Volition.com Forums

Save PasswordRegister
Forgot Password / Username?
Home | Search | Chat | FAQ | Posting Rules

 All Forums
 Mystery Shopping, Merchandising & Demo
 Independent Contractor Taxes
 Do I need to do Back Taxes?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  


Abbotsford, British Columbia
3 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  9:58:33 PM  Visit DBilly's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
Hi, I live in Canada. I have been mystery shopping since 2009. I also do online surveys since 2004. I have not been doing any taxes because I didn't think it was necessary.

I have quite a few paperwork for both my surveys and mystery shopping.

Should I do back taxes or just start from 2013? I started keeping good track of all monies coming in since this year




Star Contributor

Houston, TX
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  11:00:25 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Darleen, are you referring to Canadian taxes or US taxes? You did not mention how much you made, or whether all your income was from mystery shopping and surveys or whether you also had W-2 wages.

If all your income was from mystery shopping and surveys and you made $400 or more per year, you should have filed taxes and used a Schedule C or C-EZ in addition to the 1040 or 1040A.

It is always a good idea to prepare a tax return each year even if you are not required to actually file the return. That way, if a question ever came up about previous years and why a tax return was not filed, you would already have the information.

If I were in your shoes, I would prepare tax returns for all the years since 2009. At least do this for your own records. If you prepare these by hand, be sure to use the proper forms for each year and the schedules pertinent to each year. Who knows, you might have some money due to you. If you decide to file these returns with the IRS, it would be a good idea to have them all prepared before doing so. I can guarantee you that, if you send in one return from 2009, and the IRS can see you did not file after that, they are going to question you about the other years.

There are also websites that will help you prepare past returns. I think one of them is www.filelate.com . There will be a fee. There is a free one called backtaxeshelp.com . And, there are others.

Please contact me by email if you wish. I might be able to answer questions that you may have.

MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:
Active Topics

If you are logged in, click the link above to see all the topics that have had posts since your last visit.

 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums