Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  2:48:03 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just received an e mail from Snap Audits in Wilmington, Delaware. Looks kind of suspicious to me. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  5:51:24 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got one today also. Said at bottom of page they got my email from
World alliance. I haven't checked the website yet.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  7:15:31 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Sue A, what makes suspicious, is the request for a contractor EIN. Any of the 1099 contractor jobs I've ever worked, you could use your SS #, in lieu of the EIN. My first thought is this could be a phishing expedition with a nice looking website. I hope there are some other responders.
Go to Top of Page

Sue A
Star Contributor

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  3:23:43 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have never been asked for a EIN, neither. I thought that was strange too.

Sue A
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

IvetteG

Sicklerville, NJ
USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  12:24:41 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Same here.. Things that make you go HMMMMMMM

Ivette
Go to Top of Page

PheePhee
Valued Contributor

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  05:14:45 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I received an email from them also but I didn't look into it yet.

Phee
MSPA Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

April2013
Valued Contributor

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  05:47:41 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got a couple. Deleted them.
Go to Top of Page

MCBarb
Star Contributor

USA
1633 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  07:53:17 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I got 2 emails from them so I decided to call. You have to have an EIN number. I have enough trouble keeping up with the paperwork I have now.
Go to Top of Page

Robert A. Miller
Star Contributor

PA
USA
387 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  6:18:34 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Still smells of trouble to me. Definitely a way to get ID theft, without using SS#. Especially when IRS permits use of either for compensation reporting.
Go to Top of Page

WendyG
Star Contributor

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  11:46:29 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
ISN is the company that does the SNAP audits. I worked for them a few years ago. The EIN is a special number you have to get from the IRS website. You have to keep everything separate for taxes than from you "hobby" reporting and have to file a different schedule c. IT IS A PAIN>>>>>>>

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

BeverlyAnn
Star Contributor

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  3:43:59 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WendyG

ISN is the company that does the SNAP audits. I worked for them a few years ago. The EIN is a special number you have to get from the IRS website. You have to keep everything separate for taxes than from you "hobby" reporting and have to file a different schedule c. IT IS A PAIN>>>>>>>

This is a different company, not the one sponsored by ISN that does the Food Stamp audits. This SNAP has been mentioned on another forum under the Merchandising section. Apparently it is run by Tammy Little, who worked for Castforce before it all became CAST. I got several emails and a phone call from them. I'm not interested because of the requirement to get an EIN. Haven't needed one in the 11 years I've been MSing and Merchandising, so not getting one now.

BeverlyAnn
Silver Certified x6xbkn
Go to Top of Page

Jeana
Valued Contributor

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  05:04:12 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote

I agree. In 13 years of merchandising and working for various companies I haven't needed an EIN and don't see a need to get one. I don't know anything else about the company but if it weren't for this requirement I would check into it. I've received 2 emails but I haven't responded.

Jeana,
Silver Certified
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2842 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  5:11:12 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Having the EIN isn't a problem and safer than giving out your SS number. Getting isn't hard either. We should all be filing the same schedule. It's called a schedule C. Schedule C is for anyone working for themselves, and not a farmer. Yes Schedule C's are harder than a standard 1040A or 1040EZ, but it's the correct way to pay self-employment taxes.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2016 :  1:25:46 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
According to the IRS, an Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) or the Federal Tax Identification Number, the EIN is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.

Why would any employee need an EIN? If you are being paid with a 1099, you are still an employee. I have been filling out (well my accountant has) a schedule C for many years to get back the monies I am out for various expenses and not reimbursed for and I have never had an EIN number.

This is from the Ca. Government ta service.

Employer Identification Number (EIN) - Do I Need One?

Though it's commonly called an employer Identification Number (EIN), there are times when you may need an EIN even though you do not have employees. An EIN can be used to identify a business entity that is legally separate from yourself, such as your corporation, partnership or retirement plan. Generally, businesses need an EIN. One exception is a sole proprietor with no employees. However, sole proprietors who must pay federal excise or payroll taxes will need an EIN, too.

Frequently asked questions about whether you need an EIN and how to apply for one can be found at the Small Business/Self Employed section of the IRS website.

If you need to apply for an EIN, complete Application for Employer Identification Number (IRS Form SS4). The instructions to Form SS-4 and Publication 1635 provide addresses and fax numbers by geographic location for submitting your application. Publications and forms are available by phone at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Here is the EIN form. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf

Looking at the form and where it asks why you are filling out the form, why would any employee need to fill this out? I am confused.
Go to Top of Page

Cathy O
Contributor

Richmond, MI
USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  06:37:31 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
According to the IRS website any one paying an independent contractor needs their social security number or an EIN. May be why they are doing the EIN and not asking us for a SS number. I keep getting their emails too but haven't responded and don't intend to.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Estep

Rantoul, IL
USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  10:28:54 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Interesting that they are doing the same gas station audits that CAST did a couple of months ago and the paperwork is clearly Castforce paperwork with the names changed. I wonder if CAST lost the jobs to them since the owner used to work for Castforce?

Larry
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2842 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  03:53:42 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I just got one of those emails. I already have an EIN, so that's not a problem.

Has anyone actually worked for them?

Marla
Go to Top of Page

MarlaB
Star Contributor

Attica, IN
USA
2842 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  03:57:40 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
I went into their website after asking about them and this is what I found on their home page.

"SnapAudits is not an employer. We ONLY contract with contractors with established independent merchandising businesses that provide professional audit and merchandising services. To qualify, you must have a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) to validate you are a legal independent business. Click on the link below to register for a free EIN through the IRS website."

I'm not interested in another company to refer me to companies. that's what they look like.

Marla
Go to Top of Page

DChristine
Valued Contributor

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2016 :  1:52:30 PM  Reply  Reply with Quote
Anything new on this company? Has anyone worked for them? I received a called me and left a message. I returned their call and never heard back from them. Wondering if I should bother trying to return their call again.
Go to Top of Page

SharonQ
Star Contributor

East Coast!
USA
881 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2016 :  10:50:29 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
If any of you ever did the CVS gift card resets, you know what a huge pain these were. They simply could not be done in the time given. They usually ended up having to be heavily bonused to get anyone to take them. Well the most recent round of jobs for Snap are these same resets. They are estimated to take 4 hours and pay $32.50. That's less than minimum wage.

Call me crazy, but I LOVE resets!
Yes, even cosmetic resets.
Go to Top of Page

Big Sue
Star Contributor

USA
781 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  01:16:43 AM  Reply  Reply with Quote
No wonder they want everyone to be an IC. That way they can get away with not paying the proper legal wages per state. Wow, how dishonest is that?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Volition Copyright All rights reserved. Volition is a registered trademark of Volition.com LLC. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Software © Snitz Forums