Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1710 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  06:55:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hmm, same home improvement shops for same old $12.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  07:20:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think it's much better than the other company who started them off at $4.00.
quote:
Originally posted by MCBarb

Hmm, same home improvement shops for same old $12.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  11:20:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I accepted 2 of the discount food chain shops. Then found that there is a 37 page color manual. Only 12 questions on the quiz, but I had to get help to pass it. Some depend upon unstated definitions. Something that is long is not large, I was told. What is "large" I asked. I was told that it has to be high, but not long. Well, I finally passed. But I balked when I was told that they expect the 37 page survey to printed in color. I have looked through it, and by carefully selecting pages to be printed in B/W instead of color, the cost would come down. I was told that people who accept these shops generally have the ability to print in color at home. Really? And what does that cost them? A B/W print on my Brother B/W laser printer at home costs $0.03 plus $0.01 for the fraction of the drum cartridge, plus about a penny for the paper, and we are already up to $0.05 for a homemade B/W print. What does a homemake color print cost? About 20% of the shop fee is used up printing cheap copies at home in B/W, and what about the pages which need to be in color? I thought about printing a worksheet just for the 80 or so answers and reusing their survey form over and over again. If I print one set in color at Staples, that amounts to $18 so I would need to do 2 shops just to break even (I know that I have not included the small reimbursement for a purchase in the mystery shop portion before the audit begins).

As Maritz told me, it is a personal decision and everyone is different. I opted to give both of them back to Maritz. For me, it is not worth it considering the printing costs, driving at $0.55 per miles, and my time.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  3:07:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This place cracks me up. It's the same question everytime? What is your shopper #? Then they look 20 miles from your zip code and repeat back to you what you already know. I don't know how they keep their clients if they do that nonsensical stuff to them. They must have different people talking to the clients.

Harvey, I'm toally with you. Do you even print the form for the secret code? I print as PDF and get the code that way. I'm not going to waste paper (or money) for a silly code. I know of no other MSC (at least that I'm contracted with) that operates with such goofy antics. You cannot communicate via email with them (unless it's a general mail box). The person told me today that it's cheaper that way. I asked them how much an email cost to send as opposed to paying for an 800 number and toll-free calls they receive all day long. There was no answer.

I continue to shop the same 2 clients, but I won't touch the other stuff.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  3:14:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you'll just hit print preview you can get the code, write it down and you're done. I do save each questionnaire as a PDF then I can check back if I need to and it doesn't take any paper. .
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

This place cracks me up. It's the same question everytime? What is your shopper #? Then they look 20 miles from your zip code and repeat back to you what you already know. I don't know how they keep their clients if they do that nonsensical stuff to them. They must have different people talking to the clients.

Harvey, I'm toally with you. Do you even print the form for the secret code? I print as PDF and get the code that way. I'm not going to waste paper (or money) for a silly code. I know of no other MSC (at least that I'm contracted with) that operates with such goofy antics. You cannot communicate via email with them (unless it's a general mail box). The person told me today that it's cheaper that way. I asked them how much an email cost to send as opposed to paying for an 800 number and toll-free calls they receive all day long. There was no answer.

I continue to shop the same 2 clients, but I won't touch the other stuff.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  3:42:00 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harvey S.

I accepted 2 of the discount food chain shops. Then found that there is a 37 page color manual.
As Maritz told me, it is a personal decision and everyone is different. I opted to give both of them back to Maritz. For me, it is not worth it considering the printing costs, driving at $0.55 per miles, and my time.

I printed one copy of the manual with 2 pages to one, double sided. I made an outline of the survey questions that fits on one page and I can refer to it over and over. This was back when they were first issued a year ago. I guess I was lucky there have been no major revisions to that manual and this company still has the client. I print the first page of each survey to get the code and I take notes on the back during the shop. Then I document everything with pictures. I have done enough of these now, and most of them bonused, that I figure I have made back my money on the printing. I won't take them unless they are bonused except for the closest location to me. The hardest part for me was learning where to find the expiration dates on all of their products.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  5:24:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Micah & Lynn -

For all of my shops, I generally print the first page of the assignment and use it as a storage location for stapling receipts, business cards, a place to take notes on phone calls, etc. The rest of the finished document becomes a PDF file. I had not thought of printing two pages on a single page. It still seems like an awful lot of work for the base pay. I have done grocery mystery shops and audits for other MSC's and they had nowhere near the work this one requires. Maybe over time it goes fast, but I could see myself wandering all over the store - back and forth - looking for things. Plus I was in a bad mood because every question I failed was due to semantics and they would not budge. Nowhere was "large" defined, but a sign 20 or 30 feet long but not high was deemed to be not large. Maybe sometime they will call and offer triple pay and I will give it a try. The nearest one is 7 miles away so $7.70 gets used up just for mileage charges if I was going there and back and nowhere else.

Thanks for letting me vent. I have a suspicion that people who print in color at home or even in B/W at home have no idea how much it actually costs to print a page. At least they print and mail me the manual for the yellow gas station shops and I get some free gas out of it.

Harvey
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  5:55:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harvey S.
The nearest one is 7 miles away so $7.70 gets used up just for mileage charges if I was going there and back and nowhere else.

Well... $7.84 if you are using the IRS 2014 rate of $0.56.

I actually don't know exactly how much it costs me to print. (I print everything in draft mode to use lighter ink. Unless it is something I have to give to someone else, I also print two pages on each side, double-sided print. I don't have any idea how to calculate that price.) No way I'm printing 37 pages in color, though, unless it is a whopping fee to go with it.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2014 :  5:57:07 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Harvey, you might check the cost of your ink and printer. The newer printers are much more economical even for color prints and most of the time I don't print in color - it is not necessary.

Lynn
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  6:19:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin E

Heads up on one of their bank shops -- one of the questions asked about checkboxes on different brochure. A new brochure (issue date March 2014 on front cover) DOES NOT have checkboxes on it.

I generally don't upload a photo at all for my bank shops, and I do a ton. I've never been asked about it.

I appreciate the heads up about the 37-page manual. I'm still on the fence about doing those discount grocery chains, and that sways me even further off. They call me every couple of days to offer them, since I think I'm the only shopper in my rural area, and it's right down the road. I have told them that I'm not interested, but they keep calling me anyway. Kind of annoying. The shop shows up in my search. If I wanted it, I'd snag it.

Other than that, this is my favorite MSC to work for. I love the bank shops. There are so many of them that I can route them for a decent day. I like the home improvement shops, too, especially because they get incentives. I did them with the other MSC and liked them as well, it just took longer to get paid more than $5 =/

There are three types of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2014 :  10:11:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen - there must be different banks shops. The ones I see are for a NY based bank and there are multiple documents which must be scanned after hand-writing the job ID on each one. I did two of them to see if I liked doing them, and I did.

Doing the home improvement stores at the original fee seems to lead to a request to go back (to a different department) at an enhanced me, and to do others at an enhanced fee. Pretty cool!

Harvey
Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  5:14:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do upload all of the required photos in the shop itself. I was replying to whomever asked about what to upload at invoice when you submit a receipt. I thought I had replied with a quote, but I don't see it now =/ I don't upload anything with the invoice for my bank shops.

I had the same experience with the home improvement shops where I did one at the regular fee and was contacted with an incentive in a different department.

There are three types of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  12:12:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one that doesn't get it?

Maritz schedulers have to be some of the most illogical people.

I self-assigned a bank shop on april 29th. it's been sitting there. they routinely offer the $5.50 bonus on them at the end of the month. There is even an email indicating this. Because I didn't use the "link" in that email, the scheduler told me I can't get the bonus. So basically i would get the bonus if I used the link, but because I didn't, I don't get it. I told her she could explain that to the client when they failed to get the location shopped. I told them I won't do the shop at the standard pay.

I like the clients, but I really struggle with the lack of common sense with this company. Even with the invoices we have to submit, there is an amount field. Why do we have to enter anything? If we enter the wrong amount, will they pay it? If we enter 0, do they not pay us? What is the point? Maybe i've been shopping too long now (over 10 years), but I'm tired of the nonsense I see from this MSC. it really baffles me to see such lunacy.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  12:47:37 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Their e-mails offering bonuses are very clear that you have to use the link in the e-mail to self assign and get the bonus.

Lynn
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  12:55:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynn,

Yes, I'm aware of the emails. However, how silly is that? I know of no other MSC that needs to fill shops that says, we will only give it "this way." Next time I'll remember to use the link. I just don't see really why that is truly necessary. The shop needs to be filled. It is the end of the month and no one is taking it. Is it better to tell the client "sorry, we couldn't get the shop filled" because I didn't use the link? there seems to be no common sense. Yes, it's my fault for not following their silly rule to get the bonus. Now what happens if I use the link and it doesn't apply the bonus correctly? They still won't honor it? See where this leads?

Micah
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  1:22:38 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
They leave the shops up with no bonus so the less experienced will take the shop, and they save money. They also can clearly communicate that if you want the bonus, the shop needs to be done by XXX date. I just got one of those e-mails. They offered a $20 bonus if the shop was completed by tomorrow but you had to call to get the bonus. The shop is still out there with no bonus. I presume that the reason you have to call or use a special link is so they can make sure you know the strings attached to getting the bonus. I personally don't see anything wrong with that. Other companies will raise the price of shops on the job board, if they are not taken or publicize a bonus to all shoppers, but this company apparently does it differently.

Lynn
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2014 :  1:57:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
yes, but I did call. I guess I should not have assigned it to myself and called first. Still, in the end, they need to have it shopped. I do NOT need to shop it. only when it's the right price, will I do it.

They just seem to be one of the more backwards thinking companies I've done assignments for.

How about this one.

These are instructions from one of their shops. What is the difference between current/existing?

NOTE: If you are a current XXX customer, you may complete this shop but must play the role of a new customer. If you are an existing customer you should use the new device upgrade scenario.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  10:58:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Did they lost the big bank client to a Sassie company? I don't see the big bank client on their job board for May and I've been getting some Sassie shop notifications from another company that seem very similar to what Maritz had.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  06:21:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I still have lots of the big bank shops on my board :)

Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  07:20:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Though I did just sign up to a new MSC, and the same big bank shops are available there for $3 more pay. I've tapped out this client in my area, so I sure wish I'd signed up earlier! I missed out on hundreds of dollars.

Maritz has new shops with this client, though, that the other one doesn't have. Telephone only. I'm loving those!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums