Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2013 :  12:17:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the POP audits? If so there is no purchase necessary just a lot of pictures and no reimbursement if you do purchase something.
quote:
Originally posted by Larry S

In addition to the stated pay there will be a reimbursement for gas (inline with the shops they are now doing) and a convenience store item.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Larry S
Valued Contributor

Simi Valley, CA
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  12:27:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No. More like the combined mystery/revealed photo shops they do for other fuel companies.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

RobinC

Lexington, KY
USA
40 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2014 :  4:59:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have not shopped with Maritz for a while (I needed a break from the yellow gas station shops). But, I just saw they have some home improvement shops available. Has anyone done any of these or are they new?

Robin
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping Lexington and Central Kentucky
Go to Top of Page

EliseSm
Valued Contributor

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  10:38:37 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RobinC

I have not shopped with Maritz for a while (I needed a break from the yellow gas station shops). But, I just saw they have some home improvement shops available. Has anyone done any of these or are they new?

I haven't done one for this company, yet. I did them with another company, and was surprised to see them with Maritz.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2014 :  06:35:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see Maritz has some gas station shops that another company used to have. The fee stinks and they are reveal. I may try a few. Has anyone done these?
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2014 :  10:49:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw them too. I only do the gas station NON-reveal with them. $6 pay $5 gas + $1 store purchase. Not sure I want to do PICTURES and REVEAL for a few dollars more. It's not worth it. I think they have another national store from the same client.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2014 :  11:02:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you are talking about the pop AUDITS at the yellow stations they are a royal pain, lots of measurements and pictures and not worth the fee even if they doubled it. Just my opinion
quote:
Originally posted by MCBarb

I see Maritz has some gas station shops that another company used to have. The fee stinks and they are reveal. I may try a few. Has anyone done these?

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2014 :  5:48:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Are the new ones the kind where you have to photograph every pump on the lot at red/blue stations? I tried to log in to check, but my profile seems messed up so I'll have to call them to get it cleared up.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

Bob Good

Scottsdale, AZ
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  09:02:26 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What do people think about Maritz bank overdraft shops that require six uploads that are re-sized and identified along with a visit with a banker and a report for less than $10. Just the mechanics involved should call for at least $13 to $14 in my opinion. What do you all think.

Bob Az shopper
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  09:23:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I won't get in my car for $10.00. Maybe I'm just getting independent in my old age but I'm sick and tired of mystery shopping companies treating shoppers like they are doing us a favor by offering low paying jobs. Most of us are well educated people who do this for fun or just to make a few extra bucks each month. I don't know that anyone could actually make a good living doing this. I will give Maritz credit for offering 12.00 for the big blue DYI shops where the other company offered 4.00 to start. Now that was a real insult.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Good

What do people think about Maritz bank overdraft shops that require six uploads that are re-sized and identified along with a visit with a banker and a report for less than $10. Just the mechanics involved should call for at least $13 to $14 in my opinion. What do you all think.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Bob Good

Scottsdale, AZ
USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  1:37:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Right on Sue about the low pay and the reason many of us shop. Maritz is a good company to work with if only they showed more respect ($) to veteran and dependable shoppers

Bob

Bob Az shopper
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  3:02:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I guess some people think if they do 10 in a day, they are making close to $100 per day. I just did 4 ODP at $15 each. I won't touch without the bonus amount.

They pay $18 each in Nevada (starting with NO bonus). i love doing them out there.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2014 :  8:19:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done both of the shops in question lately and they are all ridiculously easy. The pay is more than reasonable for the work and time involved. Couple that with the fact that you are paid in 2 weeks and I have no problem taking a bunch.

The time and effort involved with the bank shops is actually less than the previous version that paid more. In addition, there is no restrictions on the number that can be done in a day (the other ones limited you to 1 per day). I can go to a location and do at least 10 - including drive time it is less than 2 hours of my time. I can make more with less effort (no narrative) in a day than just about any other type of shop out there. Doing a lot in 1 day makes reporting easier, at least for me, as I get into a "scanning groove" and can move almost faster than my scanner can keep up! I actually just figured out my pay per minute (including scanning and driving time) and it typically works out to $1 per minute. If I'm moving slowly that morning it still is working out to about $40-$50 per hour, paid in 2 weeks. Not a bad hourly rate if you ask me, especially for a part-time job.

The gas shops are equally as easy. I can be on and off-site in 1/3 of the time of the other brands that I do for them and the number of pictures is about equal. In my area there are also a lot more of this brand in a close area so the reimbursement more than covers my costs getting from 1 place to the other. My pay rate is working out to about 10% less than the bank shops and no narrative either.

BTW, if you use PicResizer it makes things go much quicker (take a picture of your receipt for the gas ones rather than scanning them, eliminates the step of resizing pictures and scans)...Just scan your collateral, use PR, copy to your "working" folder - maybe 45 seconds on a long day to resize my materials.

I just did the math on what I was making per hour 10 years ago when I left Corporate America. I have a degree - adjusting for what I would be making per hour now were I to have stayed there, and my hourly rate would be less than either of these assignments net me. Not to demean what we do, but we are essentially unskilled labor - there is no degree of specific training needed for these jobs, only the ability to read instructions, submit the reports on time, and operate a computer and digital camera. For these jobs the answers are clear (and require no writing skills either), the materials were either given to you or not and the gas station has what is required or not. I think that the hourly rate is quite fair if you truly analyze what is expected of the job. Therefore, it is not fair to compare what one would be making in another job to what is required for these jobs. The only thing to compare is how much time it takes for you to actually do the assignment from start to finish / the rate for the assignment = your hourly rate. Is that enough for you to make a profit? Is the profit enough to meet your personal goals (adding in the intangibles such as flexibility of schedule - being home on snow days and not having to leave the house in the deep freeze was huge for me and was $$ I didn't have to pay out in a babysitter)? The answer for each person should be clear and cannot be dictated by another person.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  05:53:48 AM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen, I think you laid everything out very well. The ability to do groups of shops in a close proximity is a big plus, and I can see why the fee for the new gas shops is a little bit less than the others - there are so many more of them around. If you can't do a group of them, perhaps it just doesn't work for you. I am glad to see this company getting more clients. Back in the day this company would never give incentives. Now, they do - which should help those in rural areas. Griping about shop pay doesn't seem to get results. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now and the pay overall has been flat, and in many instances has gone down to reimbursement only.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  07:11:55 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did this company just take both the gas stations AND the DIY stores from that other company?

--Sandi
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  07:14:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It would seem so.
quote:
Originally posted by Sandi G

Did this company just take both the gas stations AND the DIY stores from that other company?

Sue
Go to Top of Page

BKBerger
Valued Contributor

Porterville, CA
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  09:04:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynnPerleyBack in the day this company would never give incentives. Now, they do - which should help those in rural areas.

The incentives in my area have gone to nil.

I now get requests to shop locations that are a 4 hour round trip down and around the Sierra Nevada mountains. They are the same cities I declined with the other company. The bundling of 56 shops spread over 500 miles of driving was not appealing either.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  09:18:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen, you are correct that everyone has their own reasons for doing the shops they do. My only question for you is, why jump for the $9.50 pay when you know they will pay $15 (ODP scenario)? You could do LESS work for the same pay or you could do the same number of shops and MAKE more. For me, I have never done one for $9.50. I can't stomach working for HALF rate compared to the ones I do in Nevada for $18. I believe the $5.50 bonus (total $15) is fair compensation.

The company(ies) pay less because people trip over themselves to grab low paying shops regardless of how easy they are. They are NOT passing this savings on to the client. They are making all this money themselves. They own the business and take all the risk. I'm a capitalist too, but I don't want to help them by killing myself. I wait for the bonus and do quite fine. I live in Los Angeles area, so I might not get as many shops because of the heavy competition of shoppers in LA area, but doing LESS work for more pay is MORE desirable to me.

btw, what is this picture "resizer"? I've never resized my pics with them in 8 years of shopping.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  11:56:18 AM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The only way I get incentives from this company is from a phone call or e-mail. I don't see incentives offered for self assignments unless I get an e-mail. Perhaps they have always offered incentives, but it took years of shopping and a good rating for me to be offered one.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  11:59:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm probably in the minority on this, but... bummer. I hated CoRI's 3-day window, I hated having to use IE, but they were otherwise easy to work with and I got some pretty good fees for going to some of the out of the way places that required noticeable travel. Such has never been my experience with Maritz.

--Sandi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums