Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Feedback Requested: Corporate Research International (CoRI) (3)
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 35

EmilyPWa
Valued Contributor

Willard, UT
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  2:03:34 PM  Send EmilyPWa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
So if there was a problem with the bank for the weekend when will we be getting our money. That is my question. I also agree about the fact that the deposit should have gone through Thursday night to Friday the 23rd none of those days were holidays. Why don't I have my $ today the 27th? It was supposedly processed on Monday the 19th for payment by the 23rd. Luckily I was not totally dependent on it arriving by Friday but I can see how some shoppers might have been. If a company always pays by a certain date and there has not been a problem in the past you are fairly comfortable depending on the $ arriving on time. I just want an idea of when it will be coming!!!

Emily
Now shopping in the Ogden UT area
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

MsKim
Star Contributor

Bryan, Texas
USA
419 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  2:10:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Larry, you are right but,

As for depending on this company for money...well that is the only reason I am working. I would love to not have to work 2 jobs but I do.

As for having a reserve, well most of the country has had to resort to payday to payday. I have always been paid on time with this company, If it would of happened around a time that was NOT a holiday, then maybe it would not of been so crucial, but it was.

Ms Kim
Go to Top of Page

MsKim
Star Contributor

Bryan, Texas
USA
419 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  2:15:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone has been able to speak with anyone at cori about this.

Ms Kim
Go to Top of Page

SusanToonces
Valued Contributor

Queens, NY
USA
167 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  2:40:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They used to do one special buffet restaurant shop that was so good. I think the restaurant went out of business though.

but do they have any other restaurants?

Susan
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  2:51:06 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsKim

As for depending on this company for money...well that is the only reason I am working.

I completely understand this. This is why I am turned off by IC work.

I have never not been paid on time as an employee (However, I know others who have when working for small businesses like landscaping, construction, restaurants, salons, and more - I have had so many friends that worked for small mom & pop business get screwed on paychecks).

Today, job security is unstable, but IC work/running your own businesses is even more unstable since there are no wages involved, only "payments" for services/products rendered There is very little recourse when said payments are not made and it is not cost-effective to pursue with collections or lawsuits unless you are owed thousands by one party alone.

The economy is down (or so they say) and companies find every reason they can to put off paying their accounts payable-blaming their non-payment on other companies that are not paying them or on the economy in general.

Unfortunately MSCs only offer work as IC. I do some MS work for CoRI and some other companies, but I mainly do merchandising and I am shying away from doing IC work in merchandising to the point where I am now strictly applying only to merch companies that hire on as an employee (but they are few and far between so I think my career as a merchandiser will prove to be short lived, unfortunately). I am not that much of a risk-taker anymore. I have owned small businesses in the past and I'm not into it anymore. Being an IC is barely any different than being a small business owner.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  4:57:33 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I believe the main point of this entire discussion is that this company did not pay us on time. They can say what they want but the fact is the payment should not have had anything to do with the holiday. Perhaps they're going to be one of those company's that whine about this and that and blame everyone else for treating their contractors like second class citizens. Right or wrong we are used to being paid every Friday like clockwork and there was no reason to expect that to change. They are certainly not making a good first impression and they won't get a second chance to do so.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

MsKim
Star Contributor

Bryan, Texas
USA
419 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  6:49:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
well said Sue.

Ms Kim
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6557 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  8:53:36 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is always the option to not work for them and then there is no need to be concerned. I appreciate the fact that they pay in such a timely manner.

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  10:06:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
PamInCA -

Am I to understand from your comment "I appreciate the fact that they pay in such a timely manner" that you were actually paid in a timely manner, and that you received your payment as expected last Friday?

I just looked, and the deposit which should have been available in my bank account last Friday has not yet reached the "in process stage" in my bank account (it is past midnight EST, so it can therefore not be available to spend in my account until at least Thursday at this point).

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6557 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  10:12:00 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
No, you are to understand that there are companies that pay 30, 60, 90, 120 days and even longer in some cases. It is my opinion that they are one of the fastest paying companies around and I am not going to get all up in a huff because they had issues once or twice in all these years.

I do not work for companies who do not pay me in what I consider a timely manner. Even if it does not come until Friday, that still puts Cori way ahead of a lot of other companies that shoppers are working for.

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  05:00:02 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hear ye, Hear ye one and all. My deposit has arrived.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

EmilyPWa
Valued Contributor

Willard, UT
USA
168 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  05:26:24 AM  Send EmilyPWa an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My deposit is pending this morning.

Emily
Now shopping in the Ogden UT area
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JonK
Contributor

AL
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  05:40:38 AM  Visit JonK's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I imagine the problem with the payment was because they were consolidating bank accounts or pay systems. My pending deposit is from Stericycle this time, not CRI. It makes sense that they would want to consolidate things before yearend.

I agree with Larry though and Pam on this one. You have to be prepared for situations like this with funds in reserve. CRI pays faster than almost any other company I shop with.

Jon
Shopping all of Alabama, Mississippi, Florida panhandle, most of Tennessee, western Georgia and anywhere else where there's opportunity!
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  07:07:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsKim

YES!!!! Mine is finally posted.

Mine is also from SteriCycle....And I too agree that we should of been warned that there was going to be a switch. A simple email explaining that it was going to happen and to expect delays would of kept all of us from being upset.

All Cori or SteriCycale had to do was email us that there was going to be a bank change of names and that there might be a delay. As to why they decided to do it on Christmas weekend will always puzzle me.

As for anymore people saying we should not depend on this money or have extra for "just in case".....PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS!!!!

This time of year this money for most was the extra gifts that someone wanted to buy. Also I work not for extra money but to make ends meet, most months. So please stop telling people they should not depend on the money or have extra for just in case.....no one would be working for this company or any others if we could not DEPEND on the money. If I could have extra in my account I would not of worked this month and had enjoyed the month with my family instead of using my week off my other job doing shops to.....MAKE MONEY FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!

So please stop telling people to "not depend on the money or to have extra set aside for just in case".
Thank you

Kim, sorry to see you are getting bent outta shape over my comments, but what I stated is a fact in the practice of running a healthy business with a healthy business model and cash flow, not a matter of opinion or argument. This is not employee work therefore no company is going to care if you are living paycheck to paycheck (not that employers do, but they tend to have some sympathy about it sometimes since they are bound by law to pay wages promised). This is IC work...big difference in what expectations one must have in order to survive with the least stress and threat of being shut down for good.

Not meaning to be rude here (again)...but I will drop it so as to "keep the peace" as they say.

BTW, I am not taking the side of this or any MSC. While I like CoRI as opposed to other MSCs, by and large I believe that MSCs take advantage of WAH moms/dads and others who are desperate to make extra income by offering ridiculous shop fees (if any at all) for people to gather information that they admit is highly valuable to their clients, yet they "hire" any joe or jane schmoe that can click and "I agree" button and fill out a W-9.
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6557 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  07:55:32 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
The email I received regarding my payments said on or around the date, not just "on." It may very well be that SteriCycle made this decision and it may very well be that not everyone will like the new pay cycles.

Larry, what I get out of your posts is "Do not spend money before you have it." I think this is a wise idea.

I do agree it would have been nice to be notified, but it does not appear that Cori was aware of the situation. It is pretty hard to take care of an issue you do not know about....

PamInCa
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  09:12:23 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did talk with CoRI earlier in the week, and was told this situation was something they did not foresee.
The delay was caused by a glitch in the change-over process that was unexpected, and I was told payroll was working around the clock to fix it. My thanks to them for getting the problem fixed so quickly! I'm also sorry that some of the employees may have had to curtail their personal holiday plans to correct this situation for us.

I agree with Larry, that we should all strive to be more financially secure to protect ourselves from these occasional payroll delays. My New Year's resolution: to build a larger cash reserve, so that in the future I'm not caught off guard when a pay check doesn't arrive when expected.
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  12:26:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PamInCa

Larry, what I get out of your posts is "Do not spend money before you have it." I think this is a wise idea.

Sorta, but what I'm really getting at is going into business with a proper reserve of cash. Or, if already in business without a reserve, tighten the belt strictly in order to build that reserve, then, once built, forget about it and pretend it doesn't exist until emergencies or whatnot arise (like when a "client" (aka an MSC) doesn't pay you or doesn't pay when expected/needed). Then, when you dip into it, you need to make sure you replenish it, of course.

IMHO, a reserve of $2K is probably good for most full time or almost full time MSers who do not do large reimbursement shops like resorts, cruises and whatnot.

And always remember, that your business reserve is not your personal reserve. That is a different reserve. Business monies and personal finances should never be mixed. That is another mistake most small business owners/ICers make, and eventually it ends up costing them their business. For some it may take longer, but eventually it will eat you up.

Anyhow, 'nuf about this. Everyone is getting paid now and it's all over. I'm just glad CoRI isn't turning out a bad MSC like so many of the rest. At least, not for now...
Go to Top of Page

TinaMarie
Star Contributor

USA
1811 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  5:22:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
[/quote] no one would be working for this company or any others if we could not DEPEND on the money. [/quote]

That is not true. I do not depend on the money and I work for this msc and others. I take the jobs because I care about customer service. My husband makes enough so that I do not need to work.

~*~TinaMarie~*~
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  5:47:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I mystery shop for fun and extra items I want. My husband makes enough to support me as well and I could just sit back and eat bon-bons but I choose to contribute what I can and still be a homemaker. The free gas, candy bars, food I bring home and even clothes do help out and it's just fun. When it ceases to be fun I will cease shopping. I do not depend on my wages to get by, Lord we'd go under if I did.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

LarryT
Star Contributor

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  5:47:51 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TinaMarie

I take the jobs because I care about customer service.

Wow! really? Now that's what I call hardcore.

Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake, at least I'm done with merchandising... for goodness sake.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 35 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums