Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  05:40:51 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I read an article this morning regarding "Your Money" on the web about sites that sell lenses and frames VERY inexpensively. Lenses start at $6.95 plus, they offer a wide selection of inexpensive frames to choose from. The sites are:www.zennioptical.com the other site mentioned is: www.goggles.com

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
455 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  1:06:05 PM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
another one is Coastalcontacts.com I have not used them though.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

FayEF
Valued Contributor

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  6:49:15 PM  Visit FayEF's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was introduced to Zenni by a cousin in a high profile occupation but remains a stylist spendthrift.
The selections are wide, service fantastic, ordering simple, savings huge and quality superb.
What's left to say?????
Happy savings..
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  1:12:25 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Don't know how this compares price-wise to the ones already listed, but Wal-Mart Vision and Target Optical both have great deals for kids.

We go to Wal-Mart for my daughter. Frames are as little as $9 and lenses are always $25 for a pair. And it includes a free 12-month warranty for anthing except loss. If you can bring them the pieces, they will replace the frames and lenses for free, no matter what the child did to the glasses. We got four free pair the first year my daughter wore glasses--three of them because she kept snapping them at the bridge. The fourth when she took them off and a friend stepped on them. We've had lenses replaced after they were scratched a couple of times, also. No additional charge, ever.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  12:40:25 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
FAYEF, I havent used Zenni yet, but wonder, how does one know the size of frame one needs to order?
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1082 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  11:36:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I asked at Walmart what my lenses would cost (thinking Walmart would have low prices). They wanted $450 just for the lenses (progressive bifocal). I thought that sounded very high but I just got my new lenses at my doctor's clinic and they came in at $735.00 for just the lenses. They are top of the line lenses (verilux digital) with anti-glare and they turn dark in the sun but, still, $735!

I have great insurance and they pay for a pair like this every year. Otherwise I would be finding the cheapest place I could to buy glasses and they still wouldn't be CHEAP.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  07:04:53 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Ive done the same thing, and trusted the cheaper places to fill my prescription according the script written by my Ophthalmologist, only to find in most cases it wasn't! Purchased BYOGO free and found both pairs were of different prescriptions. Since my Drivers Licence renewal was coming up, I popped into the nearest vision center one day, to get a quick exam for that purpose, because I didn't feel like walking to the other end of the mall, to get one from the place I bought the BOGO free. That's when I found out the difference. TRUSTING this new eyecare center, I ordered glasses from them, again BOGO free. When they came in, I had to hold that page they give you to read all the way over to the left side of my face to read it! I decided to head for the Optho Dr and again, was told BOTH pairs were of different prescription. VERY frustrating! I also purchased at WM a pair of glasses that didn't seem just right. Went back to my Optho Dr only for him to tell me, if Id wear those much longer Id need surgery again! We only get get one set of eyes in our lifetime, so we need to protect it. I don't have insurance to cover this purchase, but after the bad experiences Ive had, I will NEVER trust my vision to another cheap outfit. I would think, because you do have a good insurance policy that covers your needs, you wouldn't worry about the expense, other than to not go over what they'll pay. If you want to save on the overall cost, Id think about purchasing your frames wherever you like, and then send them in with your lenses at your eye Drs office to get the lenses made to fit. This Zenni site offers many frames low cost, but there are also others that sell frames very reasonably.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  10:34:38 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The problem I have had with Zenni optical is that my doctor wants me to have a certain material for my lenses, and Zenni refuses to sell me that material and tries to get me to buy significantly more expensive glasses.

I have had friends with very mild prescriptions that have done well with Zenni Optical, but I do not suggest it for people with strong prescriptions.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  10:38:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Something I forgot to mention - If you below the federal low income marker, or get federal assistance such as Food Stamps or Medicaid, your local Lions club may be able to help you get free or inexpensive glasses and an eye exam. Please don't abuse this, it is for very low income only. I know here in my town you get a totally free eye exam, pair of frames, and pair of lenses (and they will approve you for polycarbonate if you have a strong prescription) once every two years. I know in Tucson where my family lives it is about $50 for an eye exam, frames, and lenses.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  09:40:32 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I THINK I may have learned something today. I DIDNT now Zenni made complete glasses, I thought they only sold frames. I haven't ordered anything from them,because I don't know how to order just a frame. A person would have to know the size they needed, right? It is really ridiculous to pay upwards of 150.00 and more for a frame, when online they cost mere pennies. Id much rather spend more on lenses that had all my needs to maintain my vision with the money Id have saved. My daughter has a friend who reps for a frame company, and she gets her daughters fashionable frames from her, then off to the opticians office they go. She hasn't encountered any problems having them made up.
Go to Top of Page

LAlao
Star Contributor

LA
USA
317 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  05:44:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
For those of use that can't afford eye exams & such... Dollar Tree! $1.00 each. They aren't sturdy but you can get a handful of them cheap.
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  9:30:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We used Zenni for the first time last month and were very pleased. Bought the very cheapest glasses and frames because my son broke his. We were very pleased, and now will buy some that are more "fashionable". lol Thanks for recommending them.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2014 :  05:56:44 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I take my daughter to Wal-Mart Vision where they charge a lot less for kids' exams and glasses. Frames start at $9 and go up as high as adult frames, but the cheap ones are fashionable and good quality. AND Wal-Mart has a one-year warranty on kids' glasses. If you can bring in the pieces, they will replace for free up to 12 months after the purchase. If you lose them or they are stolen, they are not covered. We got four pair of glasses the first year she wore them. She kept playing with them and snapping them at the bridge. We didn't pay anything for any of the replacements.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2014 :  07:04:52 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Although this entry doesn't have anything to do with Zenni, it may be of help to those that require surgery of the eyes, but don't have the finances to pay for it. Many years ago, I needed eye surgery but didn't have insurance, or the finances to pay for it. Through my ophthalmologist, I was told of the "Knights of Templar" organization that would cover partially, or all expenses based on income. The doctors office applied for the help for me. But,because my surgery couldn't be performed locally,and Id have to go out of state to get it done, the Knights would only cover a small portion,which I found not of benefit to take advantage of. But, a friends diabetic son, applied for needed surgeries to prevent blindness, and ALL the surgeries he had to have were paid for in full. There ARE organizations available to those that are low income, or don't have insurance to cover the costs. There are also organizations out there that pay for eye tests and glasses for uninsured, and low income. Don't give up. Inquire at your Ophthalmologist, or search the internet.
Go to Top of Page

CrissyR
Valued Contributor

Moriarty, New Mexico
USA
128 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  09:27:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
The one I use that I have found amazing is eyebuydirect.com

Crissy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums