Next Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  12:03:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am seriously considering going vegetarian. I love vegetables and beans with cheese. I can save money and it may be healthier for me. Of course I can expect to crave a cheeseburger once in while.

Are any of you vegetarians?

HeatherP
Star Contributor

AZ
USA
368 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  03:37:01 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I was a vegetarian twice. I started when I was 16 and that lasted until I was about 20. I started again when I was around 27 and that lasted until I was about 30. I felt healthier as a veggie. My problem was getting enough quality protein and not the carbs when I was diagnosed as a diabetic. Part of my problem is that I am incredibly picky when it comes to vegetables and only recently I have started to branch out. It is NOT hard to find the information you need online regarding how to balance your diet and get all the nutrients you need. It takes a little planning, but if you like a wide range of foods I think you can do pretty well.

Heather
Silver Certified Shopper
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  10:27:54 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, if you decide to do this be sure to keep us informed. My neighbors are vegans, curious about it,I didnt know how to approach her about what they eat,or how they cook with Tofu. She and her hubby are tall,and very thin. Neither looks healthy. A good wind would blow both away. They seem to maintain their weight though, which might be a good reason for some of us to become vegans.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  4:36:16 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Heather and Judy, I have never done this before cuz everyone I knew that was a vegetarian was sick a lot and did not look healthy. Before I start eating lettuce and tomato sandwiches....(just kidding!), I am going to find good sources of protein and everything else I am supposed to have on a daily basis. Heather, you were right... there is a LOT of info on this. I also want to talk to a nutritionist or my Dr. as I have colitis and bladder problems. I think it will be like when I stopped smoking cigs. Once I stopped, I could never go back!! I still have to get rid of the turkey, ground beef, all the chicken and canned tuna fish in my frig and freezer!! My first search will be about veggie lasagna. I love that.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  07:44:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
It is really pretty easy to stay healthy and find good protein in a vegetarian diet--as long as you don't go vegan. Vegans eat no animal products of any kind. No dairy, no fish, etc.

Other vegetarians consume eggs, dairy, and non-red meat. Some only fish, and not fowl.

If you truly want to go vegan, talking with a medical professional who can monitor your blood chemistry to make certain you are getting proper nutrition is important--at least until you get the basics down. Many folk don't do this and end up with ugly medical maladies as a result of malnutrition.

It can be done. It just takes some work. Healthy eating, no matter what your decision regarding the proteins in your life, everyone!

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  09:27:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I definitely will not go vegan. I want to eat mostly vegetables, cheese, nuts and beans.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  11:05:47 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I saw an article about nutrition that said chicken breast has 28 grams of protein. Most vegetables on the chart did not have 1/2 of that. Greek yogurt had 17 grams. That was a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  4:20:10 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Question... I found some different recipes for veggie lasagna. One says to dice the veggies...zucchini and eggplant, then put that in the lasagna and bake.....another recipe says to slice zucchini and eggplant, coat with olive oil, bake for 20 minutes, then add garlic before layering in the lasagna. I have fresh broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, carrots, ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella. I will make vegetable lasagna Saturday. Which sounds better? Baking the veggies before putting in or dicing? Dicing would be much easier and save money on using the oven. I am thinking with all of the other ingredients that would be the way to go.

I ended up sauteing the eggplant and zucchini in olive oil before layering. I used my jalapenos I grew in the sauce along with shredded carrots and oregano. I layered sauce first, then a mixture of cooked spinach with ricotta and 2 eggs, noodles, veggies (eggplant and zuc.), then mozzarella... it was yummy.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  2:49:43 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I had intended asking you how your veggie lasagna turned out, but you beat me to it. I gather you have decided to try eating only vegetables, cheese and nuts then, until you cant take it any longer. I like many veggies, but not too sure I could do it for very long.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2015 :  11:38:16 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did a search and found some interesting articles on vegetable dishes. Frittatas, mexican lasagna, veggie lasagna, veggie pizza (on ww english muffins), quesadillas, veggie soup, minnestrone soup, veggie smoothie, hummus (homemade is a cinch), man 'n cheese with broccoli.... yellow w/red pepps and quite a few more. I still need to check out the nuts and beans. I got a veggie nutrition chart printed out and got 2 websites to check on. Of course there are vegetable casseroles with cheese too!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2015 :  12:46:30 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Some of the choices sound very interesting, but my over all favorite is homemade Mac n'Cheese with broccoli! If youre not used to eating a lot of broccoli though, lookout. Both Minestrone, and vegetable soup are also very good,as are vegetable pizzas. Instead of a regular bun some use lettuce leaves with an assortment of fresh veggies served on it, or veggie burgers from the grocery store. It seems all beans are very good for you, and can be used in many dishes. Youre going to have fun trying out new recipes.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2015 :  5:21:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
How can I forget stuffed cabbage and stuffed pepper?!! Those definitely do not have to have meat. I have used brown rice, garlic, chopped veggies and cheese.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  4:19:44 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Stir-fries can be awesome, too. You can use the same technique but vary the veggies and the sauce. Generally I use a little Pam or canola oil in the skillet or wok with whatever spices sound good that evening, stir-fry whichever veggies happen to be available, then mix 1-2 T cornstarch with 1/2 cup liquid, and pour it into the pan. It thickens pretty quickly.

Liquid can be any juice, milk, wine...the liquid and the spices in the stir-fry determine the taste to a great extent. Tofu works very well in this, as does fake crab and other sea food (if you decide to go that route). Just veggies is great, too, especially if you grew them yourself!

Serve with rice or rice noodles or Ramen noodles.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  09:30:59 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Jnanne, thanks for that idea! I forgot about stir fries. I saw a recipe for spaghetti squash with sauce and will try that too.

Today I am making black eyed pea soup with black eyed peas, tomatoes, garlic, scallions, red and yellow peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, water, rosemary, thyme and kale. I am making some on the stove and some in the crockpot. Crockpot batch will be better.... always is. I have a 4 quart crockpot. Maybe Santa will get me a large one.

Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  12:45:14 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This is most definitely the best soup I EVER made.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  05:58:54 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do you like pickles McBarb? There is a wonderful recipe I was told available online for Dill Pickle soup, polish style. When I was told of it,my first reactions was disbelief, and who would use pickles as the main ingredient in a soup of all things. I have to believe most would think the same. I was given a 5 gallon sealed bucket of dill pickles, and not in need of pickles, wondered what Id do with them. This friend said to make pickle soup. Thinking he was joking, he went on to tell how to make it, and what it tasted like. Curious, I had to google it, and indeed there are recipes available. After reading the comments for the polish made soup, and telling my son about it, he said he is going to give the soup a try, as I gave him the pail of pickles. I have to guess someone made up this recipe out of necessity, possibly during very hard times. Has anyone ever heard of, or made it?
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2015 :  2:06:35 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I asked my Dr. today about going vegetarian as I have colitis and my father died from colon cancer at age of 56. He said it would be great and reduce my risk of getting colon cancer. I am making vegetable soup for dinner and have cheese raviolis. Green beans, scallions, carrots, green/red/yellow peppers, celery, potatoes, parsley, kidney beans and sweet potatoes!!
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  8:18:19 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a tasty supper, Barb. And talking with your doctor about the change in diet was the best way to go. Hope you enjoy the journey.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  4:53:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
This has been a great experience so far. I am also making my own beans instead of eating canned. My friend is very good at eating healthy. She HAD diabetes but no longer does. Anyways, she told me to get dried beans and cook them in the crockpot. WOW!!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  10:23:47 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, if youre one of those who still soak your dried beans overnight, there is an easier, faster way to get the job done. Place beans in a kettle, fill with water just two inches above. Set kettle on stove on high temp, and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool.Theyre now ready to use in the recipe of your choice. Im one of those that always wants to make something, but, time isnt always on my side at the time to prepare. This works great for last minute ideas.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1689 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  4:47:17 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I am planning on making homemade bread too. I like the flavor of things cooked in the crockpot or oven the best. I am planning on making pizza with whole wheat crust. That should be really fun along with a tossed salad.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums