Username:
Password:
Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

All Forums
 Frugality, Sweeps, Freebies, Ways to Make $
 Frugal Living
 Disaster Preparedness: What are you doing to prepare?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2012 :  4:38:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Years ago, when dh lost his job, we were able to survive because we had quite a bit stored up. The pantry is more bare than it used to be, but we are trying to build it back up again. Is anyone else stockpiling against future disasters?

http://preparednesspro.com is a good starting point.

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  06:19:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We keep things well-stocked, but not in case of disaster. It just is a smart way for our lifestyle. I buy what we need when it is on sale, then store it until it is needed. Makes more sense than waiting until we have no choice, then paying full-price. As a result, we have enough in the freezer and pantry to last quite a while. And I am creative enough in my cooking skills that we'd get by just finefor quite a while, if we had to. Maybe there wouldn't be fresh veggies or dairy, but when you have to do what is necessary to keep food in the family's tummies, that's okay.

And if there is no electricity, we can smoke and bbq what's in the freezer, as long as flooding hasn't washed everything away.

Same shopping style goes for things like tp and soap. We'd be okay for a while there, as well. We have plenty of batteries and candles--and lots of extra blankets. As long as we can remain in our home, we could survive and be able to help neighbors if they need it.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:

Only use QUOTE as needed to quote what you are replying to if it is otherwise not clear.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums