Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  06:31:48 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for high protein foods recipes that are healthy, but not made of stuff I consider grass or weed eating. Meats are limited to 1 ounce -whoopy-there goes the steak! My grandson is bringing some bison and ostrich meat, my x-husband is furnishing delicious venison Bologna and fish. Game meat is supposed to be very lean and excellent food source. But, what can I serve along with these to be delicious and high protein? There are so many things I can't eat that I once enjoyed and having Pancreatic cancer patients aren't allowed, it makes meal planning extremely difficult. So far, it's been guess and experience problems, or possibly a good reaction depending on ingredients allowed which hasn't been much provided by hospital. No gravies, white sauce, everything has to be lite, low cholesterol, no fat, low carbs. Any ideas? Recipes?

Jnanne
Star Contributor

LA
USA
3049 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2016 :  7:36:01 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Do you like quinoa, lentils, garbanzo beans, or just about any dried bean? Are these allowed on your diet?

I recommend dahl--a friend from Calcutta taught me to make it. Don't ask for measurements, as I don't cook that way. You know your way around a kitchen and your tastebuds, so give it your best guess: saute onion, garlic, garam masala (a combination of spices--choose whatever spices you like with beans--I recommend bay leaves, basil, black pepper if you don't generally keep Indian spices in your pantry) in butter--or in squeeze bottle fake margarine for those of us with cholesterol problems. When onion is translucent, add bite-sized chicken chunks and saute till browned. Add lentils and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 30 minutes. This dish is wonderful without the chicken, but adding meat of some kind makes my husband like any dried bean more. I prefer this dish vegetarian.

Hummus is pureed chick peas (garbanzo beans) with spices and a little lemon juice. Garlic is a popular spice in hummus. My daughter prefers roasted red peppers in hers.

I don't know any quinoa recipes off the top of my head, but I am pretty sure the grain is high in protein. You may want to google recipes. I just add it to oatmeal when I cook it, put it in my bread dough--well basically add it to a lot of my baking. Anything to increase the fiber for my child, the constipation queen.

Jnanne
Silver certified
Go to Top of Page

Iron Chef Toni
Star Contributor

Plano, TX
USA
462 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2016 :  08:51:11 AM  Send Iron Chef Toni an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
America's Test Kitchen has a recipe for Quinoa Pilaf that is very flexible as well as delicious. Even my 13 year old picky eater niece liked it. Not only ate it when I made it but ate the leftovers cold for breakfast. I tend to double the lemon juice. I have used mint or basil for the herbs and added cubed feta cheese for more flavor. I brought it to a holiday potluck adding toasted pecans and dried cranberries for a festive touch.

Quinoa Pilaf with Herbs and Lemon
Serves 4-6

1 1/2 cups prewashed quinoa
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces
1 small onion, chopped fine
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups water
3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1. Toast quinoa in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until quinoa is very fragrant and makes continuous popping sound, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer quinoa to bowl and set aside.

2. Return now-empty pan to medium-low heat and melt butter. Add onion and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and light golden, 5 to 7 minutes.

3. Increase heat to medium-high, stir in water and quinoa, and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until grains are just tender and liquid is absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Remove pan from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff quinoa with fork, stir in herbs and lemon juice, and serve.

Toni
Gold certified in N. Texas
Now doing Merchandising exclusively!
Go to Top of Page

JudyK
Star Contributor

Eau Claire, WI. 54703-1729
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  09:27:17 AM  Send JudyK an AOL message  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got my first taster of Bison, now that is some good meat. Tastes a lot like ground beef but a bit sweeter. My son cooked burgers on the grill just until the inside was a light pink, since overlooking makes the meat dry. I threw on all the goodies I could eat, and enjoyed it very much. Not to often I can say that. The next chunk of meat is a bison roast, that will cook in the slow cooker all day and be made into thin slices for tacos, unspecified, but still sounds good. My grandsons wife made up several dishes made with quinoa, now that has to be an acquired taste! To me it was like eating weeds, grass and grit. My son from up north loves it though. Since I have to have someone babysit me while I'm on this chemo, he'll have plenty to eat. Still having problems getting the diet down using "normal" foods though. It's still trial and error, and pay dearly through the night if it was wrong. I've lost 30# so far, and wearing clothes I set aside for "someday" that I bought new and grew out of before getting to wear. I've been dropping a size every other week, so far. Chemo has been a beast! No nausea or diarrhea, but extremely weak, and breathless when walking the twenty steps from my bedroom to the kitchen. It's as if I ran a 10Kmarathon. IF this is what they call living, I'd rather die to be blunt. My daughters Oncologists at her clinic, have recommended a different chemo treatment, which I will be talking to my oncologist about Wednesday. IF he won't give the treatments, then I'm flying to AZ to start treated, and then they'll have my stuff transferred back home so I won't be refused. More than one way to skin a cat, right? The difference in chemo is that the one I'm on is a beastly one, with many side effects that I've already experienced that will only get worse with each treatment, and may last a few months to forever after I'm done.The one recommended has few side effects, are tolerable, and will not cause me to be bedridden or so weak I feel like a limp rag, yet with the same amount of survival time as the beast (18 months). For the past three days I've been picking up a little energy each day, just in time for more chemo to come this week. Back to the same ole after that, and then start all over, unless Dr agrees to new chemo.We shall see how that goes. ALL I want is quality of life, not longevity out of this mess!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Forum Tip:
Go to Top of Page

The easiest way to get back up to the top is to look to the lower right corner of the posts and of the whole page and click this: top

Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums