Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1877 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2012 :  1:40:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When she donates to charity, she is only able to take off the amount she actually spent, not the value of the item. But I think grabbing that many flea collars to stockpile when you don't have a dog is just greed. "Because I can."

Irresponsible and fraudulent coupon use costs everyone else. A lot of what is shown on that show skirts the law. That's why there is so much that is non-specific.

Where to get coupons? You can use a coupon-clipping service, dumpster dive, subscribe to several different papers, etc. One thing you cannot do, by law, is get them from a newspaper company.

Nobody doubles around here, so we miss the "extreme" sales. Couponing is still worthwhile. But it should be PART of your strategy, not the whole of it.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  3:04:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Lately, the Houston Chronicle newspaper has been advertising Extreme Couponing Workshops at www.chron.com/coupon101. This takes you to a website for Texas Smart Buys. I don't know if these workshops are in Texas only or what and I don't have any intention of going to one.

I am curious why the Houston Chronicle would get involved in something like this. I don't know why they would promote extreme couponing.

In some stores around here I have noticed signs limiting the number of purchases of the same thing that can be made with a coupon. For instance, you can buy 5 of the same toothbrushes using coupons but after that you must pay full price. So the stores seem to be trying to work a little against the extreme couponing (where someone goes in and gets 100 toothbrushes they will probably never use).

I have head that extreme couponing takes a lot of time so the savings is not as great as it may sound.

Anybody have any new comments to make about extreme couponing?

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  06:40:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My guess is that the newspaper is being paid for the ads and at this point in time I doubt any paper newspapers are in a position to turn down ad money. With the new electronic world, physical papers are not being purchased as much as they used to be and I expect they are struggling.

I was surprised to discover that our local paper has begun charging for human interest stories. I doubt they are all paid, but if you call and want to run a story about an upcoming event they used to send out a reporter to get the facts and put a story in the Sunday Lifestyle section. Now they send a reporter and a bill for the same service.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  09:44:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, the only "ad" is just a sticker on the front page which gives a Chronicle website. But you are right, they are probably desperate for money.

What is strange about a newspaper being involved is what Julie said that by law you cannot get the coupons from a newspaper company. And that big red sticker advertising the workshops makes it appear there is some connection.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
460 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  06:20:13 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Extreme couponers have ruined it for all the other shoppers just trying to save a little money on their grocery shopping.

I was in Kroger over the weekend picking up a few things. Nearly everything I bought had a coupon. There were no multiples. The cashier started scanning the coupons and after the first 6 coupons, the register would not except any more. All the coupons were legit. Then she remembered the new store policy. Only SIX Manufacturers coupons are to be accepted per shopping order. She said it was to combat the extreme coupon people that clear the shelves. Since there was no line, she was nice to let me split the order so I could use the rest of the coupons. This policy may be for only the DFW stores as it's not reflected on the Kroger website.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1877 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  11:06:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Shelf-clearing is just rude. I only do it after 9pm because that's when the stockers begin at my local Kroger.

This week, I have been going there and picking up .67 TreeTop applesauce pouches (they're $1.99 marked to $1.67 and on the 5 for 5 sale). These are GREAT for long mystery shopping drives. I was aghast at how much I'd been spending on ff while out shopping. Now I keep the applesauce and some nuts in the car.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums