Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  09:31:26 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
My neighbor lady brought over a cake, and it was absolutely delicious, I asked for the recipe shortly after, and she hasnt come forward with it. All I know is her recipe had pineapple in it, the cake was dark, and moist. Ive tried two different recipes found online that had 5 star ratings, but neither were dark, and didnt compare to hers.

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2015 :  07:58:07 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I haven't made one for years, but something I do regularly:

Take your favorite yellow or spice cake recipe. Grate the zukes into the batter. Add any spices you love (those generally used for Pumpking Pie are perfect), and bake as you normally would. You may need to increase the baking time because the volume of the batter is increased, so keep an eye on it.

I do this with applesauce or diced/grated apples, mashed bananas, mashed pears, and just about any berry. Works great with squash and pumpkin, too.

You may also want to try this with a chocolate cake recipe--or add a tablespoon or so of cocoa to the batter for the spice cake or the yellow cake.

(I am just not very good at following recipes--always have to play with them and be creative--have fun).

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2015 :  3:44:13 PM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
You and my son are alike, he too, loves to play around with recipes. In his case, some are edible,, and others not though. He is down visiting again now, and brought with him a quart of horseradish pickles that Id think twice before eating! Remember my telling you about those 5 gallon pails of pickles I gave him, well, he decided to change things up. The brine is very cloudy, and slimy looking from outward appearances.
Thanks for the yellow cake idea, Ill give it a try and see how that turns out. I generally dont use boxed cake mixes, nor does my neighbor lady, but WILL give this one a try. I made a homemade apple cake the other day that fit the moistness test, and had I eliminated the apples, added more spices, added the crushed pineapple and zucchini to it,along with extra flour, it would have been perfect. That will be my next experiment.
Go to Top of Page

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3045 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  7:39:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
You could use a box mix if you want. Or a favorite family recipe. Or something from Fannie Farmer or Joy of Cooking.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Get Active!

If you just read, you are not really a member.

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums