run around one aisle with a full grocery carts to punish her. On another show, a lady got all organic foods for a non-profit group. She had hundreds of coupons-from where?? Wow! On one show a person made, I think, 83 separate transactions, would your store let you do that? I notice they prominently show the name of the store, probably for free advertising.

Silver Certified Mystery Shopper & Auditor in Central and Southern Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

Vickie M
Star Contributor

Tampa, FL
USA
391 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  8:40:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw the new show this past week and one woman had "horded" about a billion flea collars and they DON'T EVEN HAVE A DOG!!! She does it to make her stockpile "look a certain way". I think she bought a bunch of Ramen noodles because she wanted certain colors in her stockpile. Now if ANYONE need to donate to charity it would be her.

Vickie M
GOLD Certified-x3woio
Shopping Tampa & Brandon Florida
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums