Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  2:40:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just read an ad that ended with "shop till you drop." I always found this to be an idiotic expression to put in an ad, as who would want to drop?

It would be like having an ad for a Fun Run end with "walk till you vomit." No, it is a fun run, I'll walk till I've had enough.

I will shop till it is no longer enjoyable, but not till I faint or pass out from exhaustion.

How about a car ad saying "You'll love this car so much you will drive it till you pass out behind the wheel."

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  08:15:38 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Maybe the foot massage place at the mall should work off that--"If you shop till you are ready to drop, then drop in here and we'll revive you with a soothing massage."

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JuanitaJ
Star Contributor

Houston, TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  1:26:58 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There used to be an American game show called Shop Til You Drop which ran from 1991 to 1994 and then had reruns in 1996.

In the round they called "Shop Til You Drop Round" team members (usually husband and wife) had a limited amount of time to shop for a certain goal. Maybe shop for 90 seconds to reach $2500. They shopped at a four-story mall.

So there was pressure on them. Then I guess the phrase stuck. Another bit of info I found said it means shop til you are broke.

It's interesting to find how phrases and words originate. I subscribe to an email that discusses odd words and explains the meanings and origins.

Juanita
MSPA Gold Certified
Happily shopping the Houston, TX area.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3052 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  7:35:18 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Since moving to Louisiana I have heard two phrases that I had never heard before. The first is, "It tastes so good it makes you want to slap your mama." I don't get that at all.

The second sounds worse than it is. If food tastes particularly good, some say the cook, "must have put her foot in it." While it sounds like the cook's foot must be mighty tasty, it refers to working so hard at something that you have to use your foot to brace yourself to get a good grip and do your best. It's considered a high compliment.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Get Active!

If you just read, you are not really a member.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums