Page: of 19

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  6:13:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sandi,

Comparing Maritz to CRI is not even fair. CRI blows in comparison to most other MSC. The positive about CRI is that they pay frequently and on time. That is about the only thing they can brag about. While I'm not overly-impressed with Maritz, they are stable and do a decent job. The software is 100x better than CRI (but who's isn't?). The only real complaint I can must about Maritz is that I have to take a monthly quiz for the same shops (with the same guidelines and the same quiz) I've been doing for years. That's very LAME.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  6:43:02 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The quiz takes no time at all, and the screening questions are pre filled in with your profile information. I will take that with better software and better pay any time. If Maritz would just get Direct Deposit for their volume shoppers, I would be very happy. Even a paper check is okay now that I can make a deposit from home with a smart phone.

I have not done many shops for the other company you are comparing them to in years, due to not being willing to take the tiny pay shops and refusing to spend hours going through their qualifications.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2014 :  8:42:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MicahPage - waiting for a $15 shop works great, in theory. However, even before they changed to this new scenario, if the shops were not taken at the posted rate they did not stick around. Therefore, there was no waiting for a better rate - what you see is what you get. I have never "jumped" for any rate, I carefully weigh all the factors involved from amount of work involved to quickness of pay to work required to get paid to likelihood that the fee will increase. So...it makes more sense financially for me to take a route of 10 shops at the posted rate (and add in a couple of other simple ones in the same area with another company) then to wait for maybe 1 location to come up. The amount that I gain in a potential bonus is more than offset by the amount that I lose by passing up the other locations hoping that a bonus will show up. I also am assigned the same route at a regular interval, so for work planning purposes it makes much more sense for me to handle it the way that I do. Your method works fine for you but it does not work fine for others. I have to weigh a number of factors, pay only being 1 of them, to decide if handling my business the way that I do makes sense for me. As long as I am making a reasonable amount per hour (determined only by me), factoring in all the work involved (time on site, driving time, reporting time), I am satisfied. As this is not my primary job (my child is and my parents are, unfortunately, becoming more so), I have to concentrate my efforts to where it will not detract from that focus and will maximize my earnings in my limited time. Waiting for a possible bonus would not do so.

The nice thing about being an IC is that we can tailor this job to suit our individual circumstances. Deciding which jobs and companies work for each one of us is not a simple equation, despite the fact that it may appear so to others. We do have to be careful not to judge other people's areas and situations by our own areas and situations. Cost of living and economic conditions are not necessarily the same in all areas. Therefore, what is considered fair pay in one area might be beneath the comfort level of some folks in other areas. Whether a bonus will show up in 1 area is probably directly related to the cost of living in that area (people need to make more in higher cost (including gas prices) areas than others). Whether an assignment will stay on the board long enough to merit a bonus is probably more directly related to the need of people in that area to take as much as they can get, rather than having the luxury of waiting for a potential bonus. That is why my focus remains on the actual cost per hour (in my area) of doing the shop and how that relates to my pay per hour to determine if the pay is fair for me and me alone.

I use "Picresizer" (the one from CoRI's old site) probably because of the resolution at which my scanner (and camera) is set. I probably could change the scanner but the tool is quicker and easier for me. I also know that the size to which it is shrunk works for every MSC with which I deal so there's no guesswork involved. Using the tool eliminates the need to change the resolution if I need to use the scanner for another function.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2014 :  07:44:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I see Maritz also got the home improvement stores shops that start in Feb. Cori lost tho too.
Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2014 :  08:23:06 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the shop scenarios and the amount of work is the same, as the pay is about half in my area that CoRI had. Maritz doesn't allow you to see what all the shop entails until you assign it to yourself.

There are three types of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisSurveys
Apprentice

Arkansas
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2014 :  04:33:34 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Looks like the blue DIY is similar on scheduling from the former MS company. Wonder if Maritz will bonus these one for rural areas when they can't get them filled.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

FayEF
Valued Contributor

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  07:56:56 AM  Visit FayEF's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Looking for suggestions on obtaining "out of stock" item info before doing the site visit for the DYI blue stores.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  08:31:51 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
What I really do not care for is having to call them for everything. I cannot reschedule... I have to call. I keep getting emails from them that I did not debrief (quiz) but I did.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  08:58:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would take a screen shot of your score then email it to them in a reply email. That should do it but who knows.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Crickett
Contributor

Conway, AR
USA
66 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  10:17:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did several of these shops from Cori. They paid more. The least I got was $17.00, and it seems Maritz pays $12. It is pretty easy to find an out of stock item. You go to their website and look for something that does not say it is in the store at the moment. For appliances I had good luck with toaster ovens with a built-in rotisserie and counter top dishwashers. Both are on their site but not in most stores. I did another one where I wanted a wooden addition for my closet, with drawers. The job is a bit difficult as you have to describe all employees that help you and have to ask where different things are. Between finding the OOS item, the shop and the input, it definitely takes over an hour. Hope that helps.

Crickett
Go to Top of Page

DavidCar
Valued Contributor

Charlotte, North Carolina
USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  04:01:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's quicker to go into the stores and go to either plumbing (sink/shower faucets) or tools. Look for empty slots which means an out of stock item. Always worked for me.
Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  2:36:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Crickett. Yeah, that's the same MO as CoRI had, but more money. I'm not doing that much work for so little. The $1 reimbursement for a small purchase is keeping my house well stocked with outlet covers, however.

There are three types of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  4:47:22 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KarenKachelmeyer

Thanks, Crickett. Yeah, that's the same MO as CoRI had, but more money. I'm not doing that much work for so little. The $1 reimbursement for a small purchase is keeping my house well stocked with outlet covers, however.

I never did these with CoRi but I took one in my hometown. If it isn't worth it, I won't take any more.

Lynn
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  5:01:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This company used to be one of my favorites but it is rapidly heading toward the 10 foot pole list. I made a mistake bidding on the gas shops and put the wrong pay I wanted. When I didn't get the shops I called and was told by a curt woman that I had bid incorrectly and unless I had the original email with the link they couldn't help me. I finally found the email I had deleted and sent in another bid which was in line with what they wanted to pay. I haven't heard anything and it's been a month. I am one of their best go to shoppers when they are in a pinch and now I'm treated like this? Maybe I'm being punished. I wonder if they have new management. I was told there is a code by my name showing I am one of their reliable shoppers.
If you really want to work your butt off for little pay try those POP audits. Since they couldn't get anyone to do them around here they sent out a letter with very high pay but still no takers. Now they are with a scheduling company and a whole five dollars bonus. It isn't worth the money unless they are paying fifty bucks a location. They are the worst shops I have ever done and it only took two to make me realize I didn't want to do anymore. If they can track this back to me I will probably never get a job from them again and right now that wouldn't be such a big loss.
Now that having been said, does anyone know where the Dinosaur shops are? I miss those.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

StephinAlabama
Apprentice

Spanish Fort, AL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  10:41:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just finished my first report for Maritz, after a long mystery/reveal shop that has left my head spinning. Is their website always so slow? It crawled, especially when I attempted to enter all the photos.

If I had known what I was in for I wouldn't have signed up for a gas shop, but now that I've bought my vest and spent so much time reading an abundant amount of material I feel like I have to do a few more to try and salvage something out of this experience!

I've spoken directly with at least 3 people there and they seem like they are just the nicest group of people, though. I'm hoping their home improvement shops are more worth the effort?
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  05:35:47 AM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Steph, the gas shops get easier after you do a few of them. The photo upload has been slow recently, I agree.

Lynn
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

StephinAlabama
Apprentice

Spanish Fort, AL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  07:38:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wait, you also have to submit your receipts a second time on an invoice in order to be reimbursed?! None of the other companies I've worked for are this complicated.

Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  08:46:19 AM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
What I do is take a photo of both receipts together for each gas station. The individual receipts are required, but if you make it a habit to also take a photo of both receipts together, you will have the receipt you need for your invoice. I submit one invoice for all of the locations I do in a single day, so that I don't forget.

Lynn
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  09:02:15 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The Shell shops do get easier. I just took 24. I take a picture of each receipt then put them together and take a joint picture. It becomes routine and is not a problem. As for the slowness of the sight, that seems to happen more in the evening. I just load the pictures, hit submit then go off and do something else for a few minutes. What is frustrating is when the connection is so slow it times out and you have to start over.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

StephinAlabama
Apprentice

Spanish Fort, AL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  09:29:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn! After taking a 2nd look at this thread I see that these gas shops are really geared to people who whip out a high volume of them.

It isn't like I'm not used to submitting detailed reports or complicated shops, but I was caught off guard by how different this company is than all the others I've worked for.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums