Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 "Mystery Diners" - TV show about Mystery Shopping?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Previous Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BekkiCat
Star Contributor

Charlotte, NC
USA
291 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  5:46:20 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You gotta know that it is all contrived. Everyone whose face is allowed to be shown has to sign a waiver/agreement/whatever before being aired on TV. Haven't seen anyone being arrested yet

Bekki
Gold-certified
Undercover Essentials video-certified
Go to Top of Page

KenASch
Star Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
671 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  6:38:22 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nina Gonzalez

Hi all,

We wanted to send you a brief update here regarding our new television series on mystery shopping called ďMystery DinersĒ. Business Evaluation Services {our company} is the host company of the new show, and the first episode will be airing on May 25th on the Food Network channel.

This is an exciting time for our industry as this new show will bring national attention to the mystery shopping industry as a whole. This type of exposure will bring a positive awareness to our industry which in turn will mean a great deal more businessís will be seeking to hire mystery shopper companies to help them with their businessís, which in turn will mean more work for you.

We are asking that you support the show and industry by putting the season premiere episode on your calendar and your DVRís and that you tell your friends and family to watch as well.

BES is excited to be part of this show, and helping all MSPís and mystery shoppers receive recognition and increased work.

You can see the episode promotions on the Food Network channel as well as by going to the following link and watching the trailer.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=mystery+diners&fnSearchType=site

I have emailed Nina and asked her to post here whether or not the employees in this show are real and if the situations are staged. I did search on the Internet and IMDB shows that the mystery diners are actually actors and they even list some of their credits.

Ken S
Gold Shopper
Shopping Ventura County California
Go to Top of Page

Kimberley
Valued Contributor

Columbus, Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  06:45:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I hate that shows like this give the general public (and employees of shopped clients) the wrong idea about mystery shopping and what we do.

Kimberley
Route shopper with PV500 & backup rig.
Shopping since 2004 * MSPA Silver * Undercover Essentials * IMSC
Go to Top of Page

John Mystique Shopper

Clermont, Florida
USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  4:45:45 PM  Visit John Mystique Shopper's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
These shows are going to continue with or without our support. I personally know the people involved with this show are trying to keep the integrity in tact as much as possible while still making fun entertainment. At least they are hiring industry people rather than all actors having no industry involvement.
I agree that it can be misleading compared to the regular mystery shopping we are all used to. Some of these shows are not "mystery shopping", but rather stings of sorts.
Let's face it though - complete real life may be boring, so they look at ways to spice it up.

John Saccheri
Mystique Shopper LLC
www.MystiqueShopper.com
Go to Top of Page

David Richard
Valued Contributor

Providence, Rhode Island
USA
192 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  7:17:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have seen a few shows, including the one where "the bartender told the customer the credit card machine was broken so that she could steal cash and then invite a bunch of friends after closing to drink for free? On top of that, she goes to the bathroom with a guy for 15 minutes"

Is it for real? Well, the show is not about mystery shopping at all. It is really a private investigation company that gets hired to discover what goes on when the owner/manager is away. For example, in the above described show, the owner hires the TV show to investigate a loss of $4k a month in bar receipts. They target a particular bartender and to do this set up cameras with audio pickups all throughout the restaurant. They send in a "shopper" as a new employee and then send in "shoppers" as customers. The "shoppers" are there to see if the target will do inappropriate things and they set up scenarios to see if the target will take the bait.

The owner is watching what goes on in a "Control Center." This room has monitors showing the audio and video from the restaurant. After a while, the target is brought to the "Control Center" and confronted with their inappropriate behavior and fired. Then, like a good reality show, the fired employee gets to say his or her peace before the show ends.

I'm disappointed a MSP is promoting this as a show about mystery shopping.

Happily shopping
Rhode Island and nearby Massachusetts.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Star Contributor

Atlanta, GA
USA
50242 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  1:26:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Richard

I'm disappointed a MSP is promoting this as a show about mystery shopping.

Yes, it definitely is not mystery shopping. There was another show on TV that had the exact same premise. I cannot remember the name of it, but the guy who hosted it was stocky and bald.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2854 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  3:06:05 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I would think a show that would be more entertaining and accurate would be if someone took the stories written here in a few of the threads about worst experiences or ten-foot-pole and used them as scenes in a comedy about a mystery shopper. Forget the attempts to make give it a documentary feel. Just find humor in the stupid stuff we encounter in real life. When it is not happening to you, it might prove to be pretty funny--and it wouldn't give the industry nearly as bad a reputation as this show does.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MegMD

MD
USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  11:06:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just watched this horrible show again by accident......oh my gosh. Between the faked "caughtcha" and the fake acting, I'm am horrified this thing is still on the air. I'm not talking acting by the mystery shop but the 'servers' too. I don't think the 'owners' are legit either. stinks all around.
Go to Top of Page

AngelaN
Valued Contributor

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  10:28:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Wow, just wasted an hour of my life after someone's suggestion to search YouTube for Mystery Shopping, lol. It was slightly entertaining though ..
Go to Top of Page

Susan L
Star Contributor

Westchester County, New York
USA
257 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2013 :  11:14:32 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
They call the show Mystery "Diners," not Mystery "Shoppers." And they refer to the people they send in for the stings "mystery diners." So our profession is safe.

Even though some of the mystery diners might be actors, I would not expect that to be unusual for mystery shopping (the standard we are comparing this show to) in certain parts of the country. I know several actors who are mystery shoppers in the NYC area and I believe some acting skills are necessary for mystery shopping or mystery dining. I would not expect entertainment meccas like Miami, Las Vegas or anywhere in California to be much different than NYC concerning the availability of actors who have day jobs of all kinds--including mystery whatever.

There is another show on Food Network with a similar premise, except instead of an investigation firm based in California, an actual restauranteer from NYC, Willie Degel, works as a consultant to restaurants primarily in the NYC metro area. He owns Uncle Jack's Steakhouse chain and Jack's Shack all-natural eatery in NYC. The focus seems to be on correcting and improving employee performance, not firing miscreants (like on the Mystery Diners show).

Susan L.
Go to Top of Page

Carl25782
Contributor

The Woodlands, Texas
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  05:19:57 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input and I agree. The one or two little blurbs I watched while flipping channels didn't look like anything I have been doing for 8 years now.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
303 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  05:37:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just watched the episode about R&O in "New Orleans." They kept showing the exterior as being in Jackson Square where another restaurant, "Stanley" is. Made me curious. I had not heard of this restaurant and knew it was not located where they kept showing it to be. Looked it up and found that it is not even in New Orleans but Metairie, a whole different town! WTH? Why the exterior (multiple!)shots of Jackson Square? This one is way cheesier than Restaurant Stakeout. I like Willie much better.

Linda
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
414 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  12:23:56 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have several friends that have been on reality TV shows and from what they tell me, there is nothing real about anything that they do. One contestant was on Master Chef. Out of all of us cooking friends, we thought she would be the best person to go eye to eye with Gordon Ramsey. She might have to stand on a box first since she is only 4' 11" but she could do it! She didn't make the cut since she didn't have a sob story background. No spouse she was nursing back to health after an illness or accident, no personal tragedy that could grab viewers attention, etc.

The other friends were on a GSN show called Beat the Chefs. Every single second was scripted and staged.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Got the Gold in Grapevine! (July 2007)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ģ Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums