Page: of 19

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  9:14:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
KarenMSW,

I'm glad you want to be the defender of Maritz. I'm glad they make you so happy. That is good for you. I don't hate them, but I can be objective. I am a software engineer so I can be critical of their software. Sassie is a far superior platform. Other MSC that have done their own designs like MarketForce and A Closer Look have also done a superior job. When an MSC decides to create their own site for whatever reason, I like to compare it against others. Maritz fails this test.

I haven't hunted around for past assignments (history) with Maritz, but if they have it, it is not easily found. You can view past assignments if you ever needed to refer back to something on Sassie and other sites.

I did mention PDF in my claim about the code. Whether it took you 4 minutes or NOT, it is still an unnecessary step and a waste of time. Just like taking the quiz each new release of the same shop you've done multiple times.

Since you are superior to me in Economic knowledge, please show me how much more you're benefiting by getting paid in 2 weeks rather than 3 weeks. What is that formula you used to calculate how much better off you are?

I still do shops with Maritz. I just don't love them like you do. I do the shops I can with them even with all the extra steps not required by any other MSC (code/extra receipt uploads/multiple quizzes, poor software).

BTW, of course my claim that they underpay is based on shops in Southern California. That goes without mention. I never claimed universally the underpaid vs all MSC doing the same client.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  9:56:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

KarenMSW

Since you are superior to me in Economic knowledge, please show me how much more you're benefiting by getting paid in 2 weeks rather than 3 weeks. What is that formula you used to calculate how much better off you are?

BTW, of course my claim that they underpay is based on shops in Southern California. That goes without mention. I never claimed universally the underpaid vs all MSC doing the same client.

Time value of money definition - The idea that a dollar now is worth more than a dollar in the future, even after adjusting for inflation, because a dollar now can earn interest or other appreciation until the time the dollar in the future would be received. This theory has its base in the calculation for present value.

Read more: http://www.investorwords.com/4988/time_value_of_money.html#ixzz37n9XEzTp - Source "investor words" I did not state that I was superior but I did state that my knowledge of the subject came from my education not just something that was stated out of whole cloth. It is not a formula, just a basic economic principle - money received more quickly is inherently worth more.

Keep in mind that this site and the comments are read by new folks to this business, seasoned folks, and folks who might only shop occasionally. So therefore a blanket statement of criticism without qualifying it as being based on specific experience in a specific part of the country is by its very nature misleading and inaccurate, particularly to new people. Any critique that is not qualified is by its very nature a universal statement so yes, you did make a universal statement, one that cannot be supported as stated. That is why I disagreed with your initial criticism. Had you qualified your criticism as being based only on your area of the country, I would have had no issue with it. To folks who are new to this it does not "go without mention" (or it should not). In addition, as you are not privy as far as I can tell to every MSC shopping the client in question and what every assignment being done entails, then to state that they underpay is most likely inaccurate because you are basing your criticisms on incomplete information.

I am not "a defender of Maritz", however I was endeavoring to balance the negatives with the positives and explain why I have no issue with their quirks and why the way that they do business is a positive for my situation. As this site is for feedback, that is what I gave. If I disagree with a viewpoint I will do my best to explain why I disagree. I presented additional information that people who use this site in the manner in which it is intended can avail themselves of and hopefully make an informed decision. If I feel a criticism is inaccurate, misleading, or based on incomplete information I will respond to it and attempt to explain why I believe as such.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  12:02:52 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
So you overlook their "quirks" (flaws) because you like being able to self-assign and value being paid 1 week faster? Knock yourself out.

I refuse to take shops for minimal pay. In Southern California the Bank shops pay $9.50 standard for Maritz and $15 standard for RSG----FOR THE SAME EXACT SHOP SCENARIO. I know. I've done them for both. I don't care if I can self-assign for a lower wage. I want less shops for MORE pay. NOT more shops for less pay.

this is just an example

10 shops at $9.50 = $95.00
6 shops at $15 = $90

You are close to doing DOUBLE the work for nearly the same pay. Now if you can't get the scheduler to give you more than 1 or 2 on a non self-assign MSC, then that is another issue. I have not had a problem getting as many shops as I want. I just did 8 in Las Vegas over the weekend.

I don't NEED them either (more shops for less money). I have plenty of better things to do with my time than to let any MSC get over on me.

How long do you want to continue this? Seems like neither one of us will let it die.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  01:26:14 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with Karen here about the quality of Maritz's website. There have been MULTIPLE times that I have had website issues and haven't been able to enter shops on time and then it has been difficult communicating with the people over the phone that their website doesn't work.

I was actually told that they optimize the site for IE. IE?! Do I even have that on my computer anymore?

I have also run into a situation more than once where I tried to self-assign and it was broken. It took a long an involved phone call to get all my shops. Some of us are not blessed with good phone reception in our homes and it was a pain.

Will I keep working for them? Yes, I need the work they offer. Are they my favorite company to work for? Not so much.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  8:15:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

So you overlook their "quirks" (flaws) because you like being able to self-assign and value being paid 1 week faster? Knock yourself out.

I refuse to take shops for minimal pay. In Southern California the Bank shops pay $9.50 standard for Maritz and $15 standard for RSG----FOR THE SAME EXACT SHOP SCENARIO. I know. I've done them for both. I don't care if I can self-assign for a lower wage. I want less shops for MORE pay. NOT more shops for less pay.

this is just an example

10 shops at $9.50 = $95.00
6 shops at $15 = $90

You are close to doing DOUBLE the work for nearly the same pay. Now if you can't get the scheduler to give you more than 1 or 2 on a non self-assign MSC, then that is another issue. I have not had a problem getting as many shops as I want. I just did 8 in Las Vegas over the weekend.

I don't NEED them either (more shops for less money). I have plenty of better things to do with my time than to let any MSC get over on me.

How long do you want to continue this? Seems like neither one of us will let it die.

Both of us have valid points now that the feedback from both of us is specific and qualified as to pertaining to one person's experience in one area of the country. As they say "your mileage may vary". Neither opinion is any more right than the other, just different and specific to each of us - our goals, our areas, our available time, stress level, and lifestyles. That's the beauty of being independent, we can make the best decision based on all the available information for our individual situations. What's right for one person is not right for another person. Maritz is more right for me than for you. For those of us for whom it works better we take more assignments which is how it's supposed to work.

As I've said before, in my area and in my situation, how they do business works for me. Therefore, the positives outweigh the negatives. For you, it is the opposite. Fair enough. I have certain goals for doing this work and they help me attain those by the way that we operate together. Hopefully those reading the exchanges, especially those who are new to this or new to them will take away that everyone has different needs and goals and you need to weigh those factors before making a decision as to whether or not to contract with any MSC. Therefore, no criticism or praise can be "one size fits all" and all factors, not just $$ need to be considered. I liken it to the career decision I made before I left the office world - I could have made more $$ and had a fancy title but the additional work hours and stress were just not worth it. So, if I were evaluating the job just on $$ I would have made much different decisions but there were many other, non-monetary considerations that went into my choices. It worked for me but not for other people.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  8:55:53 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is really getting tiring (the debate). Micah, you seem to have some bitterness issues towards this company. I think you made your point very clear to anyone who reads this thread trying to decide if they should either continue on or apply with this company. I am looking forward to seeing something new here.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Kevin E

Green Bay, WI
USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  04:27:54 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Looking for advice to speed up the reporting on bank shops--It looks like it would be quicker to take photos of the documents than scan them, but I don't want to have to go back in and scan if they aren't able to read the numbers written on them/dates printed. What is everyone else doing (I have a two inch high stack the post office delivered over the past few days)

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Larry S
Valued Contributor

Simi Valley, CA
USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  09:45:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have always just taken photos and have never had one questioned or rejected.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
660 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  09:52:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
On any shop I do I take a photo of the receipt with my smart phone as soon as I get back in the car, then Google Drive or Dropbox it to my computer at home. That way I never have to worry about my car eating receipts which it has done in the past.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

NicLinBlue

BC
Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  11:57:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I always scan my receipts, business cards, brochure, etc., into MS Word, even if it doesn't have to be uploaded. I find it easy and, usually fast so I have made it a part of my ritual of getting ready to enter the report.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  2:48:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin E

Looking for advice to speed up the reporting on bank shops--It looks like it would be quicker to take photos of the documents than scan them, but I don't want to have to go back in and scan if they aren't able to read the numbers written on them/dates printed. What is everyone else doing (I have a two inch high stack the post office delivered over the past few days)

I used to scan but now I mostly take pictures. Occasionally they end up blurry but that is very rare. Usually I then transfer them via bluetooth to my laptop, use the picresizer tool that CORI recommended, then upload them to my report. I have opted to rename them just for my convenience but that's optional. Also, I have found that turning the inserts sideways before taking their picture leads them to be straight (not have to be rotated) when I use the file out of paint. I know that their is probably a setting in my phone to do it easier but I've been too lazy to figure it out! I'm not convinced that it's that much quicker than scanning them (mostly because my scanner is old and slow) but it does mean that I can sit in my recliner and watch TV while doing it so I prefer to do it that way.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
660 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  3:43:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I use an Android app for taking pictures called Cymera. It is free and has a grid, if you choose, so you can get the receipt straight. There is an auto brighter and then I crop it and off it goes to my computer just waiting for me when I get home. I don't have to do anything with it when I get home because I change the name when I send it through Google Drive. It only takes a few seconds to do in my car.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  4:08:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Kevin,

I know they always have the 640/480 in their guidelines, but I have never resized anything for them. Hopefully you're not wasting your time doing that. If you are, then stop. I've done 200 shops for them and never had an issue. I just upload the pics. The only time I "resize" anything is when a company has a certain capacity on file size. That is when i lower the resolution on the smart phone so the file is not so big.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Harvey S.
Star Contributor

Glen Mills, PA
USA
439 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2014 :  9:08:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I agree with Micah. I used to resize, which was time-consuming. Then I forgot and nothing was said. I stopped resizing, and have never had a complaint.

Harvey
Southeastern Pennsylvania Northern Delaware,"South" Jersey
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2014 :  6:03:11 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've not resized on some images and never had an issue. I usually resize the photos though, as it takes less time to upload to Maritz's website then. Fotosizer will resize the whole folder or however many images you have quickly.

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page

Dar-L
Star Contributor

USA
1031 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2014 :  09:00:03 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Convenience always comes at a cost.
For those of us who have to watch our data usage, resizing is a must. A 1500x2000 pic (straight out of my phone cam) uses 9 times the data transfer as a 640x480 minimum size pic.
When uploading lots of pics for an audit, this really adds up during the usage month. Using PicSizer only takes 3-4 seconds when I put all my receipt/pics in one file, have my defaults set.... 3 clicks and I'm done.
Go to Top of Page

Alan-Texas
Star Contributor

Arlington, TX
USA
544 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  3:51:46 PM  Visit Alan-Texas's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not data restricted since I use a digital camera and upload through my computer, but I do resize my pictures since they have asked us to do so. I like and use FastStone Image Viewer. Easy to use, and it allows me to rotate photos if I need to as well as move them to other folders when I'm done resizing.

Alan A.
MSPA Silver Certified
Shopping the Dallas / Ft. Worth area since 2005
Go to Top of Page

LynnPerley
Valued Contributor

Kernersville, NC
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  4:13:05 PM  Send LynnPerley an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Faststone is also good for adding date and time stamps to photos for those companies requiring that. My last old camera just bit the dust. My Canon does not include that feature. I can resize and add the date and time stamp in seconds with FastStone. Best of all, its free.

Lynn
Shopping the Piedmont Triad, NC Area
MSPA Silver # qhhkk5
Go to Top of Page

Marion
Contributor

Goochland, Virginia
USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  4:03:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Forgetting all the above comments pro and con, I must add that as a new shopper to this company I was amazed at how this company reached out to me to explain their website. Someone in the office actually walked me through, step by step, how to register and then called me after the job was done to be sure that I knew how to turn in an invoice. I don't think I have ever, in ten years of MS had such personalized help.

Marion
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan B.
Star Contributor

Smyrna, Tennessee
USA
469 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  8:22:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maritz is definitely the most personalized company that I work for. Several of the schedulers know me by name and it's like talking to an old friend when I talk to them on the phone. Sure, submitting an invoice is an extra step, but one of the large companies I work for is now requiring a receipt photo submitted in the report for some clients and then again in invoicing.

Jonathan B.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums