Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Frugality, Sweeps, Freebies, Ways to Make $
 Frugal Living
 alternative to cable tv - hook up computer to my tv?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  2:58:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am looking how to hook up my computer to my tv and watch my shows that way instead of paying for cable. They almost shut off my cable for $1.04 balance. There are ways to do this cheaply and I am seriously going to think about it. Does anyone here watch tv on their computer and how do you do that please?

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  04:32:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Our computer is hooked in with the cable so we do occasionally watch a movie on the computer screen. I would think to do so without cable would require a satellite dish, since the days of just putting up rabbit ears are at an end. You have to have some way to get the signal.

As I am not the most techno-savvy person around, I am betting someone else with more knowledge will be a lot more helpful!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  12:57:46 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I know you can get the set top digital boxes that replaced rabbit ears for broadcast TV. I personally watch all my TV on hulu.com and on individual station (like USA, TBS, etc) channels. We don't have a TV in the house at all.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1645 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  4:08:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I think I will go with Hulu Plus. There is nothing on tv anyways unless I want to pay $80 a month for cable. I would rather read.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  12:53:53 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, My son hooks his computer up to our 60" tv in the livingroom and we watchthe movies on the TV, no need to strain your eyes watching a computer screen.
Also, there are cheaper means of getting programs than Cable. Do a search for FREE satellite. For the price of a receiver you can get up to 10,000 channels. You do need to get ahold of a satellite dish from someone though, if you dont have one already. Some people will give them away that had DISH or another provider. Look for the dish that has the double prong center lobe as they provide the best reception. The only PROBLEM IS weather will at times interfere with reception on some channels. Also, if considering this means of getting away from Cable, research the various receivers available as some ARE better than others. Receivers can be purchased online in the auction site eBay.
Go to Top of Page

TinaKing
Star Contributor

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  8:30:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We bought the Roku streamer at walmart. It was 34.99 the cheapest one and love it
Go to Top of Page

Kathie Rost
Contributor

Murrieta, CA
USA
61 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  4:31:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can stream from Hulu, Amazon,youtube, or Netflix on the new Google Chromecast (about $35.) You use your computer, phone, or tablet as the "remote", and it uses very little power to stream, you can do other things on the devices at the same time. It's fabulous!

Kona Kathie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums