Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  2:04:27 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yesterdays local tv news reported a fundraiser for a local Humane
Association, which allowed comments by viewers. One viewer commented this particular Humane association sells euthanized dogs and cats to research. I commented, asking if this poster had proof. No response. Curious, I performed a google search and couldnt find any information regarding such a practice. What I did find shocked me more though. The animals euthanized at kill societies are sold to renderers to make pet food, yes, pet food that our dogs and cats eat!They pulverize the remains into meat meal. The remains of euthanized farm animals, circus animals, diseased animals, are all used not only to make pet food, but also, in the cosmetics we buy. I had my dog euthanized, and then cremated thankfully, but wonder how many prefer to just euthanize and leave the remains with the vet to discard, and IF this happening in your community.

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  5:40:36 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Well, I did dissect a cat in my anatomy class in college and I doubt it was raised just for that purpose. I prefer to think that a cat that was going to be euthanized anyway was put to use in this manner rather than just discarded and other animals were bred just for college anatomy classes.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2015 :  12:29:21 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Why would you dissect a cat? For what purpose would the information be used?
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  07:23:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
In the pre-med program students dissect lots of creatures to learn ow the muscles fit together, to trace the arteries and veins, to learn the bones and connective tissue. In the undergraduate programs there is not much access to primates. Once you get to med school you can work on cadavers, but before then you learn the basics from other animals.

I don't want a doctor working on me who doesn't know how the body works, and this is the first step toward hands-on learning regarding these concepts. Some things just can't be learned well enough only by studying diagrams and reading text.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  10:11:15 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I should have thought of that. As a pet owner,the thought of my best friend being used for research without my permission would be very upsetting. Worse though, would be to find out my dog/cat were sold to renders to be made into meat meal used in making our dog/cat foods. All the more reason to have our pets cremated.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:

Only use QUOTE as needed to quote what you are replying to if it is otherwise not clear.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums