Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ray Sola
Volition.com Staff

Prescott, AZ
USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  3:54:52 PM  Visit Ray Sola's Homepage  Reply  Reply with Quote
I prefer to let my clothes dry on a line or just laid out. Besides saving money on electricity, the clothes last longer. Dryers weaken the fabric’s fibers. And the lint in the dryer is fabric slowly wearing off of your clothes.

Here's some reading for those who do not line dry.

5 reasons to line dry your laundry

To Fight Global Warming, Some Hang a Clothesline

A Clothesline Will Save BIG Money, Energy and Carbon Emissions

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2014 :  11:10:40 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
We aren't allowed outdoor clotheslines here.

I have thought about an indoor line, but in my small place there just isn't a place to put it. In the winter, since I don't heat anything but the room(s) I actively use, I don't think it would be good for the clothing to be wet that long. Who knows that may be in the walls here.

I do hang dry my good lingerie in the shower. I do heat the bathroom in the winter.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  06:38:46 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I too prefer to hang clothes out on the line winter, or summer. They smell fresh and look cleaner, and with a wind the wrinkles disappear. No ironing required. Maybe hanging things out IS the reason towels and sheets that were bought 25-30 years ago last so long.You get tired of looking at the same items year after year though! Lines in the basement, or the dryer, get used only on extremely cold, or rainy weather days. My former MIL always hung laundry outside, and neighbors used to compliment her on having the whitest whites, and they lived on a farm where things really got dirty.
Go to Top of Page

Marie In Chicago
Mega Contributor

Chicago, IL
USA
62073 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2014 :  1:27:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember my mom hanging clothes out in the winter, the jeans looked like they could walk they were so stiff. And those wonderful clothes pin marks that were left on t-shirts.

Nothing like the smell of dried clothes flapping in the wind on a summer day though.
Go to Top of Page

Sue Br.
Star Contributor

Oklahoma
USA
660 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  06:02:24 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I remember my mother handing clothes out, especially sheets and when I got in to them they were crispy and smelled so clean. I don't use fabric softener on my sheets hoping to get that crispy feel back but it doesn't work with a dryer. I miss my crispy sheets and my mother.

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Julie_WA_Writer
Star Contributor

Western, Washington
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2016 :  10:28:28 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Except for in July and August, the clothes just don't get dry here I cut costs in other places, but I need my dryer :-).

“Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” Tacitus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition ® Copyright © All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums