Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  07:58:28 AM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know anything about this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57466849-501465/thousands-may-lose-internet-on-july-9/

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  2:14:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
First I've heard of it. And I have to wonder about the legitimacy of the story. A great way to pull folk into a scam is to tell them you are trying to protect them from a scam.

And the number of potentially infected computers seems pretty small for a world-wide problem. I would have expected something in the millions or tens of millions.

Makes me think of the Y2K virus we all heard about and never experienced. I realize I may just being cynical. Somethimes cynical is a good thing.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  3:35:37 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
The threat IS very real! You can go to: www.dcwg.org ( this is a government site)to get the easy to understand directions to check if your computer has been infected. Be sure do it BEFORE Monday though. IF your machine is infected the scan will tell you and provide the fix you need. I printed out the directions in April and finally did the procedure to check today.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  3:41:42 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanane, there WERE millions of computers affected but, the majority have already performed the tasks to get the virus fixed leaving only several hundred thousand left. During the process of checking, there is no scan. You input information just to check what your DNS settings are on your computer, then compare yours to those on a list provided. IF your DNS numbers arent on the list youre okay to go. IF your numbers are on the list a fix is supplied.
Go to Top of Page

SJones
Star Contributor

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  04:47:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's real. Most computers used today are not infected to begin with or have been treated by antivirus software installed by the user. But you would be surprised how many people use the internet unprotected or never update their protection software. There might really be people where it still could be on their computer.

Susanne
MSPA Silver Certified!
Go to Top of Page

PamInCa
Star Contributor

CA
USA
6556 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  9:59:09 PM  Visit PamInCa's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Here is a link with updated information on this.
http://www.technewsdaily.com/4527-doomsday-virus-dns-changer-isps.html

PamInCa
Author of: "The Essential Guide to Mystery Shopping"
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  04:42:05 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Apparently we didn't have it on our work or home computers. At least nothing is acting any more wonky than usual. And we've never been contacted by the ISP that there is a problem. The articles I've seen have all indicated our provider sent out letters to notify customers they had identified.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  04:46:59 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
GOOGLE News also reported this same information in their Sunday report. Related to this problem people have been reporting they have been receiving unwanted calls from an 888 number selling anti-virus protection. For the heck of it, I did a search on the number I VERY rudely stopped once the man answered my Hello. Im on the no-call list and it ticked me off! It seems because we scanned our machine for the virus, it gave solicitors the opportunityto TRY and sell us their products.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums