Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  06:20:13 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
My daughter did most of the work for her Halloween costume this year, from the idea to the design to the execution. I am so proud of her. She spent $10 to buy a reproduction Rosie the Riveter employment pin for her lapel. That was the biggest investment. She wanted all the details to be perfect because of the costume contest at school today.

She got a $2.00 indigo denim jumpsuit at a garage sale that fits perfectly--no tailoring needed! She found 1/4 yard red w/white dots fabric in the remnants section at the fabric store for $.50. She printed the , "We Can Do It" speech bubble onto card stock, photoshopped it so the back/front bubble match up and you can read it from either side, and attached it to a thin head band she already owned.

An oatmeal box, cereal box, and duct tape created a lunch box that is strong enough that she carried her lunch to school in it today. She went shopping with her dad for new school shoes, and since she wears a women's size 11 shoe, they found a pair of black boots in the men's department that she loves. They just happened to be perfect for her Rosie costume as well as her Colonial Days costume (required for Social Studies last week), in addition to being her favorite school shoes.

A couple of bobby pins to hold the pin curls at her forehead and she's ready. From the few costumes I saw as I dropped her at school, I think she has a fairly good chance of her efforts paying off.

It's quite a change from the elaborate princess costumes I made for her for years. My baby is growing up!

What cost-conscious costumes are you making this year?

Jnanne
Silver certified

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
456 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  08:49:11 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
our department at work did a skit based on "What does the Fox say?" Video. I was a cat and spent less than $10 on a mask and ears. I already had a black outfit that was similar to the one dressed as a cat in the video.

Oh and we got first place for department skit!

How did your daughter do? I love Rosie the Riveter!

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  06:04:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No prize this year. Too bad she's outgrown the cockroach we made a few years back. It could win frequently, as long as the venue changes so the judges have never seen it before!

We came in second with our jail in the back of the car on Trunk or Treat night at the church--another very cheap set-up with my duty jacket, badge, handcuffs, the jumpsuit we bought at Goodwill and didn't use for Rosie, and electrical tape for the bars. Since we threw it together at the last minute I was amazed we got any votes, but I think the child in the jumpsuit trying to dance to Jailhouse Rock while handcuffed and seated in the back of the Montero was the main draw. Second place prize is the satisfaction of knowing you won second place.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:

If your email address changes,
please be sure to update your profile.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums