Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  12:28:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just got pulled off the bank jobs because I was "identified" as the shopper on a phone call. They even took away the ones that were already in progress which, I guess, means I won't be paid for the work and travel already done. Well, honestly, I'm not too surprised. I've been talking to the same bankers for, what six years? Asking the same questions every other month or so. I wondered which ones DIDN'T know I was the shopper, even though nothing was ever said. I guess it had to happen but I'll miss the money! In bulk they were a pretty good deal.
Go to Top of Page

Crickett
Contributor

Conway, AR
USA
66 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  7:16:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They offered a job for $12 that I did for another company for $17 and $24. Once they offered a bonus when I clicked on an email, but when I got to the site the job showed the same old price. I truly agree with many of these comments, and also want to add that this company is VERY picky about the work one does for them. It is just not a friendly company.

Crickett
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  04:30:33 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was pulled off some bank jobs, before they lost the contract, and I got paid for the work already done.
quote:
Originally posted by LAlao

Just got pulled off the bank jobs because I was "identified" as the shopper on a phone call. They even took away the ones that were already in progress which, I guess, means I won't be paid for the work and travel already done. Well, honestly, I'm not too surprised. I've been talking to the same bankers for, what six years? Asking the same questions every other month or so. I wondered which ones DIDN'T know I was the shopper, even though nothing was ever said. I guess it had to happen but I'll miss the money! In bulk they were a pretty good deal.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  04:35:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When I click on that 'link' I take a screen shot of the page as a backup that they offered more. Usually in my situation the regular board shows the old price. They have also started sending an email telling you which shops you have been rewarded, keep that as well as it shows the fee you'll get paid. It doesn't hurt to have a back up. So far they haven't stiffed me on any fees. I find them very easy to work for and they pay like clockwork.
quote:
Originally posted by Crickett

They offered a job for $12 that I did for another company for $17 and $24. Once they offered a bonus when I clicked on an email, but when I got to the site the job showed the same old price. I truly agree with many of these comments, and also want to add that this company is VERY picky about the work one does for them. It is just not a friendly company.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  07:01:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
LAlao, I used to shop the banks I believe you are referring to. It was never "reported" that I was spotted but I am sure that I was.

I had signed for five banks. When I went to the second bank (the day after the first one), the banker there (a manager) was the same one as at the first bank even though these branches were 50 miles apart. I did not realize at first that I was talking to the same person because I only spoke to her briefly when she was greeting customers at the first bank and this was a sit-down meeting. She was dressed entirely different and it changed her looks. I realized it at the very end of our meeting and I made up a story that, when I am thinking of opening a bank account, I like to visit different locations to see which one I like most. I found out that some of the bank employees would work at several branches, especially the managers.

I called Maritz and told them I would need to turn back to them the remaining three locations. I did not want to run the risk of meeting with the same banker a third time. I never did the shops after that because I always had the fear of running into the same employee more than once.

I have other banks I do for another company but I like to stick with the drive-thru shops. I think when the visits are conducted inside, where they can get a better look at you, it is wise to limit the number of shops (unless, you can disguise yourself).

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  5:10:55 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to say a word of praise for this company. The communication has not been as good this year as it used to be. Due to a communication error, I had a few shops of a gas station route pulled when I did not finish the route on time. I put the error on me because although I left voice mails and I sent e-mails, I did not keep following up until I spoke to a live person. I assumed everything was okay so I did not follow up, but it actually wasn't.

I figured I was toast with that particular client and I would not get offered any more routes or shops for them. I just got offered a reduced route (fewer stations, same length of time to complete), for the same client, at a similar pay rate. I doubt the weather will cause as many problems as it did for me the first rotation, but they kept me on with that client with a reduced workload. I think that is extremely fair.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Sandi G
Star Contributor

Tallahassee, FL
USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  6:04:04 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynnPerley

I put the error on me because although I left voice mails and I sent e-mails, I did not keep following up until I spoke to a live person.

We obviously have different ideas of reasonable. What is the point of voice mail and email if it does not count as communicating with them? I'm glad for you that they still offer you work, but I disagree that it was your error once you had both written in and left voice mails.

--Sandi
traditional & video shopping FL and GA
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  2:06:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Is anyone having problems uploading their receipts into the report and into the invoice? I have so much trouble with this and I can't figure out if it is with my computer or with Maritz's system.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  04:09:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
NicLinBlue,

I have never had a problem uploading the receipts. I only do the gas shops. The shop requires two receipts and there are two places to upload in the report, however, I put both my receipts on one page and upload it TWICE.

When I get to the invoice, I upload the receipt page again.

Their receipts need to be in jpg format.

You didn't mention exactly what type of problem you are having.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  2:57:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have been having problems when I try to upload the receipt into the top right hand side of the report. All my pictures or files are jpeg unless the company requests that they are in PDF form. When I upload the receipt, it does not physically show up in the report, it just shows as blank. I will be doing another big box store shop for them this weekend and I will be crossing my fingers that all goes well with uploading the receipt. When I used to do the gas shops, I didn't have any problems with uploading the receipt, and I did quite a few of the gas shops. I sure wish the gas shops would come back for our area as I really miss them.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  07:14:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Linda, mine do not show up on the report either (gas shops). However, at the end of the report, after I submit it, there is another section to upload receipts. If I enter them again there, they show up off to the left but they are small and unreadable.

Then, when I do the invoice, same thing. The receipt shows up very small and unreadable, but they are going through and I get paid.

I guess that is the main thing that Maritz is getting the receipts. Have you called them to make sure? And, maybe ask if you are really having a problem or if this is the way it should be. If they are not getting the receipts, I am sure they would have contacted you about it. But, if I were you and still have concerns about it, I would give them a call to make sure everything is going through okay. You don't want to worry about it.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  08:42:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Just wondering how many people are still tripping over each other to knock out the $9.50 scenario at big bank. These same exact shops (different locations) are at another company for $15 pay. Why work for $9.50 if you can do them for $15? I'm in Southern California and there are plenty with both companies. Maybe that is not the case in other areas, but it will be interesting to see how many sit there on the board with Maritz because people will refuse to work for 2/3rd pay.

Also, other company software is SUPERIOR and does not require creating an invoice to get paid (unnecessary extra step with Maritz).

Micah
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  10:59:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MicahPage, thanks for the info, I found it very helpful. I did my big box store shop for Maritz on June 2nd. Wouldn't you know it, their reporting system had a glitch in it and didn't show 4 of the questions at the beginning of the report. I got an email the next day explaining about the glitch and I will have to go back in and enter the required info. The date done, start and end times and the amount I spend was missing. It also wouldn't let me submit an invoice. You can imagine my utter frustration before I was told it was their system and not me. We are still trying to get everything entered and receipt invoiced and my report taken off hold. I called them first thing this morning and they said their system should be OK now!! Before I logged out, I checked my report and it was off hold. A scheduler just called me to tell me that my report was put back on hold for more info and when I checked it on their site as I was on the phone with her, it was showing as OK and moving through the process. She was surprised and checked herself and agreed that it was not on hold anymore and I can relax. I don't think I will relax on this report until I get paid. Once I get home from all the shops I have scheduled today, I will check my report to make sure it is still showing it's not on hold. I am finding this all very frustrating and time consuming. With the time I had to spend on the phone with them, twice, has made me late getting on the road to complete my today's shops.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  6:48:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

Just wondering how many people are still tripping over each other to knock out the $9.50 scenario at big bank. These same exact shops (different locations) are at another company for $15 pay. Why work for $9.50 if you can do them for $15? I'm in Southern California and there are plenty with both companies. Maybe that is not the case in other areas, but it will be interesting to see how many sit there on the board with Maritz because people will refuse to work for 2/3rd pay.

Also, other company software is SUPERIOR and does not require creating an invoice to get paid (unnecessary extra step with Maritz).

Despite the condescending tone of the original question, I will give you a direct, non-condescending answer. In my area you cannot do the higher paying shops if you are a customer of this financial institution. In addition, you must apply and be awarded these assignments, not a guarantee. So...I can cross my fingers and hope that I can get the locations and that it would mesh with other assignments in the same area, or I can have a steady group of assignments that are not onerous to do each month and build other assignments around it thereby maximizing my pay. My overall pay is maximized because of how I can structure my month by taking lower pay. I am running a business and the cost/benefit is greater working for Maritz. In addition, I have found them very reasonable in moving dates around and offering bonuses so I'd rather deal with a known entity. It would be really great if I could count on the fact that I would get the higher locations or that I would get bonuses but that is not in the cards. Factor in the fact that I have an almost 6th grader (Mom is my primary job) and having set work in set locations each month makes it easier to manage my primary job (and they will move dates so doing them coincides with my child's schedule). I am not selling myself short in any way, but the way that they structure things works for me. In addition, Maritz pays every 2 weeks. Applying the time value of money, the pay is actually higher than a company that pays in 30 days. Rather than judge someone else's reasons for doing things (or at least phrase the question in a more respectful, less judgemental tone), consider that the motivation may be more than strictly dollars and cents. Another person's reasons for making a business decision is just as valid as mine, I would never presume that they are not valid just because they differ from mine. That's why this line of work is great - plenty of variety to go around!

Karen
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  4:44:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It was more of a observation than aimed at anyone in particular. You can do whatever you want. I'm not desperate and have the luxury of being selective with my shops. This is a side thing for me, not something that pays any bills. So for me, accepting the SAME job for 2/3rd pay is UNACCEPTABLE. Maritz loves people who will take less pay. As long as people do, there is NO need for them to pay more.

Maritz pays in a timely manner. Okay. That's a positive. However, with these bank shops, you're not laying out any money, so it's not like you're losing anything by waiting another week. (btw, the other company pays FASTER than Maritz, but that's not the point of this).

Maritz has more negatives than positives when comparing them to this other company. Maritz won't even allow their employees to email (at least externally).

Not exactly sure by what you mean as being a customer of the bank doesn't allow you to do the shops. I know plenty of customers of the bank still doing them.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  6:12:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
MicahPage, I did not take your initial question as presented in a condescending tone. There will always be someone that will take a statement and read what they want into it. This is the chance we take by being a part of any forum. In regards to your question, I will not do a job for any low ridiculous fee in most cases. I am doing this to make money, not loose it. I have been very lucky in the last year as I have been able to get the majority of jobs at a decent fee that I am really happy with. I will take a few gas shops for the low fees because I know the shop is easy to do, the report is simple and relatively quick and I always need gas. It's always nice to get $10.00 or $12.00 worth of free gas! I took a break for about 6 months and when I came back, I was so surprized to find that one of my MSC's had raised their cell phone shop fees from $15.00 to $22.00. In the 15 years I have been doing this, I have never worked for a company that raised the fees, I have had the fees lowered but never raised. I wish more MSC's would do the same or at least pay more then $10.00 a shop.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  07:23:11 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was told by a scheduler working with the non-Maritz bank project that shoppers will not be approved to shop the bank for them if they are signed up with any other company that shops that bank. I guess that applies even if you contract with Maritz but don't shop the bank. I can't get approved for the project with the new company.
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  09:05:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not sure how that works. Maritz never "qualified" people to shop XXXXX to begin with. The other company either has to or is just being more difficult. Either way, it's not my responsibility to tell them or have them share information with each other.

Personally, the whole shop scenario is stupid. How many NON-shoppers really ask the questions they want us to ask? It is so easy for them to identify the shopper of the month. Especially late in the month when they're waiting to be shopped.

With the other company actually pyaing a legitimate fee for the shop, they will have their shops done early in the month (except hard to fill locations). I noticed Maritz just sent the bonus e-mail for the project. Guess they realized the shoppers are smart enough to stop doing it for Maritz at 2/3rd pay. I don't remember Maritz ever sending bonus email for project within the FIRST week of the new month.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

ValricoConnie
Star Contributor

FL
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  11:50:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was not approved to shop the blue bank for the new msc. The scheduler said they send list of shoppers' names and the bank sends them back a list of approved shoppers. I'm a customer of this bank. A friend of mine is also a customer, but she is on the approved list. It's frustrating. Maritz may pay less, but at least I'm working.

>^..^< ::¤Connie¤::¤Gold Certified¤:: >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

EliseSm
Valued Contributor

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  4:18:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ValricoConnie

I was not approved to shop the blue bank for the new msc. The scheduler said they send list of shoppers' names and the bank sends them back a list of approved shoppers. I'm a customer of this bank. A friend of mine is also a customer, but she is on the approved list. It's frustrating. Maritz may pay less, but at least I'm working.

I can't get through the Profile Updating to get bank shops at the new msc, either. I sent an email for help and received a courteous and confusing reply. Their constant emails on my computer and phone are frustrating and annoying.

Bonuses happen with the original company, nice bonuses.

Maritz is a solid and reputable company, that would throw me under the bus like a piece of litter. :) Once I realized that it was business, it was easier to work on being professional and perfecting my work.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums