Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Mystery Shopping
 Why do Shoppers not want to go to Boston Logan Airport?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CSEJulie

Annapolis, MD
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  12:10:31 PM  Visit CSEJulie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
CSE has been attempting to recruit shoppers to conduct shops at Boston Logan Airport for multiple clients with little response. We have been attempting to get Shoppers Badged in order to do ongoing evaluations. Why do shoppers not want to go to Boston Logan Airport?
We look forward to all of your responses.

Thank you,
Julie
Julie@CustomerServiceExperts.com

Julie Posner
Coordinator, Measurement Services
Customer Service Experts

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2883 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  3:39:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Does your company offer the same project at other airports with more positive results? If so, what are the major differences between this location and others? I'm unfamiliar with Boston Logan, but these possibilities come to mind:

Is it off the beaten path? If so, the fee may not be worth the drive for many people. It may help if you can find a way to bundle the shop with a couple of others close by and offer them together to one shopper.

Do the potential shoppers know what they have to do to become Badged? (I sure don't) Do they know that you are willing to help them? If the process is time consuming, will they be compensated for their time? If there is a fee they have to pay, will they be reimbursed? Just knowing the answers to this type of queston would help me decide whether to give a new type shop a try.

Is this particular location difficult to negotiate? I've never done an airport shop, but I have certainly flown a lot--and there are some places I would never choose to go if I didn't have to. O'Hare comes to mind. Parking is difficult and expensive. Once you finally accomplish that, finding where you need to be always takes longer than you anticipated. And I don't remember ever going there when there wasn't some type of construction going on that caused bottlenecks either while driving or while walking inside the building. I would require a large bonus to put myself through that.

Don't know if this is helpful, but those are the thoughts that come to mind.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

KarenS
Valued Contributor

Arizona
USA
104 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  6:17:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Having relatives in Boston and flown in and out of Logan for the last 25 years, here's my two cents.

Because of the location of Logan (in Boston Harbor), the volume (busiest airport in New England) and the "Big Dig" (most expensive highway project in the US) getting to and from Logan is expensive and time consuming.

I think LAX, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, JFK and LaGuardia are still easier and faster than Logan.

My guess is that your compensation isn't high enough to cover the time and cost of getting back and forth to the airport. I'd do a shop for you at the Sarasota, Florida airport for $10 but you'd have to cover at least 3 hours of commuting time and transportation expenses (shuttle bus, car and/or subway) before I'd do a shop at Logan.

I'm looking forward to seeing responses from our New England shoppers.

Best wishes and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

David Richard
Valued Contributor

Providence, Rhode Island
USA
198 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  6:18:49 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It's just not worth it, Julie.

I live in the area and have considered airport shops at both Logan and also Green airport in Rhode Island. When one considers the unpredictable traffic jams and fees for parking and tolls in addition to the normal time and effort of doing the shops themselves, a trip to Logan airport is a time consuming process. The airport itself has several terminals in different buildings, which can make getting around even more time consuming. The shop fees are low and the added time and expense of becoming badged is a significant barrier. From what I have read on the forums, this process is time consuming, expensive and is not transferable to any other airport. In addition, acquiring a badge is not a guarantee for shop assignments.

For those reasons, I have chosen to not do post-security airport shops when not traveling.

I would reconsider if I could get paid to get badged and the fees were more reasonable for the time required.

Good luck.

Happily shopping
Rhode Island and nearby Massachusetts.
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  04:49:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I grew up 50 miles south of Boston. Whenever we had to fly somewhere, we always found Logan much too difficult to maneuver into and out of. We'd always opt to drive to Providence and use Green airport.

Would CSE consider sending one of their own employees to try to do one of these at Logan??? Then they'd get a first hand experience of what we are trying to convey....it's not worth it!!

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

CSEJulie

Annapolis, MD
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  12:32:51 PM  Visit CSEJulie's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
When shoppers do Airport shops for CSE they are fully reimbursed for all parking and toll expenses.
We also group the shop list by location so you are only shopping in one Terminal.
Regarding shop pay, what could we do to make these evaluations worth your time?

Julie Posner
Coordinator, Measurement Services
Customer Service Experts
Go to Top of Page

JennStall
Apprentice

Boston, MA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  4:57:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I looked over the email today and after reading that I'd have to go to the airport three times just for the badging process, need to be available for three different shifts and have to make a two year commitment, I hit the delete button. Maybe if you paid people for the time involved in getting badged you'd get more interest. It still isn't something I'd do though because of the two year commitment.

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

John MrBeth
Valued Contributor

Mount Laurel, NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  10:52:35 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Julie,
Most of us weigh the time and convenience involved:
Reading the guidelines (usually multiple times) time not covered by MSC
Printing out materials-cost not covered by MSC
Driving to the event-time not covered by the MSC
Making notes-Time not covered by the MSC
Driving home-Time not covered by the MSC
Then finally doing the report; and if they have narratives.... more time!
Most airports require lengthy, out of the way, drives. Not to mention lengthy (read time consuming) walks inside the airport. Shops that are spread out in different terminals.
Sometimes there are multiple shops (especially restaurants) with similar or even the same name. Some airport maps are not very detailed.
I did this a couple of times at an Airport (not Logan); too time consuming for the reimbursement.

John
Southern NJ
Professional Couple
Both Gold Certified
Go to Top of Page

KenASch
Star Contributor

Camarillo, CA
USA
676 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  12:31:39 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Julie,

There is a USO at this airport located in Terminal C. USO's are staffed by volunteers. Perhaps you could recruit one or more of the volunteers to become mystery shoppers. It might be a tough sell with a cold call or letter but worth a chance. Since they are already at the airport they could be interested. If they have never mystery shopped before there would be some training necessary. USO's are also located at many of the other major airports in the U.S.

Ken S
Gold Shopper
Shopping Ventura County California
Go to Top of Page

MichaelinNH
Star Contributor

New Hampshire
USA
487 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  09:11:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Logan is easier then in past years, but still a PITA. Parking can be a challenge and at certain times of the year it seems the garage is full or near full and you drive in circles trying to find a spot, even when you are getting reimbursed for parking. Additionally, the last couple times I was there it seemed like the temporary police and construction signs forced you to use the tunnel or get pushed out to I-90 even if you never had an intent to go there. Just too much unpredictability a lot of times. Pre-9/11 I used to be able to do a bunch of donut shops and maybe another 15-20 shops in a 6 hour span there. Now, can't really consider blocking off the amount of time that would be required to do a similar number of shops.

MSPA Gold 8/9/2006 MSPA Silver 6/23/2007
Video Shopper Certified 6/9/2011 NV Workcard R-061144. Shopping 50 States, Puerto Rico & Canada.
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Valued Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  12:04:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anyone else find it funny that the "experts" have NO idea why they can't get shoppers to do their assignments? Perhaps they are NOT the experts they claim to be. I've done a few of these assignments in Seattle and found them to be a waste of time. I was already in that airport so I was killing time. I can't imagine having to fight to get somewhere to do these. I'm sure there is someone desperate enough to do it though.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2883 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  1:18:00 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
When someone asks for our help, and we criticize them, they are not encouraged to ask us again in the future. If we honestly try to help them understand something from our viewpoint, that provides them with increased knowledge which will make our jobs easier in the future.

I don't recall the original poster ever claiming to be an expert. It seems the poster admitted to not understanding a situation and asking the shoppers to provide feedback that would make it easier for the company to make an offer we will like better next time.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

NinaNY
Contributor

Westchester County, NY
USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  1:23:50 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

Anyone else find it funny that the "experts" have NO idea why they can't get shoppers to do their assignments? Perhaps they are NOT the experts they claim to be. I've done a few of these assignments in Seattle and found them to be a waste of time. I was already in that airport so I was killing time. I can't imagine having to fight to get somewhere to do these. I'm sure there is someone desperate enough to do it though.

Desperation doesn't enter in to it. I actually enjoy the airport circuit shops and try to do as many as I can. Now I have also done them when I was traveling and found that to be a bit too hectic, expecially if there's a security delay. But the circuit shops are among my favorites. I have also found CSE's staff to be a pleasure to work with.

That said, I've never had occasion to visit Logan and it's a bit too far out of my way to go for an airport circuit. Judging from what those local to Logan have written on this thread I can understand the reluctance. To me there's nothing worse than dealing with a huge amount of traffic and stress, knowing that I still have hours of detailed reports waiting to be written when I finally do get back home.

Nina
Silver & Gold certified. Shopping the Tri-State & wherever else my two wheels take me...
Go to Top of Page

MicahPage
Valued Contributor

Norwalk, CA
USA
184 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  2:13:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, I never claimed that Julie said she was an expert. It is a joke on their name customer service EXPERTS.

I guess you just didn't get it. I think it's funny the business calls themselves that, but then has to ask what they're doing wrong and getting no one to shop a particular location.

Everything boils down to money. If the price is right, someone will do it. Obviously the price is NOT good enough to get someone to do it.

Micah
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
2883 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  5:59:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For me it doesn't always boil down to money. There are shops that I will never do, no matter what the fee. There are others that I enjoy so much that the fee is an extra bonus that I get for shopping a place where I was going, anyway. I haven't reached the stage where I would gladly pay to do a shop, though, no matter how much I enjoy it.

From what I have read here, the traffic situation would make me turn tale and run, no matter the fee. As would all the work involved to become elegible to do the shop, unless that were recompensed.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

AnnaZ
Valued Contributor

Burlington, MA
USA
230 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  9:50:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is not about the airport but because Boston is an expensive city and the fee offered for these shops is too low, especially when the report is extremely long, repetitive, and every single question had to be addressed on the writeup. (The problem does not appear to be with the client because CSE requires similar style on all their reports, however, we have observed that when a client moves to a new company, they adopt an easier report format that is a breeze. It is interesting that even a restaurant client who moved to a MS company that is notorious for requiring extensive writing, their reports have actually become much easier than when the client used CSE.) Then there are the editors that at least some of them just find problems in the report that were clearly addressed but not answered verbatim as asked in the question. I can do a golden arch for triple the amount that each airport shop pays and the report is a breeze. The other MS company that does airport shops pays double the amount and the reports are 10 minutes each.
Go to Top of Page

CorrieS
Star Contributor

Briarwood, NY
USA
932 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  10:01:28 AM  Send CorrieS an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MicahPage

I think it's funny the business calls themselves that, but then has to ask what they're doing wrong and getting no one to shop a particular location.

I actually thought it was commendable that they are asking. It tells them whether they need to up their price, or suggest modifications to their client, or recruit more shoppers in the area, etc. I wish more MS companies would do this.

Corrie S.
MSPA Silver Certified
shopping NYC & Nassau County... and willing to travel...
Go to Top of Page

Bob Engleman
Valued Contributor

Dayton, OH
USA
212 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  08:38:17 AM  Visit Bob Engleman's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
My comment doesn't directly relate to the question.

I've only completed one assignment for this MSC; it was a phone shop paying $12 and the fee arrived in 4 dys.

I was badged for the Cincinnati, Oh. airport and can state the procedure was both expensive and time consuming. In addition, after completing the shops for 4 quarterly cycles, I decided the time and effort was too extensive to continue.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1783 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  11:30:08 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ken, I think the USO is a great idea.

One other reason is post-security. Depending upon the airport, the waits can be long and the patdowns extremely invasive (we don't do naked scanners). Frankly, no amount of money could convince me to do a post-security LAX shop. [We've converted to LGB, even with the extra drive.]

Even for an "easy" trip to the airport, you have to figure in the frustration factor. For $100, would you rather fight traffic and hassle for a few airport shops, or make a route of 5-minute gas or bank shops? Don't know many that would choose the airport.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mike Krieger
Star Contributor

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  1:46:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
+1 on not being worth it for the money offered. I can drive 50 minutes to the airport which will likely take 1.5 each way after traffic. The only other choice is paying $22.50 all in to take a 45 minute trip each way on the commuter rail and then pay another $4 round trip (maybe only $2 as I hear a rumor they let people on public transit for free at Logan Airport but it's tough to believe but I could be wrong) for another 30 minute trip each way. Then, with the hassle and time involved with security, I'm just not getting an acceptable return even with a string of 10 shops at $10 each. If public transit fares get reimbursed (including the $5 parking at the starting station) and the hourly rate broken down for my hassles is worthwhile enough for the predicted amount of time spent (reasonably speaking), I would then consider it. Even in Boston proper (Logan takes longer to get to), if I were to go their for mystery shopping, it'd have to be a good deal because a minimum of good 2 hours would be spent getting there in addition to a minimum of $22.50 or it'd have to be easy enough to bolt on to my day if I am already in the city.

It'd then take about another 15 minutes to get to the proper subway line after getting into Boston proper, and then probably another 20 minutes to get to the airport as the silver line is known for going slow albeit it provides front door service to the terminal, or you could use the blue line but it'd be a longer walk.

So you'd be looking at 3.5 hours worth of travel plus $26.50, plus the time it takes to get past security/get badged being quite a substantial fee to be worthwhile all broken into and amortized into the shop fees offered.
Go to Top of Page

JRossetti

Elgin, Illinois
USA
12 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  09:16:42 AM  Send JRossetti an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
In that logic no one is an expert at anything. When you don't know something, you must ask a question. When a pay rate is okay at dozens of airports you don't think that money is the issue. It could be no shoppers use that airport, or as the post has listed there are tons of reasons.

What is the process to get badged at airports, and do the badges work at ALL airports or just one?

Joe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums