Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  4:10:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Today I was taken by surprise. I was at my booth at the market starting to pack up. A young girl dressed quite nicely came up to me. I could not make out her nationality. She held out a note reading I'm homeless and bunch of stuff. I scanned over it. She never said a word. She used her big sad eyes. She really had it down. She stood in front of my booth for at least 3 minutes. I finally said I'm a vender I sell things. She finally took her big sad eyes out of there. I'm getting to the point that I think these folks are running a scam. She was dressed nice and she had the amounts I could give her on the card if I so chose. $5-$10-$25.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  12:54:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a "first" today. Apparently some of the panhandlers are trying to be stand-up comedians.

One had a sign that on one side said, "33 cents or skate board" and the other side said, "77 cents or a motorcycle (Harley Davidson) any color." He kept flipping the sign over and over. Another man had a sign that said, "Ho, Ho, Ho. Merry Christmas. Anything helps."

I did not see that either of them had an increase in donations. This really turned me off (even though I don't give to them anyway) and probably offended others.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  06:24:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our local paper just printed an article regarding panhandlers in our town. The police stated to be aware that most of these people are NOT poor. It went on to say most travel hundreds of miles to our town because they have heard our town is very generous and giving. Residents are being warned not to hand out money to these people, but instead, hand them a granola bar and a business card for one of the local food share organizations to receive help. The PD have stopped to question these people, and have found many have travelled in groups from as close as hundreds of miles, while others travel in groups as far away as California. A typical day of panhandling here gives each person on average of $400. Now, thats pretty darn good pay for one day to hold a darn sign! How many of us make that kind of money in one day? Another suggestion by the PD to do, is when approached asking for money for food, offer to take them for a meal, then see how fast they turn you down and walk away. That will tell you the story of their need. There has been panhandlers at every stop sign located near our busiest mall, some located even in the medians so they can ask every vehicle while waiting for the light to change. Since reading the article my feelings of generosity have flown out the window. No one likes feeling theyre being taken advantage of.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  06:55:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I will see several different people, different days, at the same spot, carrying the same identical sign. I found out why one day when I saw one of them take a break. They slipped their sign behind a street sign so that they could come back and get it. Anybody else could come and get the sign also. There might be several different signs and the person can choose which one they want to work with.

Also, many times they work in teams. There will be one person on each corner in an intersection. Sometimes I catch them waving to one another and making signs with their hands like they are conveying a message (like maybe how much money they have collected, or when to take a break, etc).

There is one street corner where a man and woman work as a team together. The man is able-bodied but the woman is quite crippled. Many times she will be sitting on the curb and he is holding the sign. When she does get up and walk, it is pitiful to watch. They have been working this corner for years so it is not a case of trying to get money to move on to another city. This is a business to them, sort of a permanent part-time job on the same street corner. It is in front of a hospital. I have often thought that maybe they think they will get more sympathy for the crippled woman at a medical facility.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  1:40:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think that they realize that with the transient nature of the people being treated that they are passed by a large number of folk who don't realize they are permanent workers at the corner. How many folk come to visit a friend or relative in a hospital for an extended period of time versus those who have someone to visit only a few times a year? Sounds like they found a great spot to meet their needs.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  2:15:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, that's a good point.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  04:40:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In my area there are one or two persons at every median just about. You cannot pull up to any traffic light with an island and find it unoccupied. One very busy area in a town about 10 minutes away has a large and long grassy median. This is where people raise money for charites and panhandling goes on as well. One other sad fact is dozens apon dozens of day workers mill around all the businesses in this town waiting for someone to hire them for construction labor etc etc. It's overwhelming to me.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  5:36:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I mentioned before how each panhandler tries to pull on your heartstrings in different ways. Some are in wheelchairs, or on crutches, or carry signs that they are veterans, etc.

I saw a "first" the other day. A young man walking with the sign and his female companion sitting on the ground with her legs straight out and a crutch lying on the ground next to her.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  05:48:02 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our local paper had an article about a family that went the extra mile. They made up gift bags into which they placed a bottled water, an instant meal, snack bars, container of snack size fruit, plus, a list of organizations that offer shelter, food, and clothing help. The Mother and grown daughter team carry these gift bags with in their vehicles to hand out instead of money.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Kapelli
Star Contributor

Kissimmee, FL
USA
281 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  12:53:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JudyK

Another suggestion by the PD to do, is when approached asking for money for food, offer to take them for a meal, then see how fast they turn you down and walk away. That will tell you the story of their need.

That's exactly how I handled it, Judy, during the admittedly few times that I felt sympathetic enough to not simply ignore the situation. Your PD is absolutely correct; none of the panhandlers has EVER accepted my offer of a meal. I guess theirs is a "cash only" rip-off.

Bill Kapelli
MSPA Gold Certified
Kissimmee [Metro Orlando], FL
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  12:13:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a totally new sign today (being held by a panhandler). It simply had written on it, "25 cents."

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  3:12:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a clean-cut young man the other day holding a sign that said, "Skilled Painter needs work." I hope he was able to find a job. I want to think it was for real ... that he really wanted work.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  04:43:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Its a little bit off topic but how many folks who live in urbin areas have tons of day workers hanging out waiting to do odd jobs ect. When I drive to the nearby town of Falls Church there are just dozens of these guys milling around.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  06:37:11 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since the holidays are over now, we arent seeing any panhandlers in the area. As for day job searchers, there has been an increase of postings in Craigslist by those wanting any kind of work available. The number of homeless is growing and forecasts are another 5% will be added to the totals. SAD.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:54:53 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JuanitaJ

I saw a totally new sign today (being held by a panhandler). It simply had written on it, "25 cents."

I saw the same guy today. He was wearing basketball shorts and no shirt. The man is well built (with hair on his chest) and actually handsome. He has a neatly trimmed van dyke. He was still carrying the 25 cent sign.

He had an assistant today. There was a man sitting in a black office chair still covered in plastic as though it was on a truck for delivery and just fell off. The chair was on rollers. The guy was rolling himself up and down the sidewalk and turning himself in circles, all the while smoking a cigarette. He had a big smile and was waving at cars. He had on all his clothes but appeared to be quite healthy muscle-wise and also had a neatly trimmed beard.

What next? This was all taking place at the intersection of FM 1960 and Interstate 45 which is a very busy corner.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  02:03:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Juanita interesting, I like the guy in the office chair spinning around. I was doing a job in Chinatown which is panhandlers to the max. A women looking quite healthy and young with two tots was seated holding a sign. Most of these locate theirselves near the metro for maximum traffic flow. That was the first time I have seen a lady with children in tow. I'm not a great judge but the stroller she had was not a cheap one. If the right ad ajency came along instead of begging these folks could give out samples etc because they already are in prime locations.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  09:42:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a new one yesterday. It was a young woman carrying a sign that said, "STARVING ARTIST." Boy, wouldn't that make you want to rip some money out and donate.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  11:24:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Quote from Sandra Wright: "A women looking quite healthy and young with two tots"

I have seen this a couple of times. Once a woman was standing at a busy intersection with a young child (maybe 9 months) on a blanket next to her. The child was seated but looked old enough to walk. It made me nervous to think that this women could walk out to a car to get a donation and the child could slip into traffic very easily. I felt it was an accident waiting to happen and I would think there would be a law against doing something like this.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  06:23:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In today's Houston Chronicle, Page A2: "Panhandler gets $2, driver gets $344 ticket."

In Toledo, Ohio a driver stopped to give a couple of dollars to a panhandler in a wheelchair at a busy freeway interchange and was given a $344 littering ticket by police after the cash fell on the ground. It said it is "illegal to solicit or give money at the side of a roadway."

He "could have been ticketed for donating to a panhandler, which carries a smaller fine of about about $160, but instead was cited for littering from a vehicle."

The article also said that the man in the wheelchair was not cited for panhandling, but he has been many times in the past at the same spot and along other roadways.

The driver, who is now fighting the ticket, said he can't believe that his attempt to help someone in need might cost him a lot more.

It is possible other states have similar laws so I guess it would be wise to check out the law before giving a panhandler some money.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  11:03:21 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw a first today, a woman about 40 holding a sign that said, "25 cents or best offer." I have seen people with signs that just show 25 cents or 30 cents, and maybe say anything helps, but never the "best offer" part.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums