Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarah Ahmad

Folsom, California
USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  9:33:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I will be doing a bank account shop soon. I have to open an account but the bank is 10-15 miles from my home. What reason can I give the banker about why I want to open an account at their bank so far from my home?

Shopping Sacramento and vicinity and loving it!

Cilla
Star Contributor

MD
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  06:13:53 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You can say that it is convenient to your place of work, or that you are moving into that neighborhood.

Cilla
MSPA Gold Certified 2005
IMSC Certified 2009
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  06:21:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I almost always say that I work in the area a lot. Sometimes they will ask what I do and I say that I am in sales.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Barbara
Valued Contributor

New Jersey
USA
118 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  09:40:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How about I am married and I need to keep the money in this account a secret from my husband(getting a divorce maybe?)
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2012 :  7:52:26 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I don't mean this to sound harsh, but why you want to open an account is your business not the bankers. "Because I want to" is really the only reason you need. I have opened plenty and have never been asked why I open the account where I do. Unless you live in an area where people never leave their neighborhoods, 10-15 miles from your home is not that far. I think overthinking it and thinking you need a reason to do business wherever you want to do business will get you into trouble because you won't seem natural (I am assuming that you're doing this for a shop). Just open the account and don't make a big deal out of it and you won't need any other reason than because you want to. Face it, the bankers are salespeople and probably earning commission, so all they will care about is that you want to open an account and what type, not why you are opening it wherever you do. Most of the time people use ATMs anyway, so the location of t he specific branch is not really much of an issue.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

JuneRM
Valued Contributor

Plymouth, WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  10:29:13 AM  Visit JuneRM's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I have opened several accounts at different branches and then close some so that I don't get charged fees. I usually say I am starting a new business. I have had four checking accounts at one bank at one time.
If they ask why I am closing the account, I say the business isn't starting yet and I will open the account again once we get to the point of opening or doing the business online.

June Raeder-MacKinnon
junerss@gmail.com
Independent Scheduler
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  12:44:21 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Karen, I agree that it is none of the bank's business why we are opening the account or why we are opening it at the particular place we are. I have never had a bank ask, "Why are you opening the account here when you live so far away?" but I have had them say something like, "Is there a particular reason why you chose our branch?" I think that is a logical question especially if there are 20 branches in between where I live and where the bank is located.

That is why I have told them that it is because I work in the area or sometimes that I have just heard nice things about their branch.

In fact, I did a lot of bank shops where I had to inquire about a checking account but not open one. When I finally did open an account, I went to the one bank I liked the most and it happened to be about 25 miles away.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

KarenMSW
Valued Contributor

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  8:19:45 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JuanitaJ

Karen, I agree that it is none of the bank's business why we are opening the account or why we are opening it at the particular place we are. I have never had a bank ask, "Why are you opening the account here when you live so far away?" but I have had them say something like, "Is there a particular reason why you chose our branch?" I think that is a logical question especially if there are 20 branches in between where I live and where the bank is located.

That is why I have told them that it is because I live in the area or sometimes that I have just heard nice things about their branch.

In fact, I did a lot of bank shops where I had to inquire about a checking account but not open one. When I finally did open an account, I went to the one bank I liked the most and it happened to be about 25 miles away.

Maybe that's one of the quirks of living in a large metro area where most people drive. Travelling up to an hour to do things is not really a big deal. I've visited branches in about a 60 mile radius and have never been asked why I stopped there, the branches that I used to open accounts have been up to 1/2 hour away from my home. The banker just wanted my business, he really didn't care why I chose that location. Frankly, since few people (at least that I am aware of) live and work less than 30 miles apart, why someone visits a branch a distance from their home is not even a question that would be asked.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Ahmad

Folsom, California
USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  5:18:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I shopped two in the same day and, sure enough, was asked for a reason. They bring it up into conversation, nonchalantly. The other two I did where I did not have to open up a bank account, I was also asked. It was great to have an answer ready instead of sitting there squirming and making them think there was something wrong. Thanks all, for the help!

Shopping Sacramento and vicinity and loving it!
Go to Top of Page

Suzette Drake
Contributor

Orangevale, CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:36:07 PM  Visit Suzette Drake's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sarah,
I would also like to suggest that you ask your scheduler for input. When you are doing a mystery shopping job for a particular company that has experience with that client, often your scheduler can help you with your scenario.

Suzette Drake, Field Research Director
Sales Quality Group (SQG)

Suzette Drake, Field Research Director
SQG, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Baker
Valued Contributor

Evansville, IN
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  10:33:23 PM  Visit Ms.Baker's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Ahmad

I will be doing a bank account shop soon. I have to open an account but the bank is 10-15 miles from my home. What reason can I give the banker about why I want to open an account at their bank so far from my home?

Hi there...

Convenience is always the reason for opening an account in another city and/or state.

It is more convenient because you work in the area, travel through the area, there is an ATM you plan on using, ....

I did bank shops in another state and said I was planning to move into the area to be closer to my brother/son/daugher...

Sometimes I need another account to share with my grandchild for savings/eduation/college.

If given an option, I opt for opening a CD account... they always take less time, and there's less variance in the terminology.

BTW... my most used account is 150 miles from my home. I have had that account for 28 years and intend to keep that as my primary account. I have a local account (four blocks) and an account with two national banks which the closest branches area over 20 miles away.

f

Shopping the Tri-State area
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  11:39:06 AM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KarenMSW

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but why you want to open an account is your business not the bankers.
I had to open a new account this week and when I was asked where I worked, I knew he meant the name of the business, but my reply was "In town." He got the point and did not ask any more stupid questions.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Baker
Valued Contributor

Evansville, IN
USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  08:28:00 AM  Visit Ms.Baker's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
I had to open a new account this week and when I was asked where I worked, I knew he meant the name of the business, but my reply was "In town." He got the point and did not ask any more stupid questions.

I wish there was a way to just "like" responses.

Shopping the Tri-State area
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  11:33:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm not understanding why shoppers would open an account for the princely sum of $60 when Chase keeps sending out $300-$500 offers to open new ones. These are not just for me; they come in the ValPak that goes to every household. What is the rationale behind taking a mystery shop for these for so much less?

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  6:12:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, Chase offers those deals. But once you get the bonus, you cannot keep opening new accounts to get that bonus again. Read the fine print at the Chase site.

https://www.chase.com/checking/chase-coupon

What's wrong with $60 for the bank that Warren Buffet holds a large stake in? Those are easy shops. I've done 3. You can close the account and then open another one after awhile. The bank isn't paying the bonus, so the bank doesn't care.

There is another company offering more than $100 per bank and even higher for Spanish or Chinese speakers. They pay for checking, savings, credit cards. You can make out quite well as a family if you do it and have your spouse do it as well. My kids are too young or I would have them do it too.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  07:26:10 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My excuse was that I wanted to open a college savings account for my young niece and needed a location close to my sister so that she could access the account as well eventually.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  10:05:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's wrong with $60 for the bank that Warren Buffet holds a large stake in? Those are easy shops.

One thing that's wrong is that there is a $250 bonus for Wells Fargo right now (ends 3/3) for new checking accounts. So these three recently opened accounts could have yielded you $750 instead of $180.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these account openings are less about the CSR than about showing x new accounts opened this year. But I'm cynical...

Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  01:34:09 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi Julie_WA_Writer,

You might be right about the bonus on the Buffet bank, however, I am already an existing customer with them as well. So no bonus for me. I can open additional checking/savings accounts for the $60 each.

Thank you for trying to help, but you assumed incorrectly that I am eligible for a bonus. If there was a way, I would have already figured it out. I'm a software engineer. I am paid to think logically and figure out solutions and angles to situations.

I don't mind the $60 shop pay for a bank I already have a relationship with. I prefer the other Buffet Bank that pays much more (that I also have accounts with). Either way, it's still very much worth doing these shops as the time involved is not that much and the pay is much better than doing most retail shops that take just as long (if not longer).

Micah
Go to Top of Page

SandyKMac
Contributor

Dallas, TX
USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  10:42:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I needed a new account anyway to keep funds separate. I had an account with another bank that had been bought out by this one, but I closed it since I didn't need it at the time. The original account was opened in order to do monthly shops with that bank.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  7:46:02 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Micah, Ath has some shops that you might be interested in.

Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Star Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2017 :  9:12:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I'm aware of what ATH offers. It used to be better. They have restricted rotation quite harshly and LOWERED pay as well. I still will do them, but I prefer later in the month when the fees climb back up.

Micah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums