Page: of 19

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2014 :  06:00:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Their constant emails on my computer and phone are frustrating and annoying.

At least Maritz does not alert me to shops that I am not qualified for or even show them when I search. The new bank MSP's emails taunt me. As if to say, "Look! We've got lots of jobs! But not for YOU! Nanananabooboo!"
Go to Top of Page

KarenKachelmeyer

Martinsville, IN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  07:52:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get annoyed with the constant phone calls, as well. Each team calls me once a day, so that's 4 calls from Maritz every single day. I can't even answer my phone when I'm home due to no reception, so it's a gaggle of voice mails. I have stated in my reports that I don't want to be put into rotation for the big bank shops, as I do rural shops and am very recognizable in appearance, but I still get a ton of calls. I wish there was an opt out of phone calls option on the website. I much prefer email and checking the job board to route myself.

There are three types of people in the world, those that can count, and those that can't.
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  08:17:36 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just saw a shop for a large (and dying) retailer which involves finding a manager and then talking to a sales associate in each of five departments. Six interactions for $10 total. Am I missing something, or is this actually much, much easier than it sounds. I pass one of these stores 5 days each week, so incremental mileage is zero, but the pay rate seems abysmal to me anyway.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
661 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  08:22:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I get annoyed as well by the phone calls. I have given maritz their personal ring tone which says this is an annoying person calling. I just ignore it until I am ready to listen to the voice mail. What bothers me as well as the phone calls is they tell me there are shops in my area then come to find out they are anywhere from 75 to 100 miles away. They then offer me an incentive and are insulted when I don't take it. Sometimes no amount of money is enough if you just don't want to do the jobs.
quote:
Originally posted by KarenKachelmeyer

I get annoyed with the constant phone calls, as well. Each team calls me once a day, so that's 4 calls from Maritz every single day. I can't even answer my phone when I'm home due to no reception, so it's a gaggle of voice mails. I have stated in my reports that I don't want to be put into rotation for the big bank shops, as I do rural shops and am very recognizable in appearance, but I still get a ton of calls. I wish there was an opt out of phone calls option on the website. I much prefer email and checking the job board to route myself.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
372 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  01:12:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have found that as long as everything is 'perfect' I am ok. But if anything is non-standard this company is one of the worst to deal with. They never respond to emails. It's all phone with them, even when I wish they wouldn't call.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2014 :  01:38:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maritz is one of the few companies that you can telephone and usually speak with a person right away. This is very important to me when I have a problem or questions regarding a shop I am about to head out to do. The companies that we can only communicate with through emails are never immediately available and it has taken up to 2 days to get a response to my email. That is not acceptable to me when I need help or information on a shop that needs to be done the same day I send the email.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  3:11:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If you work well with schedulers some of them actually give you a number for texting. I found that to be the case with GFK and also A CLOSER LOOK.

Maritz only benefit is that they pay timely. They have many more negatives than positives when comparing to the majority of big mystery shopping companies.

The first line they learn as Maritz is "what is your shopper number." I ask questions that are not even related to my profile and that is the first thing they ask. When are you going to post such and such a client? What is your fax number? What team number is XXX? It is the same lame question first every time!!!

I don't even bother calling anymore. Why waste your time calling to hear nonsense?

wait for the bonuses and take the shops that you can self-assign. Remember you have to submit your receipt multiple times because they can't even communicate with themselves between departments. If they can't communicate amongs themselves, how can you expect to commmunicate with them?

Micah
Go to Top of Page

RSGlenn
Apprentice

Everett, WA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2014 :  10:44:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maritz is at the top of my list of favorite companies to work for and I don't mind the phone calls. In most cases, I usually get the bonus I ask for when they call to see if I am available to do a shop. They pay on time and if I have a question or need an extension, I call them.

Robbie S. Glenn
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
544 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  3:48:03 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I talk with Maritz all the time, and they have never once asked me for my shopper number when I've called asking when routes or clients are going to be posted. They've never once asked for my shopper number when I ask what team number handles such-and-such client. In fact, even when I call with a question or issue about a current shop they ask for the visit ID more often than they ask for my shopper number.

Furthermore, I've never once felt like they gave me the run around or a bunch of nonsense. As such, I don't hesitate to call when I need to. Only once have I had to call in a second time to get something resolved.

As for submitting receipts twice (once in the report, once in the invoice), it takes me all of ten seconds to do that. Would I prefer not to? Sure. But it's a minor inconvenience.

Maritz has treated me very well over the years. In fact, they once paid me out of their own pocket after a client told them to pull me from the shops (I had already done the shops for that day but had not gotten home to report them yet).

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

EliseSm
Valued Contributor

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  1:44:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have no problems with Maritz, but they always ask for my ID #. It's odd that they "know" you!
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  11:19:08 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They always ask for my ID #. It doesn't matter if I reach an operator or a team member, that is always their first question.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  10:11:10 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with poster, Alan-Texas. When I have had to call in to Maritz, I have never run into any problems. My questions or problems are usually sorted in one phone call. Maritz gives us the option to call them and also offers a toll free phone number. I believe that Maritz is one of the better MSC's to shop for because I really value the fact we can make contact with them, speak to a actual person & have a toll free number to use. One of the other MSC's I do work for doesn't offer telephone contact at all. They have just answered my second internal email to them regarding a very important situation that came up in regards to my shop. I had been waiting for over a week for a response which meant I couldn't complete the shop. To me, that tells me that the MSC doesn't care about getting back to shoppers to help sort out questions or problems regarding a scheduled shop. Since I had to take time to send the first email with no response and then a second email with no response for a week, you can imagine that I am not impressed with this company. At least with Maritz, we can call them and usually talk to a person right away or leave a message.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  1:06:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree. I have never had a problem reaching a real person at Maritz and they are always helpful. They do, however, always ask for my I.D. But I don't mind.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2014 :  11:08:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I never claimed they were a terrible company. I appreciate that many people are validating my claim that "what is your shopper #?" is the first line they learn in training. It doesn't matter what the question is, that is so ingrained in them from the first day of training that they don't know what else to say.

Benefits---They have national clients. They pay on time. You can reach someone by phone (I don't see the need for this).

Negatives---Their software is inferior (to Sassie/MarketForce). Their procedures lack common sense (printing ppwk to get "special code"). Having to submit receipts MULTIPLE times because they refuse to set up process where editing/accounting departments can share the same image. Having to use special link for bonus even though they are desperate to have shop done (didn't use the link, you can't get bonus). They UNDERpay (regular pay) for the same client being shopped with another MSC. Many times in the middle of the night their servers are down for searching for shops. I check usually around 11 PM to 1 AM PST. I don't have these issues with the other MAJOR MSC.

Overall, there are more negatives than positives, but I continue to work for them. I will gladly fill my plate with shops from other companies first.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  8:34:56 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

They UNDERpay (regular pay) for the same client being shopped with another MSC.

I have to disagree with the misleading nature of this criticism. Yes, they pay less than other MSCs for the same client. However, at least in my area, the shops are vastly different (and the Maritz shops take less time and work so should pay less IMO). Therefore, this not a fair comparison. In fact, there are several MSCs shopping the same client but with widely varying amounts of work (and pay) involved. Unless someone is privy to the details of what each MSC is requiring in every area of the country for the same client and then knows that the shops are identical with each MSC, then to state that one MSC under (or over) pays is misleading at best and inaccurate and wrong at worst.

In my area there are several MSCs doing assignments for the same client, Maritz among them. However, assigning with the other MSC, despite the fact that they pay more, is not possible for me. Plus, even if it were possible, the jobs are not self-assigned so I could get 1 a month, none a month, or several a month. In contract, with Maritz, I have a consistent 10+ each month with no restrictions as to how many I can do each day, so my income is greater (many are grouped very close together so my driving time is minimal to boot) and it's much easier to schedule my month (plus add in other assignments in the same area). Fighting for the other assignments would in fact reduce my income in the long run because I would pay out the difference in pay in the additional gas that I would spend driving between locations because they would be further apart than my current route is.

I have no issue with being asked for my ID #. I find that it saves time in the long run because the answer given is specific rather than generic. They have thousands of shoppers, why would I think they would know me just by name? I give my account number when calling any number of places, why would it be an issue here?

I like the fact that I can reach them by phone if I have either a complicated issue, issue needing several groups to solve (changing due dates for several clients for one), or need a quick answer. I find them easy to contact, helpful, and pleasant to deal with.

The fact that they pay within 2 weeks without reminder is much appreciated. It makes record keeping easier, especially at year end. Uploading my receipt twice - maybe an additional 30 seconds, not a big deal. If I have to spend 30 seconds in order to get paid 2 weeks faster than other places, hmmm, not something to think twice about.

The fact that I am assigned a group of shops consistently without having to haunt their job board makes scheduling around my "Mom" life much simpler. I find them very accommodating with rescheduling assignments, particularly in the summer when I have limited time and have to do things when the kiddo is away at camp. It's never been an issue and takes, at most, a 5 minute phone call on a busy month.

I have also found that they are very forgiving of errors. I had a situation recently where an assignment that I had done multiple times before had one of the steps changed. I did it the old way and they would have been well within their rights to reject the assignment. They just called me to nicely remind me of the change and still paid me the shop pay plus the bonus.

All in all, I find them to be fair, reasonable, easy to work with, and actually have a sense of humor.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
296 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  12:08:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen MSW,

It is NOT misleading. The reports/assignment for the bank client is exactly the same for RSG and Maritz. Maritz pays $9.50 standard. RSG pays $15 standard. Less work with RSG actually. NO dumb quiz every month for the same client/scenario you've already completed 100 times before. No printing ppwk (pdf or on paper) to get special code just to do the shop. You're only benefit is that you can self-assign with Maritz and RSG selects who they want.

You are NOT laying out any money for the bank shops, so what does it matter if it takes 2 weeks or 1 month to get paid? Banks pay 0.10% interest. You are not making anything extra by getting it 1 week earlier.

So because you’re not disputing these claims, I guess you are in agreement with them? :-P

Negatives---Their software is inferior (to Sassie/MarketForce). Their procedures lack common sense (printing ppwk to get "special code"). Having to submit receipts MULTIPLE times because they refuse to set up process where editing/accounting departments can share the same image. Having to use special link for bonus even though they are desperate to have shop done (didn't use the link, you can't get bonus).

Micah
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1709 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  06:11:00 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They do not call me anymore and neither does MFI. I put a stop to that. There is no reason to be bothered like that. I use my phone for other things. I can self assign and do. Maritz pay is low in my opinion for all shops. I will not do an audit at a gas station for $10. period
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  11:57:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In regards to different MSC's paying different fees for the same job. I do cell phone shops for one company at a fee over $20 and the very same shop with another company that pays $15.00. The higher paying company has farmed out some of their shops to the second company and I am not adverse to doing these jobs for the 2 different companies at 2 different fees. I find these shops very easy to do, not time consuming and I can get the report done in 10 minutes, if I don't let other things distract me. I would love to get the higher pay for every cell phone shop I do, but that's life. I am grateful that I can get any of these very easy shops at even the $15 fee. The only thing I have to be very careful about is that I don't shop a location for one company and do the same location for the other company within the 3 months time frame. That would be a disaster!! What I wouldn't do is the same shop for 2 different companies with a fee discrepancies of more then $5.00. The only exception is my cell phone shops.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  12:38:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I love the Customer First shops. They do not pay a lot but the shop only takes about fifteen minutes and the report is short and sweet.

Instead of going in the convenience store and buying cookies, or whatever, to spend my $1.00, I buy something that is useful that might cost a little more. I pick up paper clips, highlighters, staples, little notebooks, correction fluid, mostly all items for the office. I have accumulated a large container of office supplies. I never run out of anything.

I would never do an audit for $10 and I don't do any shops that require photos.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  3:29:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

Karen MSW,

It is NOT misleading. The reports/assignment for the bank client is exactly the same for RSG and Maritz. Maritz pays $9.50 standard. RSG pays $15 standard. Less work with RSG actually. NO dumb quiz every month for the same client/scenario you've already completed 100 times before. No printing ppwk (pdf or on paper) to get special code just to do the shop. You're only benefit is that you can self-assign with Maritz and RSG selects who they want.

You are NOT laying out any money for the bank shops, so what does it matter if it takes 2 weeks or 1 month to get paid? Banks pay 0.10% interest. You are not making anything extra by getting it 1 week earlier.

So because you’re not disputing these claims, I guess you are in agreement with them? :-P

Negatives---Their software is inferior (to Sassie/MarketForce). Their procedures lack common sense (printing ppwk to get "special code"). Having to submit receipts MULTIPLE times because they refuse to set up process where editing/accounting departments can share the same image. Having to use special link for bonus even though they are desperate to have shop done (didn't use the link, you can't get bonus).

it is a misleading statement because you are making a categorical statement (underpay) which, unless you are privy to the details of every shop for this particular client done by every MSC, you can't possibly know that they are the identical shop with the same amount of work involved. That is why I stated that in my area, the criticism cannot be leveled because the shops are not the same. Therefore, the pay rate may very well be legitimately different. As a matter of fact, there is a 3rd MSC in my area that pays more than the other 2 but the shops are different with a more involved report. If I were to say that other MSCs underpay because they pay less for a visit to the same client, that would also be misleading and inaccurate. Therefore a categorical assertion that Maritz underpays is quite simply wrong. It would have been an accurate criticism were you to have qualified your statement with "in my area" since I find it hard to believe that you know the details of what is being offered in Southeast Michigan. I also find it very hard to believe that you know the details of each shop offered by each MSC in each area of the United States for this client which additionally is why I find your criticism inaccurate and misleading.

I have occasionally done the higher paying assignments for this Client and, in my area, they are not the same and are in fact more work. Also, the locations that I visit I rarely, if ever, have to wait so my time on site is minimal making the total time for completion longer with the higher paying assignments so the end pay becomes very similar. However, I would not presume to make a statement that Maritz either over or underpays because I do not have access to the information required to substantiate that statement in any other area other than my own. As a matter of fact, there are 4 MSCs who do assignments for this client, each with a different pay rate, some higher, some lower. Can I state that any of these companies over or underpay because there are different rates of pay in my area - absolutely not, that would be a ridiculous statement because the assignments are different so a fair comparison cannot be made. What I do know is that when 3 MSCs, Maritz included, did the same assignment at the same client the pay was exactly the same in Southeast Michigan.

As for printing the paperwork to get the security code - I have not had to print any of their forms on paper for several years, I simply save the pdfs to my computer, toggle to the page, copy the security code to my form and move along. Sum total for the 20 assignments I did on Tuesday? 4 minutes. I can waste more time than that goofing around on Facebook!

As for getting paid more quickly than other MSCs? I don't know if you took any economics classes in your past but I did. The time value of money principle states that funds received sooner are worth more. Therefore, getting paid sooner is worth more than getting paid later.

As for their computer systems - not being an I.T. person myself I have only one requirement - that it work quickly and consistently. Maritz meets those requirements every time. The few extra steps that I might need to take to fit their needs add maybe 5 minutes per month to my time. Not worth being bothered over.

I have no issue with getting telephone calls from them. Many times my schedule has changes depending on what the kiddo has going and where we travel to. I have been able to pick up a few assignments, usually with a bonus, to offset some of my travel expenses (or kill some time if I have to wait around to pick her up). I also find that my willingness to be pleasant and help them out occasionally is paid back in their willingness to adjust due dates and work with me on issues.

And yes, the fact that I have routes that I have been given and other assignments that I get consistently is very valuable to me. This is not my primary job, being a Mom, wife, and daughter is. My schedule is much more manageable if I can plan my other obligations around my routes. I can't quantify the value of consistency but it's pretty high. I also save time not having to haunt job boards, wait for assignments to be awarded, then try to find other assignments to make the trip worth it (the other MSCs maybe give me 1 or 2 locations due to the number of shoppers in this area). So, in addition to the pay per assignment I also consider the value of my time and the reduction in my stress level. That makes the realized pay (if you include "psychic income") the same or higher than other MSCs for this client.

All in all, I find Maritz to be a good company to work for. Do they have quirks - certainly. Doesn't every MSC (and shopper)?

Disclaimer - all of the above observations are based on my situation and my area only. All shoppers need to take all factors into account to determine whether any of these assignments make sense for them. None of my comments were meant to be categorical or blanket in any way.

Karen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums