Previous Page

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  12:09:07 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
There is snow on the ground and I am in the mood to do another batch of vegetable soup! I have sweet potatoes, russett potatoes, carrots, fresh green beans, scallions, garlic, cabbage, zucchini squash and fresh tomatoes. Hmmmmm..... good!!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  12:03:27 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I did not make it as a vegetarian. I love to eat chicken and fish. I had a pot roast this past weekend and feel like I gained 5 lbs. I hadn't eaten any beef at all for a long time.....It has been months. Anyways, I think it is for someone with a lot more income than I have. Protein is a very important source for a lot of reasons. I very much missed the protein.

I read on the Internet that Bill Clinton is a vegan. He had heart problems and used to eat at Mickey Dee's. No more.... good for him.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  08:03:26 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
High protein can also be found in health drinks such as Boost and Ensure. Since I'm supposed to have a lot of high protein, my daughter sent me a variety of drinks she got from the salesman at her clinic. I can't drink the stuff, but possibly you could. A good site to get recipes is Macmillan. Org uk (?) google it. But, as you say, it isn't cheap to eat healthy. My grandsons wife brought over several meals, and I could only eat so much quinoa rice, broccoli, shrimp and chicken. Some of the recipes on the Macmillan site sounded a lot more interesting, and I may try one or two,, but thought you might appreciate a little help in case you wanted to incorporate some healthy meals along with your normal eating habits. My daughter drinks a bottle of one of these healthy drinks each morning, has a cup of soup at lunch and a healthy meal each night. Just a little tweaking and you could change your meal plan too. IF you still desire healthy eating on the cheap.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  09:30:58 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I do not understand why quinoa is so healthy. It is expensive so why it is so good for you? I like couscous.... is it similar to quinoa?
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  2:30:35 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
McBarb, you're asking the wrong person as I have no idea. All I do know is eating this healthy stuff is like eating sand, weeds, and grass to me. Good smelling, great smell, but I can get past the other My son from up north really likes the stuff, so I. Cut and freeze the dinners for him when he comes..lol
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3047 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2016 :  06:56:28 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Quinoa is high in protein and fiber. And if you substitute a portion of the flour when baking, it gives a nice texture to muffins, breads, and cakes without much change to the taste. I also like it mixed into oatmeal. Or it can be mixed with flour or cornmeal to coat foods for frying.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2016 :  3:46:13 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Thank you!!
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1670 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  12:41:42 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Can I bake a canned pumpkin pie in a graham cracker crust? I am just too lazy to make a pie crust.
edited to say yes I can!! I did a search. It looks good too. It is my birthday Friday and I am going to make a pumpkin pie in graham cracker crust along with an apple pie.
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  05:32:14 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
Really? That would be a different kind of pie for sure. What do they suggest protecting the crust from burning at the high temperature( 425 degrees, isn't it) that is required to start off the baking? Also, making homemade bread isn't easy when we get older as I found out. Throwing it together wasn't the problem, but when I got done to having to knead the bread for the time it needed, I ran out of steam and felt like my arms were going to fall off! That is of course,unless you're going to try making those all grain type breads, which I know absolutely nothing about, other than they are high protein, turn out too heavy, and dry, which I don't care for personally. My taste runs along the soft and light breads which I try to locate in the healthy choice area in the bread aisle that I found online to choose from to buy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums