Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  12:47:09 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was told by an Italian lady I just met that she bakes her sweet corn. I looked up the recipe and it is on Food Network. Leave the corn in the husks, rinse it off, lay it on the rack in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes at 350. I am going to try that tonight. Sounds really good to me as I like anything baked in the oven the best.

Has anyone tried this? And if you have why didn't you tell me??

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  06:07:58 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Up here, we soak the corn in the husk in ice water for an hour, and then place on the gas/charcoal grill. Now thats great summertime eating! I wouldnt think the taste would be much different in the oven, other than possibly the flavor taken on by grilling it. Know youll love it McBarb.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  7:04:48 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have done that too...soaked the corn in water, then grill. The baked corn was awesome. The only part I did not care for was the burning smell ...when I put it on the oven rack, it did burn some of the silk and the husk which kind of stunk. I have also had soaked corn in dark beer, then grilled w/husks.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2015 :  07:27:35 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
By doing it in the oven did the burning odor affect the taste of the corn negatively? When I do it on the grill it doesnt, and any leftovers are left in the husk, then wrapped in plastic wrap and reheated in the mic for another day.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2015 :  4:43:57 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Judy, the taste of the corn was not burned at all. It also did not smell bad or smell burned. The only part that burned were the outer leaves of the husk and the silk that touched the rack. Next time, I will soak it in water or maybe put it on a pan with some water in it. I think boiling anything takes away the nutrition and taste. I much prefer to bake potatoes, now corn, any poultry, fish, veggies etc.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  07:37:19 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I've done this a little differently. After soaking in cold water for an hour, I pull the husks back, remove the silk, put on spices--whatever you like--and butter, then replace the husks before baking or grilling. It takes a bit longer to cook this way, but the taste is worth the wait.

I've wondered if it would be smarter to pull off the silk when the corn is dry and easier to remove, but I am afraid that soaking after messing with the husk would affect the taste of the corn. Will that allow more water to soak into the kernels and cob? Maybe that would be a good thing? The additional water in the corn makes it steam, which aids in the cooking. I don't know--someday I may experiment with it, but for now I like the way it turns out.

350 degrees f in the oven for 20-30 minutes--depending on the size of the ears and the patience of the cook. Also, I put them on a baking pan, so I've never experienced the burned husks on the oven racks.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums