Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  5:34:55 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have to have cataract surgery. Most of what I have heard is that there is not much to it. I do not know of anyone who developed a problem. But since this forum is available to me and I have received a lot of valuable help, I thought I would post this to ask for your experiences if you have had any.

So, have any of you had this done. Do you have any suggestions or warnings? Any information I can get on the subject is appreciated.

Also, I have opted to only get the unifocal lens which will correct my distance vision but I will still need glasses for reading. I know of at least one person who had a lot of difficulty getting accustomed to the multi-focal lenses which correct near-intermediate-distance vision. And, even the doctor said these lenses take about six months to get used to.

Also the multi-focal lenses cost about $2200.00 each over and above insurance. If I was a lot younger and wanted to be free of glasses because I thought I would look prettier, I might spend the money. But I really don't mind glasses and actually think I look better with them.

So, what do you all have in the way of advice? Or, just tell me about your experience.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  7:20:52 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Haven't had it myself, but one buddy had both eyes done (one at a time) and had no problems. The docs were anticipating complications because he is diabetic, but there were none.

My mother-in-law had problems with the first eye, due to discovering a partially detached retina. However, the second eye had no problems at all.

Both opted for the distance vision and use glasses for reading.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Sandra Wright
Star Contributor

Arlington, VA
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  04:35:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know many seniors that have gotten this done. It seems like there were very few complications. I think the main thing is folks can't bend over or do certain activities for a few days. No extra strain I think.

Sandy C
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  05:45:08 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
In Febuary, I had both eyes done. It was the easiest, non-scary,almost complete painless surgery Ive ever had. The best experience in the world. My girl friend had had the same surgery months before, and had described it in detail to me, so I wasnt afraid. Then, my out of state residing sister had it after me, only to find the whole procedure totally differently done. She didnt experience any pain either. In my case, the surgeon recommended a better lense than what was generally prescribed,which cost $1600 for both eyes,out of pocket. The surgery was done at one of the local day surgery clinics. First eye was done Feb 3,the other eye Feb 14. There was absolutely NO pain, or unbearable discomfort. The eye drops prescribed when used as directed took care of the little bit of discomfort. Youll wear a patch over the eye overnight to prevent you from scratching the area. In my case, I could remove it the next morning. While looking in the mirror for the first time to apply the drops, you cannot imagine the shock I felt, when for the first time in MANY years, I saw how much I had aged in seconds. All those many years I had not seen a wrinkle! It was as if I aged 40 years. Wrinkles and lines Id never seen while applying makeup suddenly appeared in the mirror. My immediate shocked remark was "holy s---!!" Everything becomes crisp and clear, youll notice things immediately. In my case, I went from wearing coke bottle thick glasses for extreme far sight, 4 prisms in each lense, and eyes that didnt work together, to 20/25 vision requiring glasses only to read!After waiting 6 months, I had strabismus surgery done to straighten the right eye that had decided after 20 plus years to go out in far right field. Id had the surgery in 1975, which was very painful afterwards, and had said Id never do it again. This time, instead of operating on just the one eye, they operated on both eyes, and that scared me silly! Of course, I didnt find that out until I was in pre-op. NOw I have straight eyes that for the first time in my life that work together. I dont require glasses full time, and finally feel human again. The only bad experience Ive had, is my grandchildren saw me for the first time without glasses, and said I looked funny. Kind of surprised me, but they said "gramma, you have to remember, we only knew you wearing glasses". I have one more surgery to be done to lift my eye lids, and I should find out how soon when I go for my 6 week check up. Having the extreme far-sightedness, and the magnifying lenses, made me highly sensitive to sunlight which caused me to squint a lot which in turn caused my lids to droop. The surgeon says I will really notice a difference in my vision after that gets done. Just to update you on the differences all three of us women experienced, my girl friend now has 20/20 vision. My sister has 20/25 vision, but has to wear glasses fulltime and her eyes were nothing compared to my bad eyesight. I believe a month after her surgery she purchased prescription glasses only to have to purchase a different pair at her two month check up. In my case, I purchased my first and only pair of prescription glasses at the one month and my vision didnt change at all by the 2 month checkup. IF you can get by with over the counter reading glasses until your second checkup do it. If youre receiving SS, and have a supplemental insurance,they may pay for both sets but also may not, as there is an income clause that will decide whether or not your eligible.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  06:22:24 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jaunita, I dont know which lenses I purchased, but the surgeon described them as high definition in comparison to the usual lenses used. I havent had a bit of trouble adjusting to them. It shocks me to hear the various prices one has to pay. My sister paid 2500 for the most common lense used, and still has to wear glasses fulltime. Mine ran 1600 for the set. I had the worst vision of all 3 of us, and here I sit only having to wear glasses only when I read. My friend paid 2000 for the lenses she got, and wears no glasses whatsoever with 20/20 vision. IF you feel comfortable Id be checking around for the best price if you really want the better lenses. Every facility has their own pricing, either high or lower. You will not regret having this surgery done, youve got a bright future ahead that you will enjoy totally no matter what your decision is. As far as sedation goes, each one of the above experienced something different. My sister was awake and saw every movement and instrument, which according to her Dr., she shouldnt have. I didnt see anything, but thought I was dreaming I saw this most beautiful red kalieoscope with chrome mirrors. Later, explaining that to my surgeon, she said that was her working on my eye. The second cataract surgery, I didnt even get to experience a dream, darn. Youll be fine no matter which way your Dr prefers to perform the surgery. You wont feel any pain, and will only have a bit of discomfort after. The eye feels a little scratchy, just a bit bothersome, but not painful. I almost forgot, my brother also had the surgeries done months before, my sister and I did. He too had described the surgery and his outcome as great. I dont think you should waste any energy worrying about this because youll kick yourself after for doing so. Its normal to feel a little anxious, but youll even think that was ridiculous once its over. Youre going to absolutely love the results and enjoy life a LOT more with better vision. Wish you the best.
Go to Top of Page

DarleneH
Star Contributor

Cleveland, OH
USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  06:50:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My 83 year old mother had both eyes done last year. The warnings they have to give you scared her, but everything went fine. They did them 1 month apart, and she was so happy that everything was so much colorful and clear afterwards. Lots of her friends have had it and no one so far has had any complications. Good luck...
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  07:38:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am getting some great information which is putting me at ease and giving me some questions to ask the doctor and insurance company about the cost of the lenses. I go in tomorrow to fill out the actual paperwork and find out the exact cost to me. I know what kind of price range to be looking for.

I really don't mind just getting the unifocal lens because I will probably always wear glasses anyway even if they do not have a prescription lens in them. The reason is because my eyes are sensitive to light (partly because of medication) and I need blue tinted lenses to cut glare. So whether the tinted lenses have a plain lens or a prescription lens doesn't make a difference to me and they will look the same.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  3:15:17 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
As long as youre asking questions ask your surgeon which one would be best for you. IF he/she recommended the more expensive lense there may be a reason, if not, then your vision may well not require the more expensive lense to get the best results for your particular vision problem. Medicare paid for almost every bit of my $15000 bill and what they didnt my supplemental insurance did. The ONLY expense to me was for the better lenses, which were recommended due to my problem vision and would offer the very best vision for ME. My sister just took what was offered that Medicare would cover, and as I reported, her vision changed to 20/25 with the need only for reading glasses in the first month, and then required more prescription in her second checkup and another pair of glasses. But, Medicare paid for them I believe. I might add, in the total cost of the lenses I bought, it also included the price that the day clinic would charge for the insertion at the clinic. Dr charges for the lense and a portion of that goes to the day clinic for their fee. We longtime glasses wearers feel naked if we dont have them planted on our face, so I can relate to your feelings. Like you, I thought MAYBE I would be pretty again too, UNTIL, I saw all those wrinkles I hadnt seen before my surgery. lol.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  8:48:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
this is one eye surgery I have NOT had (I've had eight surgeries), but I do have cataracts. Problem with me is that I'm too young to get them taken out, I'm told they will just come right back. I have them because of the other surgeries I've had.

Personally I go to sleep for eye surgeries - after as many as I've had that's just my preference, because on me they always find something else wrong with me. But I've heard a lot of people say it's really easy surgery and you don't feel anything.....

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  5:03:47 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had my right eye fixed in Feburary. It took place at a day Clinic. Once I entered the pre-op area a number of things happened. I was weighed, changed into a gown, and then a bed in an area with curtains to separate individuals. A nurse came in set up an IV, and shortly after, another came in and administered an ointment to the eye. Shortly after, I was in the OR and dont remember anything after. In recovery, I had a small patch type bandage on, of course no pain whatsoever. Stayed there for an hour for the sedation to wear off and left for home where I took a nap. Next morning I took the patch off to put the eye drops prescribed in. It was then, I had the shock of my life! Getting close to the mirror to administer those drops, I aged 40 yrs in just a couple of seconds. When you have bad sight, we dont see a lot of the aging process (wrinkles, crows feet, or whatever), so it was a SHOCK because I had thought my face was aging very good. Joke was on me. When I went to the Dr that afternoon the Dr asked if I remembered anything about the surgery. I said no, but I did have a dream, or I thought it was a dream, of a beautiful redand chrome mirror type Kaliedascope, but almost as fast it ended, and I woke up. She told me that that was her working on the eye.All I ever experiencd was a bit of scratchiness, not painful, just irritating as I wanted to rub my eye. Of any surgery Ive had this was the least one to be anxious about. In Minnesota where my sister lives, she had her eyes done and was awake to see everything done. She had no pain whatsoever. Come to find out, her Dr was totally shocked to hear this as she wasnt supposed to be awake! Needless to say, when the other eye had to be done, the Dr made sure she was out like a light! Now LisaOV has had eight surgeries on her peepers, and I wonder. Did you feel any pain after any of them? I recently had muscle surgery and like the cataract surgeries, was shocked when there was no pain or discomfort other than the same scratchiness experienced. Jaunita, I do want to caution you. If your eye sight is bad and you know youll have to wear glasses afterwards, dont be too quick to buy prescription glasses. My sister bought new glasses at the 6 week check up and then her eyes changed so she had to buy another pair. She had lenses made to fit the same frame or shed have gotten stuck with the bill. One the otherhand, I dont need glasses other than to read, and have found now that Im having a little difficulty. I go back to the Dr this week and will tell her. She had assured me when I got my glasees my sight wouldnt change, but I think it has. I dont believe the optical department will stand behind them for a refund as its been more than the three months they wauranty them for replacement, so Id get stuck paying for new lenses. DarleneH brought up another good point. DONT pay too much attention to the brochures they give you describing the procedure. None of the things referenced happened. It was like they were handing out outdated material.Since we havent seen an update, you may have already had the surgery done. Were we wrong telling you not to worry about it?? Hope your vision is sharp, crisp as clear. Let us all know.
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  03:59:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, I go in 10/25 at 6:35 AM to have the surgery done. I am under the impression that I will be awake but sort of in a twilight sleep where I don't care what is going on. Also they will numb the eye.

But, I hope I am asleep. I can handle that.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  4:00:08 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You will do just GREAT!! They call it twilight, but youll be more asleep, and wont see or hear a thing. Youre going to be absolutely thrilled with the results. As Ive stated several times, DONT go getting nervous, this is the easiest non-surgery youll EVER experience. I say that because you will NOT have any pain other than a little scratchiness, which is nothing, and you may be watching tv by the time your favorite evening program comes on. I can hardly wait to hear your reaction after. When they do the other eye you may not be so lucky to get in that early and have to go without food until the next evening. Now thats pain! lol BEST WISHES
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  4:05:10 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add, the ointment they use is the numbing stuff. They say you might experience a bit of a sting, but, no one Ive talked to has had that effect.
Go to Top of Page

LisaOV
Star Contributor

MN
USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  03:57:04 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, you asked if I ever felt pain with my surgeries....and my answer is YES! Both detachments included - if I understand correctly - them taking my eye ball out of my head and putting in this buckle (I have photos of the buckle) and it's major surgery - my eye is always swollen afterwards and I'm in a lot of pain for a few weeks. The muscle surgery not so much. The last one I had was ten years ago and it wasn't bad, but my eye was swollen.

But don't go off me for this stuff....I have unusually bad eyes and they ALWAYS find something else wrong with them.....I'm for sure looking at at least two more surgeries....yes, ten eye surgeries and nothing to show for it...after the tenth one I've promised myself a spa visit somewhere....LOL

PS Judy I didn't know your sister lived in MN...maybe she and I have bumped into each other - especially after eye surgeries..LOL

EDITED: I realized that I said that they took my eye ball out of my eye...that should have been my eye out of my head....I don't think you can take the eye ball out or whatever..I don't want to even think about that...LOL
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  04:25:30 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, the reason they are letting me in early and I can have a light breakfast is because I am diabetic. I will be having this done in their day-surgery center. If I went into a hospital to have it done, which I could choose, they would not allow anything on the day of surgery, not even a sip of water. The hospitals are more strict about these things than the eye-surgery clinics. Also, at the hospital, they said I might need to be there 3-7 hours. At the clinic it will be about 2-3 hours.

As the time approaches, I am getting more anxious to get in and get it done. I will post as soon as I can about how I did. Thanks to all for your comments and experiences. And, Judy, you most of all have put me at ease by assuring me there is nothing to it and explaining the twilight sleep.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  11:17:49 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The twilight sleep is FANTASTIC! I was so hungry afterwards I could have eaten a cow! But, all I got was my choice of juice during recovery. After though, my son and I could order ANYTHING off the menu for our meal, at no cost. We took it home with us to enjoy, and the meal was excellent. This is not hospital food. I could hardly wait for the next surgery, and now this final little eyelid thing to experience another fantastic meal. You shouldnt experience a quessy(? sp.) stomach after either. Youll come out most likely a bit tired and that may not even effect you, as Ive been told my best friend, she went out for dinner with friends after and shopping.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  11:30:32 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
LisaOV, I know youve had such a horrible time with so many surgeries. It has to be very frustrating. Hopefully there is an end in sight for you, that benefits your eyesight. How is your daughter doing? The muscle surgery I had previously in 1975 and the pain was horrible. I lived in the basement for weeks as any bit of light increased the pain. I wasnt allowed to drive for 3 mohths. This last one, I was forbidden to drive only for the remainder of that day, no pain whatsoever after at all. My sister lives in Backus, MN on a lake just outside of town. I believe she went to Mnpls for her cataract surgeries. I have often wondered how you were doing as you hadnt been back to the thread you started regarding "venting" with updates. To reply, post in your thread, so we dont distract from Jaunita's, would that work for you?
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  07:47:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, the left eye was done yesterday, and thank goodness it's over. The anesthetist told me when I went in that I would be kept comfortable. But when the doctor started cutting, I could feel it. They inserted another drop to numb the eye some more but it only took off the edge a bit. Once I felt a sharp pain that was so bad I yelled. The nurse asked if she should drop in some more and the doctor said I was okay. He was about finished.

The sedative did not work at all. After the surgery I realized this is why I probably felt so much pain. It was because I was fully awake and alert. I just laid with my fists clenched to get through the 15 minutes or so that it took.

I could see the instrument used to pull out the old lens. I could tell when he put the new lens in and could see him adjusting it. It was horrible.

Afterward I complained at the clinic about it and today I complained again at the doctor's office and to the doctor. Apologies galore of course. But I told them they will not touch my eye at the next surgey until I am sedated and can feel that I am sedated. I knew I would not be asleep but I was supposed to be relaxed and really not care what they did. Baloney! I guess I should have started screaming and got their attention more than I did. I was trying to be brave and be a good patient.

The good news is my visiion in my left eye went from -475 to 20/15. I have excellent distance and intermediate vision and my near vision is better than before. I just might not have to wear glasses at all.

The pressure is up in my eye from 15 to 28 which is not good. He gave me some drops for that and I go back in a week.

Otherwise, there is no pain or scratchiness or anything. I feel great.

Judy, I was so comfortable about going to have this done because of your reassurances. And even a lady I talked to at the doctor's office right before surgery said it was a breeze. She said I wouldn't feel a thing. So I know I am an isolated case. I am really glad I did not know what I would go through becuase I probably would not have had it done or I would have insisted on being sound asleep. And if they can't do better next time, I will be asleep.

And, also Judy, you were right about the lines and wrinkles. I aged 20 years.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
Star Contributor

Philadelphia, PA
USA
274 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  09:24:49 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry your surgery scared you, Juanita. I've had "twilight sleep" for several procedures and I experienced the pain each time. Apparently it is because of the usual medications I take which had increased my tolerance for sedatives.
Since my "lack of twilitght sleep" has happened several times now I make sure that the surgeon is aware that I have a high tolerance for sedation and different medications are used. If a doctor "poo poos" my experiences I find another doctor! Many people will try to insist that they need more sedation because they fear they will experience pain. Make sure (as you have) to tell the doctors that you have undergone procedures with twilight sedation before and it had been unsuccessful in keeping you comfortable!
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  09:44:20 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sheila, it might have been a type of sedation that does not work on me. Or maybe they overshot the vein. I bled a lot when they put in the IV. It was running down the chair. If it missed the vein, I am sure it would not have had any effect on me.

As far as I can remember, there was only one other time that I did not feel sedation. But it didn't matter much because eventually I would be put completely to sleep. So the fact that I was not completely relaxed right before I passed out didn't matter.

I have made it clear to the doctor that he will not touch my eye until I am aware that a relaxation drug is entering my system. I know how it should feel. I should have said something this time and didn't but I thought the drug would be administered just as he began the surgery. It was when he began, and I felt the pain, that I started saying things like, "I can feel that" or "That hurts" but I think the doctor thought I was "talking in my sleep." I thought the problem was that my eye was not numb enough and did not think about the sedation. If I was loopy enough, pain would also be more tolerable. Today he said something like, "the sedation can sometimes distort reality" insinuating that maybe I was not really in pain but just semi-dreaming that I was. I set him straight and was able to describe every procedure that took place during the surgery.

Anyway, I feel confident things will be better next time.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  11:13:36 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
OMG! I cant believe you went through this with that kind of awareness. Id have screamed my head off for them to DO SOMETHING! I would DEFINITELY look for a different surgeon, there is no ryhme or reason for what you were put through. They had anthesiologist present, didnt they? WHY in H, didnt he make the decision to put you completely out? Apologies dont do a darn thing to change what you went through, plain and simple.That pain was totally inexcusable! Im furious, can you tell? Also, their definition of twilight sleep is totally different than what the majority of us would call what you had. I wonder why we're told the eye itself feels no pain, because it is quite evident you felt, and saw everything. I am extremly sorry you had such a bad experience.After reading ShielaC comment, it made me wonder if your being a diabetic, they had to go with less pain and sedation because of the disease. Here, I was so anxious to hear the possitive remarks youd have, I never, and I mean NEVER expected to read the horifying experience. The Dr that performed your surgery, I would assume was a specialist in surgery, wasnt he? Now the big question, how soon do they want you to come in for the other eye to be done? Having gone through this experience, I can bet you arent looking forward to it. I only had to wait two weeks.(feb 3 and Feb 14th) Even that kallidoscope dream(?)I had was not supposed to have seen. Also, while in there, unbeknownst to me, but I must have told them my life history, even that I have a dog, shop quite a bit on ebay, etc., as in recovery the nurse asked me all about these things. The second surgery, I was told they had to stop, because I had the team laughing so hard when I explained the incident where I looked in the mirror the first time and saw how fast I had aged in that 2 seconds.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums